Coffs Harbour Double Textures

Bruce R

I'm running W10 with P3D V4.3.  When Version 4.3 came out I did a fresh install of P3D, followed by all my ORBX sceneries.  This included Coffs Harbour.  Also included in my ORBX downloads is FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector and FTX Australia.  Today, for the first time since the fresh install, I visited Coffs Harbour.  I see there's two versions of the taxiways and runways, and some signs on the taxiway.  To try to correct this I have un-installed Coffs Harbour and then re-installed it but it made no difference.  I have also run Airport Elevation Corrections just in case but that did nothing as well.  It's not so much an elevation issue because both 'versions' are on the same level.  It's the doubling up.  On the Vector Add-Ons page I have FTX Australia ticked.  I do have some Ants sceneries installed but nothing to do with Coffs Harbour. 

I have attached a couple of screen shots.  Do you have any idea what could cause this, or where I should look to turn something 'OFF'.  

Regards

Bruce R

2018-10-23_17-34-51-485.thumb.jpg.962ecba69f890ac2a1860d7a52437c62.jpg   

2018-10-23_19-41-23-651.thumb.jpg.4d74d6bdc634d9ceda2a76f21d5f4367.jpg    

On 10/24/2018 at 1:18 AM, Sibbritt said:

Just go into the AI programmes SCENERY folder

Thanks for both of the replies.  I've had Coffs Harbour installed in FSX, P3D V3 and 4.2 previously without problems.  This has just occurred since my fresh install of P3D v4.3.  I don't have Traffic 306 or MyTraffic.  I did have MyTraffic up until P3D v4.2 but there were no problems.  When I re-installed P3D for version 4.3 I purchased Traffic Global.  I'm not sure if that would cause this problem or not.  Anyway,  just on the off chance it may, I un-installed Traffic Global to check.  Now P3D won't open.  It stays hung on the opening page.  At this stage it looks like I'm going to have to un-install P3D - which will be a real pain in the butt to say the least.  I'll check over at the Traffic Global forums first before I do anything drastic.  

Bruce R    

There is a small bug in 4.3 which has to do with scenery library insertions. Sometimes when you change in addon sceneries it results in a corrupt scenery.cfg and addon-scenery.cfg.

There is a fixer in the P3D main folder that basically resets your scenery inserts but I have used http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/ to see if there are any issues with my scenery.cfg and corrected them that way instead which has worked for me.

Not sure that is your problem but maybe when you uninstalled Traffic Global there was some scenery entries that were removed incorrectly, might be worth checking that solution out first before reinstalling everything anyway, it's basically the only bug I know in 4.3.

I re-installed Traffic Global and low and behold P3D now opens as normal again.  I've been over at the Traffic Global forums and asked whether their program could cause this problem.  I'm advised that Traffic Global just populates airports with aircraft, it doesn't change any textures outside of Traffic Global itself.  So now I have un-installed Coffs Harbour again.  Rebooted and gone back into P3D to check the default scenery is up and running.  It was.  I again downloaded and installed Coffs Harbour, ran the elevation auto-configuration for the hell of it, rebooted and checked the scenery. It's the same as shown in my original screenshots.

12 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

There is a fixer in the P3D main folder

Thanks Marcus.  I'll give this 'fixer' a try.  What's it called and where exactly do I find it. 

Appreciate your help, regards,

Bruce R

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=130011#p182066

Please be aware that your sim will more or less be set to default and any installed sceneries will not be active anymore.

I would advice you to Google this issue a bit more before doing this in case you have a lot of things installed as it will be lots of work getting it all back again in that case.

Hello,

I would advise against resetting everything.

Instead, why not try removing the "traffic global" files for the airport and see if the duplicate disappears.

You do not need to uninstall either product, just look for YSCH among any traffic global files.

I still haven't found a cure for the double textures at Coffs Harbour.  Traffic Global does not cause it.  Here's what one of the devs says;  "TG is not installed in P3Dv4 only two folders in your scenery folders that link TG to P3Dv4 sim, the default location of TG is C. your documents".  Would there be anything in the ORBX Australia scenery that would cause it? That's what seems to be bleeding through.

Bruce R 

Don't know exactly, and hopefully others can comment on it, but my guess is that it is above Orbx YSCH in the scenery load order. Systematically disable each above entry in an attempt to locate the culprit.

Hello,

I wonder what your question was to elicit this answer?

"TG is not installed in P3Dv4 only two folders in your scenery folders that link TG to P3Dv4 sim, the default location of TG is C. your documents".

Indeed it does not matter where a product is installed but what is installed is the question.

You almost unique problem does have all the hallmarks of there being a second version of

the airport and if so, it needs to be disabled.

As petfly suggests, disable all your other addons in your scenery library and see if the airport

problem is cured.

