Installing TrueEarth Great Britain

I recently purchased the OrbX scenery for Manchester Barton, which FTX Central installed in the Custom Scenery folder of X-Plane 11 and that all works fine.

I am now interested in purchasing and installing TrueEarth but I need to know how to install it on a drive other than the drive where X-Plane is installed. I haven't installed such large scenery files before.

I only have 30GB spare on my C: 250GB drive where X-Plane is installed, so I don't want FTX Central trying to install TrueEarth on my C: drive. I have an empty 4TB E: HDD where I always planned to install scenery files.

Will FTX Central allow me to specify that I want the TrueEarth files installed on the E: drive, and apply the correct links in my scenery_packs.ini file on the C: drive?

I couldn't find such basic installation advice on the OrbX site, hence my question. It's also not specifically covered in the X-Plane 11 Desktop Manual Chapter 4.

Thanks for any help.

17 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Firstly have a look at these forum postings

Thank you. I don't think I have seen adequate advice on that thread.

I read that whole thread before I posted my individual request because all of the posted scenery_packs.ini images showed Orbx software being loaded in the default Customary Scenery folder, which is not what I want to achieve.

I believe that Orbx should be providing X-Plane installation guidance before one purchases such a large piece of software.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

have you considered moving the whole X Plane installation to the drive that has the space to accommodate it?

Thanks Nick

I've got the X-Plane folder on a 250GB SSD C: drive which gives me the access speeds that I need for smooth flying.

My understanding is that one doesn't need to access the scenery files with such SSD performance and that's why the advice is to put files for addons such as Ortho4XP on a much larger but slower drive, which in my case is a 4TB HDD. Then one creates links to the scenery_packs file, as I understand it.

I hope that Orbx can be structured in a similar manner, because if it can't then it suggests a severe limitation in its usability if it has to be co-located with the X-Plane folder.

10 minutes ago, Ailoae Viorel said:

I have the problem with installation X-Plane give my error after I install

Suggest you start your own post because your question doesn't appear relevant to my initial question.

Perhaps you should also be asking this question in a Support Forum: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/5-orbx-support-forums/

39 minutes ago, John Venema said:

I run my X-Plane from an external 1.92TB SSD drive connected via USB-C and there is no issue with access speeds, stutters or performance.

That may be the case with your setup, but I want to install TrueEarth on an internal HDD separate from the internal SSD that contains the X-Plane folder.

Your comment, as CEO, infers that I can't do that, rather than pointing me to a solution that would help me set it up across 2 disk drives.

9 minutes ago, Norman Savigar said:

That may be the case with your setup, but I want to install TrueEarth on an HDD separate from the SSD that contains the X-Plane folder.

Your comment, as CEO, infers that I can't do that, rather than pointing me to a solution that would help me set it up across 2 disk drives.

Make a copy of your whole X-plane folder and paste it to your 4 TB HDD.

FTX-Central will now recognize a second X-plane installation to install TrueEarth Great Britain on.

Start X-plane from that 4 TB HDD. After 2-3 starts you will not see any difference in loading time.

2 minutes ago, sangsom said:

Make a copy of your whole X-plane folder and paste it to your 4 TB HDD.

FTX-Central will now recognize a second X-plane installation to install TrueEarth Great Britain on.

Start X-plane from that 4 TB HDD. After 2-3 starts you will not see any difference in loading time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It wouldn't be my preferred solution but I'll bear it in mind if Orbx confirm that I can't install their scenery software on a second drive.

44 minutes ago, Norman Savigar said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

It wouldn't be my preferred solution but I'll bear it in mind if Orbx confirm that I can't install their scenery software on a second drive.

???TrueEarth Great Britain would be on a second drive. Your 4 TB drive.

If you really wont you could apply links from there to the X-plane Custom scenery folder at your C drive installation.

But you will get a poor X-plane performance. I would not recommend it.

7 minutes ago, sangsom said:

???TrueEarth Great Britain would be on a second drive. Your 4 TB drive.

If you really wont you could apply links from there to the X-plane Custom scenery folder at your C drive installation.

But you will get a poor X-plane performance. I would not recommend it.

OK. I thought X-Plane had to be on the C: (root?) drive to get best X-Plane performance. I don't have the luxury of a very large internal SSD.

I've taken your advice and just created a second copy of X-Plane on my 4TB HDD and it seems to be performing well. I'll try one flight and if it's OK then purchase/load Orbx TrueEarth and add that on the HDD.

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

I have just installed True Earth Great Britain and pointed the installer on a second drive where all my photoscenerys are located (a fast 8 TB Streaming Disk). As with Norman, I dont want to clutter up my X-Plane SSD with large junks of scenery. Its really not necessary. However, the install went straight into the Custom Scenery folder. Exactly not was I intended to do. Now, can I move the Folders to my prevered location, replacing them with shurtcuts? Does FTX Central still see them as a valid install?

Thank you for coming to X-Plane. Really missed youre products. Hope there is alot more to come

Best regards, Marcel

10 minutes ago, cellinsky said:

I have just installed True Earth Great Britain and pointed the installer on a second drive where all my photoscenerys are located (a fast 8 TB Streaming Disk). As with Norman, I dont want to clutter up my X-Plane SSD with large junks of scenery. Its really not necessary. However, the install went straight into the Custom Scenery folder. Exactly not was I intended to do. Now, can I move the Folders to my prevered location, replacing them with shurtcuts? Does FTX Central still see them as a valid install?

