USA

John York

Using Photographic scenery enhanced by Landscapes, I've just taken a 250 nm flight from New orleans to Galveston and a few things struck me.   Just how much land in America is still unsettled and although I know aerial photography tends to flatten images, how flat everything is.  I know it undulates but there a vast areas where that's the case.

And I've also got a challenge ahead.  I'm pretty sure that Galveston is an un-towered airport.  If that's the case getting my PF3 ATC to work when I leave is going to be a problem!

Ah well, thats an adventure for another day.

John

Sorry, I should have explained that having explored the USA from north to south and across from east to the west, I'm now travelling around the Country in shortish hops limiting them to roughly 300nm each.

I started from the north west so still still have a fair way to go.

Never having had the opportunity to visit America, this is about the only reasonable way I have of seeing it.

My interest is also enhanced by the reading (fiction) I do because many of the stories are set in America.  And, of course, so many films are stories are in America too.I

John

JohnY, the truth is that North America is all those things--the western Cascades and the Rockies, the flat middle states and provinces. the variety of hills and valleys east of the Mississippi. the northern reaches of tundra and ice. I've had the chance to travel enough to say that I have yet to see an area of the world that does not have a geological equivalent in North America. Except for Somerset, of course. My home state of Washington manages to include all of those things, so you can see the world in a day's car trip.

And another thing;  I came to America to fly to escape our never ending winter, sometimes called summer.   I expected decent weather.  What have I had on virtually every flight along the South?  Low clouds, rain and today flying from Galveston to Brownsville, I've had thunder, lightening, heavy rain, and clouds you need to plough through!:banghead:

If this lasts much longer, I'm coming home!;)

John

PS - Sorry about the 'Spoiler' Don't know how it came up and then couldn't ger rid of it!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Sorry Oldendirt, I'm travelling West now.  What's 'bullseye'?

'Then there's the humidity and bugs'.  I'm glad I'm  flying in an airconditioned 'plane then Rodger but thanks for the info' anyway.  Did I need it though I ask myself?

John

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

Sorry Oldendirt, I'm travelling West now.  What's 'bullseye'?

'Then there's the humidity and bugs'.  I'm glad I'm  flying in an airconditioned 'plane then Rodger but thanks for the info' anyway.  Did I need it though I ask myself?

John

A bunch of closely spaced concentric circles on a weather map - hurricane. 

I'm 40 miles north of El Paso (Las Cruces, NM).  It rained last night!  This is our rainy season and we are just about at our annual average, about 6 inches.  That's about the same amount as a rainy couple of hours in Florida.

Well, that does surprise me Doc Z.  I had to do a ''go around' to land there.  First time of trying I needed to go over some hills and it didn't work.  The second time was fine.

John

Archived