If so, enable them again one by one or in blocks of five until the problem returns and you should

find the cause by a process of elimination.

14 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I wonder what your question was to elicit this answer?

Hello Nick.  To satisfy your curiosity here's the question I asked;   "is it possible TG could cause double textures at Coffs Harbour (YCFS)?  I want to eliminate that possibility".  

Thanks to both Nick and Petfy for endeavouring to help.  I've been busy this morning turning off this that and the next thing to try to find the culprit.  I've had no luck.  I've included three screen shots and perhaps you can give me your opinions of them.    

The first shot is a top view of Coffs installed.  My aircraft is smack in the middle which is the default Maule.  You'll notice a yellow A1 cub at the bottom of the shot which taxied out on the darker runway which I'm presuming is the real ORBX taxiway.  

Second shot is also with Coffs installed and of the double textures/taxiway.  The yellow cub can be seen taxiing away.   

The third shot is with Coffs turned off and showing the default apron and taxi way. 

I'm not convinced this is some other 3rd party version of YCFS superimposed.  P3D was a fresh install when V4.3 came out and then I installed all my ORBX sceneries.  No other 3rd party version of Coffs was installed.  There was no need to.  ORBX has the best.  It seems to me to be the default airport is sitting over the top of ORBX.  I say that because the taxiway markings which the Maule is sitting on with Coffs installed, and the shot with Coffs turned off, are the same.  I have FTX Australia and all the ORBX Australian airports, as well as ORBX NZNI-SI and all ORBX NZ airports.  Coffs is the only airport presenting these problems.  So the question now is how do I get rid of the default textures at Coffs?

Regards

Bruce R

2018-10-31_9-21-57-883.thumb.jpg.27e961b082880f570a41df59b4e0425a.jpg

2018-10-31_9-22-43-41.thumb.jpg.849e74d04ce87373c91cd73d15d7ee8f.jpg

2018-10-31_10-25-25-623.thumb.jpg.4800a80ab997bff5d687aabbcd03341b.jpg

I unticked everthing I could including TG, Base Pack and Vector.  What couldn't be unticked was some New Zealand Godzone sceneries, FS Dreamteam Exclude, and Fly Tampa Libraries.  These had grey ticks so I couldn't budge them.  Bad news is that I still have double textures.  Apart from those Godzone sceneries, YCFS is the only other scenery currently turned 'ON'.  Here's the latest screen shot.

Regards

Bruce R

2018-10-31_20-55-44-770.thumb.jpg.7789fc703cd97470e4dd864841238e5c.jpg 

17 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

you can "untick" all the others

Hello Nick.  I have been busy unticking and un-installing where I have to.  I did have everything ORBX, with the exception of YSCH, unticked but the Coffs double textures persisted.  I now have all ORBX active again.  Everything else including Traffic Global and GSX has either been unticked or un-installed.  So to confirm, the only scenery I currently have active in P3D V4.3 is ORBX.  I still have those double textures.  I've even alternated between loading YCFS and YSCH but that makes no difference.  I'm really out of ideas now.  What I will do is get you to check my order of FTX.

I have several other 3rd party addon sceneries (all currently turned off or un-installed).  They all sit above ORBXLIBS, so this is my ORBX order;

ORBXLIBS

AYPY .... then 35 ORBX airports including YSCH finishing at  .... YWVA 

YSCB Landscape

Goldcoast

England scenery - 4 files

PNG Holgermesh

NZNI - 4 files

NZSI - 4 files

Australia - 13 files

OpenLC Base

OpenLC Europe

OpenLC America

.... then away further down between Africa and 1107 Base are ORBXVector - 5 files

Where do we go to from here?  I would appreciate any help you are able to give.

Regards

Bruce R

Hello,

I have disabled all of the few add on entries in the scenery.cfg file that you attached and

added it to my copy of P3D v4 which has nothing at all in it except Orbx products.

Here is what I see.

Assuming that you do the same, you should see this too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

To go off on a different tack, the gravelly asphalt texture of the apron could be a rex texture. If you have rex, or some similar texture program, could you untick the apron texture box (if there is one) and see if the apron reverts to the default grey (indicating that it is the default airport you are seeing) or remains the same (indicating that there is still an unaccounted AFCAD in operation). 

Hello, I just bought this scenery yesterday and I have the same problem of double textures.

I don't have any traffic addon installed. It looks like the default scenery from P3D is interfering with ORBX scenery.

I also noticed that when I go to "GO TO AIRPORT" menu, I have two entries for Coff Harbour, YCFS which is the default P3D scenery with the new ICAO code, and YSCH which is ORBX scenery with the former ICAO code.

How can I disable the default Coff Harbour P3D scenery and change ORBX ICAO code to YCFS instead of YSCH?

