Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog flight stick

Tobycoco

Hi everyone,

I am just planning on starting up again my hobby of fight sim on Prepar3d.

I love the look of the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog flight stick and throttle control (i dont really want to have a YOKE).

I will start my flying on a Cessna until i feel comfortable and move on to bigger aircraft.

I was wondering is the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog flight stick and controller good for GA aircraft such as the Cessna?

Please could i have you thoughts?

Many thanks and hope i you can give me some advice?

Hi Toby. My son has just bought one of those and he loves it and wouldn’t mind one myself but we have to be careful as we don’t whant to turn this into this stick is better than that stick. Plus you do realise the Warthog does not have a twist grip so you will need some sort of rudder pedals. I think it will be fine. Derek.

Well you could roll into your turns but that’s not ideal especially when getting near to the runways. If you don’t want to buy any rudder pedals than maybe the Warthog is not ideal. You can buy other Thrustmaster joysticks that have the twist grip like the T16000 FCS. Plus that has the same sensors as the Warthog. Or maybe even the old Saitek Pro. It depends on what you want. Derek.

Just remembered that Thrustmaster are doing some new rudder pedals but they will be expensive, not out yet but must be due as on their site. Plus they do a cheaper set that might do you for now. Depends on what you have to spend. Derek.

Would you try to drive a car without a gas or brake pedal?

There are twist grip joy sticks that you can use for the rudder control,but where's the realism in that ?

Of course cost is a consideration, but if your happy to send up to $400-$500 on the Thrustmaster Warthog the extra $$$ for a quality set of rudder pedals should be part of your set up.

I've been using the Warthog for many years & the quality of the product is outstanding.The plastic type joysticks just don't have the same solid realistic feel.

I'm also using the Saitek solid aluminium combat pedals,unfortunately they are no longer available,but the new Thrustmaster pedals due out soon look like a great replacement.

Cheers...Kim

It sounds like you have already made up your mind, but I would also agree that the HOTAS Warthog is a great investment.  It is expensive, but the quality and the features are amazing.  You have to try the DCS World A-10C with it.  As for rudder pedals, yes, they are another expensive addition, but will add a lot more to your flying experience also.  I personally have the Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals, which are unfortunately discontinued, but the Logitech Pro Flight rudder pedals are pretty much the same design and I have seen them around for around $200.  I suggest just doing some more research on the rudder pedals to make sure you get what you want at a good price.  Same goes for the HOTAS Warthog.  Shop around because the price can vary a lot.

Cheers,

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if there is a program that saves joystick configurations, optimally for P3D and XP11.  I have both a Yoke/Rudder Pedal combination and a joystick.   Having a yoke & joystick connected do not play nice if connected at the same time.   When I disconnect the Joystick to use my yoke, I have to reset all of my buttons and possibly re calibrate which is a pain.   What I would like to do is to load a saved config file for my attached configuration.  Am I dreaming or does something like this exists.

Thanks,

Mike

I have the HOTAS Warthog and MFG Crosswind pedals on my sailplane simulation setup.  The combination work very well.  I had VKB T-Rudder pedals on the setup, but they do not have a pedal brake and I sometimes use the simulator to fly powered aircraft.  Both pedals are currently available and use high precision noncontact sensors to give better rudder feel.  I also have the Saitek Pro Combat pedals on another setup with a yoke and they work well also.  For GA aircraft, especially taildraggers, pedals are essential for crosswind takeoffs and landings.  And for real fun, land downwind in a strong wind.  You will experience rudder reversal as your speed drops below the wind speed.  Simulation is much more enjoyable with rudder pedals.

X-Plane 11 has a profile function for the controls, where you can chose the functions you assign for different uses.  It is explained in the online manual.  That might help with your problem if you have X-Plane.

@Mike62

I'm not sure about X-Plane (Dusterman's answer above may help), but for P3D FSUIPC should do that.  I know it can save many different profiles for different aircraft, so I think it should also handle different hardware.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

You may want to ask on the forums to make sure it does what you want.

https://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fsuipc-support-pete-dowson-modules/

or actually, I also just noticed another thread:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/157558-fsuipc/?tab=comments#comment-1389064

There is a free unregistered version of FSUIPC, but I think for the controller profiles you need the registered version.  There is a new version (FSUIPC5) for P3DV4, and it can be purchased at Simmarket.  There is also an earlier version (FSUIPC4) for FSX and P3DV1-3.

Cheers,

Hi,

I am wondering why you don't want to try a yoke instead of a flight stick ? Before I purchase my yoke, it was the same for me, I didn't want a yoke, I was flying with my Saitek X52 Pro and it is a great stick and still is, but now I just can't go back to it. I now use the CH Eclipse yoke with pedals and the immersion is far superior than flying with a stick for the kind of planes I am flying right now (Cessna, 737, 747 …)  

Mike

Thanks very much for all the replies, have ordered a new computer with flight simming in mind.

So think i will go for Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog flight stick, throttle control and pedals.

Thanks very much again everyone

I agree with MikeLab.  A simple joystick is fine for simpler airplanes that use one, Cub for instance. And for those, you don't need the complexity of the Warthog, which is designed for use in modern war-fighting aircraft.   A yoke is the standard for most GA and airliners (I know the Airbi use a sidestick, but that is close to a yoke than a Warthog). 

Archived