Thank you for coming to X-Plane. Really missed youre products. Hope there is alot more to come

Best regards, Marcel

I have my X-plane 11 install on one SSD and my Custom Scenery folder located on another SSD, using a Symbolic Link, it worked perfectly for the install of TEGB.

Just now, kaisho said:

I have my X-plane 11 install on one SSD and my Custom Scenery folder located on another SSD, using a Symbolic Link, it worked perfectly for the install of TEGB.

I have a second SSD that I could use but the opinions here at the moment seem to be that TrueEarth scenery files have to be in the X-Plane Custom Scenery folder to work. That's why I'm trying a second version of my X-Plane on the 4TB HDD

2 minutes ago, Norman Savigar said:

I have a second SSD that I could use but the opinions here at the moment seem to be that TrueEarth scenery files have to be in the X-Plane Custom Scenery folder to work. That's why I'm trying a second version of my X-Plane on the 4TB HDD

They do, but the the Custom Scenery folder doesn't have to be located in the X-Plane folder, as per my previous post

2 minutes ago, kaisho said:

They do, but the the Custom Scenery folder doesn't have to be located in the X-Plane folder, as per my previous post

I didn't realise that one can put the whole X-Plane Custom Scenery folder on another drive.

Whilst this is my first attempt to install large amounts of custom scenery, I was under the impression that one kept the original Custom Scenery folder in the X-Plane structure and then had links to the individual customer scenery files that may be on another drive.

3 minutes ago, Norman Savigar said:

I didn't realise that one can put the whole X-Plane Custom Scenery folder on another drive.

Whilst this is my first attempt to install large amounts of custom scenery, I was under the impression that one kept the original Custom Scenery folder in the X-Plane structure and then had links to the individual customer scenery files that may be on another drive.

It can be done either way, my current folder structure is..

D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\Custom Scenery\

with a symbolic link to that folder created in..

H:\X-Plane 11\

It works perfectly.

1 minute ago, kaisho said:

It can be done either way, my current folder structure is..

D:\X-Plane Custom Scenery\Custom Scenery\

with a symbolic link to that folder created in..

H:\X-Plane 11\

It works perfectly.

Excuse my ignorance (!) but what does a "symbolic link" look like?

Symbolic Links is what I use for some of Scenerys as well as normal Windows shortcuts. Im sure it will workwith TRGB. My concern is thatFTX Central will refuse to work with this kind of Links. I really would want to keep the benefits of FTX: Updates, custom-setting etc. Will they still work? If so, it would be the perfect solution for me.

Again: It is fine if you have a big SSD to install X-plane on, but it is same as good to install on a HDD.

Loading time is only 2-3 seconds faster on SSD and the performance is the same. Not like FSX or P3D.

I think X-plane would run extremely well even on Floppy-Discs.(Don`t beat me to it)

I can confirm: FTX runs fine with symbolic links. Moved ORBX-folders out of Custom Scenerys to my HDD and replaced it with symbolic links. Scenery loads and plays as intended and FTX keeps track. Perfect.

Thanks for the tipps and best regards

Marcel

Yes This is my issue too, the install doesnt allow you to install the scenery anywhere other the the xplane 11 custon scenery folder. 

I cant do that as the SSD its on on has about 100gb left.

so I was forced to create a xplane folder and custom folder on the drive I intend to install to, this is to trick FTX into thinking its a second installation of xplane.

This works and then you can create links as you would do any other scenery on a different drive.

Only issue I have now is that FTX central shows its not installed when it is with links.

Hello,

in the absence of adequate drive space, a better solution would have been to

first create the Custom Scenery folder on the adequate drive and then make a

symbolic link back to the X Plane 11 folder.

FTX Central sees symbolic links but does not see shortcuts, as apparently X Plane 11 does.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

in the absence of adequate drive space, a better solution would have been to

first create the Custom Scenery folder on the adequate drive and then make a

symbolic link back to the X Plane 11 folder.

FTX Central sees symbolic links but does not see shortcuts, as apparently X Plane 11 does.

With the greatest respect I have to ask why all these problems weren't picked up during the long beta test phase?

It's especially difficult for new users of X-Plane, and even some of us old hands, to get this right without considerable angst and tweaking.

47 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

With the greatest respect I have to ask why all these problems weren't picked up during the long beta test phase?

It's especially difficult for new users of X-Plane, and even some of us old hands, to get this right without considerable angst and tweaking.

We test for standard recommended installations, which is what the product is primarily designed for.  We can't test for other configurations, because a. it would take attention away from the myriad little and big things we already find and report, and b.  we can't possible duplicate everyone's peculiarities of setup.

I have the entire ORBX catalogue running perfectly across all four sims.   I have had to buy three SSDs to accommodate the four sims but in terms of ease of use, reliability and hassle free simming, they more than pay for themselves.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, John Dow said:

We test for standard recommended installations, which is what the product is primarily designed for.  We can't test for other configurations, because a. it would take attention away from the myriad little and big things we already find and report, and b.  we can't possible duplicate everyone's peculiarities of setup.

I have the entire ORBX catalogue running perfectly across all four sims.   I have had to buy three SSDs to accommodate the four sims but in terms of ease of use, reliability and hassle free simming, they more than pay for themselves.

Cheers

Thank you for the explanation John, much appreciated.

Thank goodness we have so many good people on the ORBX forum to help out!

Archived