Stephane

4 hours ago, stefltt said:

I have the same problem of double textures

Thanks Steflit for coming on board.  In some silly way it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

12 hours ago, petfy said:

could be a rex texture

Petfy, no I don't have REX.  However, I do have ActiveSky.  I'm not aware of anything in that program that would change textures, although I stand to be corrected.  I only use ActiveSky to throw in real weather occasionally. 

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

whatever you did to P3D to add it is also drawing the addition

Nick, when I did a new install of P3D just after version 4.3 came out I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.  I just installed all my ORBX sceneries and a few other 3rd parties.  It was recently when I went to load Coffs I found the double textures.  I'm convinced that the apron and taxiways are the default textures.  I'm also leaning towards the problem being the confusion somehow between YCFS and YSCH.  Like Steflit my "Go To Airport" menu also has both these entries.  Do I take it from your comment immediately above this is normal?  I've attached my scenery.cfg as it is at this moment, and also a view of the apron and taxiway.  Those damn double textures are still there.

Regards

Bruce R

scenery.cfg

2018-11-2_8-21-33-522.thumb.jpg.ee8251e1cc7d4171c5329f6789114e7f.jpg

Hello,

YCFS is not a P3D default airport and here is some evidence to support this assertion.

10.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Nor are there any files for YCFS in the ORBX folder.

11.jpg

Logically, to see YCFS, you must have added something else to P3D v4, a navigation data update perhaps?

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

you must have added something else to P3D v4, a navigation data update perhaps? 

Nick, you're a genius.  You hit the nail on the head.   I had the Oceania update installed from   http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html     Thank goodness their installer made a backup.  I un-installed their updates and low and behold Coffs is back to what it should be.  Aero.sors is using the correct ICAO code of YCFS and this is showing up as two entries in the list of "Go To Airport", one for YSCH and YCFS.  After un-installing the aero.sors update I only have YSCH in my "Go To Airport" list.

6 hours ago, stefltt said:

I have the same problem of double textures.

Stefitt, I would hasit a guess and say you also have the aero.sors updated navaids installed.  To fix Coffs you need to run their installer again and it will give you the option of un-installing their package. 

So it came down to ORBX having to call Coffs by it's old pre November 2007 ICAO code of YSCH.  That's a pity, but them the breaks.  Now I'm back to re-installing my other 3rd party sceneries, GSX and Traffic Global.

Thanks again Nick, regards

Bruce R

PS: Here's something that makes me happy

2018-11-2_10-29-15-180.thumb.jpg.b5527b31cb3ce4650eec38c9f571fd7c.jpg

Hello Nick, Bruce,

you are brillant! That was the trick and thanks for finding this.

I thought I was crazy, I was trying to find a potential installed third-party scenery I could not find in any sub-directory of P3D one-by-one.

Everything looks good now.

Great scenery by the way.

Stephane

On 11/3/2018 at 12:24 AM, stefltt said:

Everything looks good now

Hello Stefltt and anyone else who has the aero.sors nav update, as well as ORBX Coffs Harbour.  I've been speaking with the aero.sors developer, Herve Sors over at his forum.  He advises there is a fix.  This is what he says;

" ... after installing my updates, locate the APX88420.BGL file that is in the ..Scenery\1104\scenery subfolder. You should also see a backup file with a bgl.p3dini extension (original file). Replace the APX88420.bgl with the original one (only).  Do this by deleting the APX88420.BGL file (should normally be dated 12-Oct-2017).  Rename the APX88420.bgl.p3dini (date unknown for P3D, 12-Aug-2006 for FSX) as APX88420.BGL (just deleting the .p3dini).  Affected airports are: YARM-YBCG-YBNA-YCAS-YCFS-YEVD-YGDI-YGFN-YGLI-YIVL-YLIS-YSPE-YWCK.  After each update, check for a possible new replacement (probably not so often). If so, restore again the original file as indicated above."

I guess the 13 affected airports will all revert back to FSX/P3D default navdata while the remainder of Australia will be updated.  Probably a good compromise.

Cheers

Bruce R

• 2 months later...

For those who use P3DV4.4, I ran into the same problem with FS Aerodata update.

To revert to the original file you need to search for APX88420.bgl, but it is now in P3Dv4\Scenery\1105\scenery.

Add .off to the name so that it ready APX88420.bgl.off

Then on the backup files that were created, delete .FSAD from APX88420.bgl.FSAD to make it the active file APX88420.bgl

It then should look like on the screen of the directory.

screen_01.jpg

• 6 months later...

Great to all concerned for coming up with the fix for this problem. For my own education, is someone able to explain why the underlying YCFS is showing up. I would have thought the excludes in Orbx's YSCH would have covered it all up, given that Herve's updated file is in a much lower priority location.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived