What to do with TrueEarth

NeilG

After much waiting on downloads (20 hours in my case), everything nevertheless installed properly and I took my first flight. First reaction: this is mind-blowing! the detail in phenomenal, better than anything else anywhere! My second reaction: Right! I want this for all my orbx countries. Third Reaction: Bugger me!  How many GB's, TB's would that take up? So my question is, is there to be a policy of re-doing all with true Earth? 

It will get done Neil but it will take quite awhile to cover the world, maybe years.Think cost is a major factor in it and getting the right resources. Know England True Earth is next for X plane and I would think for P3D not long after. Perhaps other people will know more. Derek. 

I think it will not happen in the near future. Especially for the US with all the secret gov locations & military bases / facilities.

There is also a problem with mountains I guess. Whole different ball game to place objects and houses properly in mountains with photoreal terrain. You need at least another angle of view because its then a 3D environment.

Next thing would be variation. Compared to other countries like US and even Germany for example, in Netherlands & England is from the geographic perspective far less variation. That's because they released Netherlands & England first because those are nearly flat countries.

With all of that being said, just compare for example North/South California. Complete different landscapes in the North vs South + other climate conditions. In all fairness to Netherlands, from the air it looks all pretty much the same like England too ;) So you can basically use the same textures over and over again what reduces the file size dramatically.

No, you are quite right.

The statement 

So you can basically use the same textures over and over again what reduces the file size dramatically.

appears to suggest a misunderstanding of the concept of photo scenery.

To suggest that England and the Netherlands look similar from the air might suggest a lack of close attention

to either of them.:)

Archived