Flashing or flickering on runways and main aprons in FSX Acceleration

reddaisy

Hi Guys,

Gold Coast Airport Order Receipt 5b237f5a3db1f

Has anybody got any idea what might be causing this problem in FSX Acceleration ? It occurs in an external view and after having taken off and when looking from the front of the aircraft back towards the airport runway. The flashing or flickering does not happen until the aircraft is roughly at 500 feet or above. 

This problem with flashing or flickering on runways and aprons does not specifically relate to one software provider, so I have listed below those software providers and airports that I'm encountering problems with.

UK2000 Exeter Xtreme EGTE (all other UK2000 Xtreme airports are working okay).

Aerosoft Madeira X Evolution LPMA (most other Aerosoft airports working okay).

Aerosoft Porto Santo Evolution LPPS (included in Madeira X Evolution package).

MK Studios Tenerife South GCTS (other MK Studios airports working okay).

I have been through my computer for any conflicting .bgl files relating to the above airports and any found, I have renamed them to .OFF. I have checked out the  required specifications for each airport and my computer meets all of these.

The only way to describe or show this problem would be to create a movie file, but the maximum upload size of 7.95mb  on this website puts that out of the question.

Kindest regards

Colin

Hello

If this is issue is occurring only with certain cameras, the first thing that comes to mind is the clip mode of the camera you are using. (The clip mode has to do with how distances are resolved in relation to the distance from the camera, and this in turn is related to z-fighting which I suspect you are seeing.) If you google clip mode or z-fighting you should find lots more on the subject.  Of course what you are seeing might be something quite different.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

I'm using ChasePlane for my camera views. I have numerous payware airport addons and the ones I have previously listed are the only ones that I am encountering problems with. As such, I can't quite understand how this could be a camera problem. Surely if it was a camera problem, it would occur at all airports.

Kindest regards

Colin

As you say, you are a Chase Plane user, so you can try this:

In Cameras.cfg (of course, backup it first) change all instances of ClipMode = Minimum to ClipMode = Normal, which is the default setting and the mode that Aerosoft apparently uses for their testing. "

Hi ftxpolo,

Would the Cameras.cfg be a setting within ChasePlane or a setting within a particular aircraft? The aircraft I use for general purpose viewing is the default Cessna C172.

Kindest regards

Colin

23 hours ago, reddaisy said:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

I'm using ChasePlane for my camera views. I have numerous payware airport addons and the ones I have previously listed are the only ones that I am encountering problems with. As such, I can't quite understand how this could be a camera problem. Surely if it was a camera problem, it would occur at all airports.

Kindest regards

Colin

Unfortunately different airports have different separations between their textures, so yes, it can be airport specific.  Developers try to minimise the separations but many factors come into play, and unfortunately sometimes it's not possible to eliminate flickering, especially at high angles looking down on runways.

Hi ftxpolo,

I did as you suggested with some a couple of good results and a couple of nearly good results

UK2000 Exeter Xtreme EGTE (Some flashing or flickering but nowhere as bad as it was previously).

Aerosoft Madeira X Evolution LPMA (Some flashing or flickering but nowhere as bad as it was previously).

Aerosoft Porto Santo Evolution LPPS (I now have no flashing or flickering at all).

MK Studios Tenerife South GCTS (I now have no flashing or flickering at all).

Are you aware of anything else I could try to entirely correct the situations at Exeter and Madeira?

A thank you to Nick also for correctly pointing me in the right direction for finding the Cameras.cfg file.

Many thanks also to Larry-R with regard to his comments on Clip Mode, I will certainly Google this subject.

Kindest regards

Colin

3 hours ago, reddaisy said:

Are you aware of anything else I could try to entirely correct the situations at Exeter and Madeira?

ChasePlane issue, not entirely problem of sceneries or developers.

Minimum is better for inspecting close objects, like aircraft details, but causes z-fighting of textures for distant objects. Currently, no generally solid ClipMode setting exists, it is always a compromise between the right depiction of distant vs. close. "

Archived