LSPN elevation issue

andy1252

HI, I've just installed LSPN (and it's a lovely little airport, thank you) and am getting elevation issues. Or not? I've run the Vector tool but still getting the airstrip sunken into the surroundings a bit. Doesn't look like this on Google Earth. I am running with Pilot's Global Ultimate NG and I seem to remember something about this causing issues in the European mountain areas so maybe that's behind this?

MPAPiYd.jpg

WZpeIlc.jpg

I do get all sorts of weird "popping" and reloading of scenery around the Alps generally. Maybe I need to downgrade the mesh?

Hello,

there is another topic with the same problem, I think that you are right about 

Pilot's Global Ultimate NG. It is for this kind of reason that Orbx do not "approve" it.

FS Global 2010 remains the only approved mesh for use with Orbx products and it

is to this standard that all airport products are developed.

Thanks Nick. I'll play with their flattening tool and see what happens. Or maybe I'll just disable FSGU NG  and see how that feels

OK, disable FSGU NG and all ok, so that's solved. I'll think about how to proceed on my system but please consider this resolved, thanks.

Hello!

This discussion has been brought to my attention by a customer of FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation. It is very interesting to read. Unfortunately it shows, that the dimension of this product has not been understood by many, if not all, though it has been said and written many times.

I will make a short crash course below. Of course I am willing to discuss every aspect personally, if not clear. We are also willing to give away developer copies of FS Global Ultimate on certain conditions. Contact me, if you wish to obtain one. We already have provided a considerable number of developer copies of FS Global Ultimate – NG to the ORBX staff, but maybe they are used already. In that case I wonder however, that I had to read what I read in this thread.

To the remark, “only FS Global 2010” is approved, I must say, that it does not make a difference for this airport here, if you install FS Global 2010, 2018, any Ultimate or in fact ANY other third party mesh. Basically the outcome will be identical at this airport here. This should tell us something. Namely, the mesh generally always is right! Exceptions may be when data errors or not enough resolution may occur. But generally, the shape of the world is correct.

Why have we a problem then? Because of the ever present “flat airport” concept/problem of MS based flight simulators. I have written about that millions of times, every FS Global mesh manual has a chapter about it and every one should know and understand it by now. If not, please check your manuals, google or search these forums. In short: any airport in a MS based sim has to be designed flat. And that may not fit with the correct mesh.

And really, Triengen is situated at the edge of a slope. One of the hangars even has two ground levels to cover for this fact in reality! See the pictures below and you will understand. (All pictures copyright Marcel Siegenthaler and used for explanatory purposes only.)

lspn4.thumb.jpg.d63af6bfa624b993d4169dc55dd5a610.jpg

Now, when I have to design a flat airport, the farther I get into the slope, the more a mess will I have at the edge with the correct mesh. But there is a solution: I have to create my own small micro mesh, which delivers a flat area for my airport and then slowly adapts to the surrounding correct other (default, etc) mesh. That may not be correct in reality, but it does please the eye, whereas when I do not create that micro mesh, at the edge of my flat airport polygon, we will have some ugly happenings like those being the reason for this thread. There is another reason why every airport designer should always do that: one has to build on own grounds! What, if the sim developer (Lockheed) changes the mesh? What, if they release a HR mesh like the third parties do today? In the blink of an eye, all airports designed without own micro mesh will be obsolete or will need a rework, namely such a micro mesh! Having one in high LOD will always be on top of ANY default mesh and the airport will work on ANY other base mesh. Omitting it, will reduce usability of the airport to exactly one type of mesh, the one it was built on.

Some developers do that (check out our own LEAM, Almeria Airport scenery, Gold Award and “Highly recommended” by Mutley’s Hangar), some don’t. Unfortunately for some developers, it is policy not to support others, which in fact at the end harms their own customers.

But we at PILOT’S know, that some don’t do it and have already come up with a solution before the problem arose: AFM2.

AFM2 comes free with any FS Global Ultimate – Next Generation license. It is a free download at our website after registration of your copy. And AFM2 will solve this very problem here.

Install the AFM for LSPN and you can use this airport without any elevation issue AND FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation together. (Picture below)

lspn.thumb.png.9225dc7ca4b1a7f0ea7a73a378f811be.png

So, in fact FS Global Ultimate – Next Generation is much more advanced and visionary than FS Global 2010. All these problems have been foreseen and already fixed before even happening. One just has to understand it.

The solution is NOT to disable FS Global Ultimate – Next Generation, but to install the AFM for LSPN using AFM2.

If you have any questions, please email me and I renew my offer for a free copy of our mesh for every developer willing to adapt to it.

Thanks for reading.

lspn3.jpg

LSPN2.jpg

LSPN_1.jpg

Hello!

Log into your account at our website at https:/www.pilots.shop and register your FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation serialnumber at MY PRODUCTS. (You have done that already.)
Then click MY DOWNLOADS, select "FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation" at the drop down and click "show downloads".

Voila!

2 hours ago, StefanSchaefer said:

The solution is NOT to disable FS Global Ultimate – Next Generation, but to install the AFM for LSPN using AFM2

Thank you for your contribution, Stefan to clarify things what users should do having FS Global Ultimate NG.

3 hours ago, StefanSchaefer said:

The solution is NOT to disable FS Global Ultimate – Next Generation, but to install the AFM for LSPN using AFM2

Thanks for joining in with this, Stefan. I have downloaded AFM2 and will try this later. I was not meaning to imply any criticism of FSGU-NG in my original post, it just all gets a little confusing with the many various options that have built up in this environment over the years (at least, it gets confusing for me!)

9 hours ago, StefanSchaefer said:

Install the AFM for LSPN and you can use this airport without any elevation issue AND FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation together.

Downloaded, ran it and very happy about the result. AFM2 now resides in my tools menu ready for further use as needs be.

uLY7dVe.jpg

Thank you, Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

I have FS Global Ultimate Europe & Africa, the predecessor to FS Ultimate Next Generation, running P3Dv4.  Is there another remedy for this elevation problem at LSPN short of purchasing Next Generation and downloading AFM2?  Up to now, Ultimate has served its purpose well, but I cannot install AFM from the accompanying disc because it looks for the FSX installation and not P3D.  Is there a way I can dl AFM2 and use it to correct LSPN's elevation problem?

Stew

As far as I was able to tell from their webpage, Ultimate--Next Generation is to be used with P3dv4 and its AFM2 is available for download to the user.  AFM2 is the key.  Perhaps it can been made available somehow to us users of the earlier product.

Archived