Moving Orbx Files from HDD to SSD

SubOne

Apologies if this should be in another section of the Forum.

I'm about to change from FSX to P3D V4 and also move from a HHD to a 1TB M.2 SSD card to run all flightsim items from.  Is it possible to just copy across my Orbx addons to the SSD once P3D is installed, or do I need to do a complete re-install onto the SSD.

Thanks in advance.

If you're moving from FSX to P3D V4 then I believe the reinstall through FTXCentral is the ideal way to go.

But I also think that if you leave your FSX in place, your installation for the P3D versions will be much easier as it will copy over the common files form FSX.

One of the other team members might know more.

Just as an aside... I have often re-discovered the joys of certain forgotten airports when re-installing.  If I just do a couple at a time, I make sure I do some flights in and around them before moving on to the next one.  Some airports I haven't flown into or out of for years, and it's refreshing to re-visit them.

John's right. Do a fresh install of P3D and don't delete FSX until the P3D installation is complete. FTXC will use 80-90% of the ORBX data in the FSX folder and you won't have to re-download "all that stuff". Makes for a much faster, and easier,  job....Doug

Cheers Doug and John,

Does that mean I have to keep the Orbx files on the HDD even after P3D is on the SSD and FSX has been removed from it (HDD).  I was hoping to clean out the HDD completely.

IF the Orbx files (add-ons) are removed from the HDD, is it just a matter of re-installing via FTX Central to the new location (ie, SSD) once P3D is loaded?

Thanks,

Once your P3D sim is installed and all your Orbx sceneries appear in FTXC3 for P3D, and the sim runs as expected, you can then format your FSX HDD.

However, I have found it convenient to keep my FSX installation as a few of my aircraft only run in FSX, and in some areas I like the look of FSX better.  Also if you did want to go back to FSX to check something, it'll be there.  Some FSX users have reported that their activation codes have reached a limit and won't work an more. New HDDs and SSDs are so cheap nowadays that if you have enough SATA ports on your motherboard you might as well keep the FSX HDD as a backup.  Any spare room on it could be reserved for the temp location for Orbx sceneries if your C:\ drive is proving inadequate.

Finally, I have found it quicker and easier to keep my FSX Add-on scenery folder active, and point P3DV4 to it for all the miscellaneous sceneries such as OZx and other freeware scenery, it works just as well as having it inside the P3D folder and doesn't use up SSD space.

23 hours ago, John Dow said:

I have found it quicker and easier to keep my FSX Add-on scenery folder active, and point P3DV4 to it

I have just bought Netherlands true earth, just to realize I haven't got enough free space on my flightsim SSD to install it. Is what you're saying that I can install it on another HD and then point P3D to where it is? I just got a message saying that I didn't have enough space for it, but didn't see any choice for installing it elsewhere.

Hmmm, does that mean it has to be in the P3D folder as well. I have my flightsim on my J: drive and off course that's also where my ORBX folder is located. Or can I move my whole ORBX folder to ie my E: drive, and if so where and how do I make a link to P3D so I'm sure I'm not messing up my current installation ? And do I have to correct the paths to everything orbx in the scenery library inside P3D?  Sorry for maybe some dumb questions, but I wanna be sure that I don't have to reinstall P3D AND all scenry, vector, landclass etc. again.

UPS, have just read the article you linked to, and it made it much clearer, so please disregard the above questions (for now anyway) :-)

Archived