Manual Downloads - Freeware for Mac

rcmarple

Hello everyone! I tried downloading the three free packs for X-Plane on the freeware pages and the files downloaded don't make sense when extracted. I end up with folders of multiple zipped files as shown in the screenshot below. 

5adc576c3c741_ScreenShot2018-04-22at10_34_21.thumb.JPG.0b7b04e2363f8e945a15fc26d76a71e4.JPG

My two questions are:

1. Do Mac customers need to wait until there is a Mac version of FTX Central before we can use these?

2. Are these particular sceneries (ENHA, ENOV, L52) the same as those published by Tony elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I only see FTX or manual download. I can not find the crossplarform option in my account settings. I'm sorry I'm blind.
For the payware KACK option for crossplatform is visible. No problem. 
But u freeware nothing. 

I'm not interested in using the FTX central. I want to manage my own things in the X-Plane myself. I am the old/new ORBX customer and I have forgotten everything. Now I use only X-Plane and all is for me new about ORBX.

Thanks you for your patience. 

ORBXfree.JPG

hi letec

To use Orbx products you need to use FTX Central even if you do a manual download. The zip files that are downloaded are recognised by FTX Central and is the only way of unpacking and installing the products.

Cheers

6 hours ago, john548 said:

To use Orbx products you need to use FTX Central even if you do a manual download. The zip files that are downloaded are recognised by FTX Central and is the only way of unpacking and installing the products.

No. Not for the Linux and MacOS downloads, as there is no FTX for Linux and MacOS! For these the cross-platform downloads should be available -- which is usually under the "Product Information" link on your user account page (for example for KCGX or the iBlueYonder products; click these in your purchase history and find the cross-platform link). The cross-platform link is NOT available on the product pages in the shop, only in the user account pages.

Problem is that the XP 11 freeware is NOT listed under the user account page, therefore no cross-platform link.

7 hours ago, john548 said:

hi letec

Cheers

Thans but I do not want to use FTX Central. For what? I do not care. And what people with different OS ??

I am writing again - For payware KACK in my acount is a cross-platform option ( no problem download and instal whithout FTX Central), but there is no option for freeware. Why?

6 minutes ago, M. Donick said:

No. Not for the Linux and MacOS downloads, as there is no FTX for Linux and MacOS! For these the cross-platform downloads should be available -- which is usually under the "Product Information" link on your user account page (for example for KCGX or the iBlueYonder products; click these in your purchase history and find the cross-platform link). The cross-platform link is NOT available on the product pages in the shop, only in the user account pages.

Problem is that the XP 11 freeware is NOT listed under the user account page, therefore no cross-platform link.

Thanks M.Donick. Yes. Not exist cross-platform link. Me interesing why.

Hi all,

We're aware of not being able to get the cross-platform downloads for the X-Plane freeware. This will be fixed shortly.

Until this issue is resolved, you can use the following links to download the freeware:

5 hours ago, letec said:

Thans but I do not want to use FTX Central. For what? I do not care

Can I ask why you do not wish to use FTX Central? All it will do in X-Plane is download the files to your Custom Scenery directory and add the relevant entries to your scenery_packs.ini.

As soon as we have a client available for macOS and Linux, we will  most likely be removing the cross-platform downloads from the website (they were just provided as a temporary measure until FTX Central is available for other platforms).

On 23. 4. 2018 at 1:22 PM, Ben McClintock said:

Hi all,

We're aware of not being able to get the cross-platform downloads for the X-Plane freeware. This will be fixed shortly.

Until this issue is resolved, you can use the following links to download the freeware:

Can I ask why you do not wish to use FTX Central? All it will do in X-Plane is download the files to your Custom Scenery directory and add the relevant entries to your scenery_packs.ini.

As soon as we have a client available for macOS and Linux, we will  most likely be removing the cross-platform downloads from the website (they were just provided as a temporary measure until FTX Central is available for other platforms).

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for the links. Because what makes FTX is completely useless for me. For example, this is my scenery_pack.ini (file attachment) and I mean the FTX can not handle this modification so I will have to rename the folders anyway, and I will have to edit in scenery_pack.ini anyway.

I do not know if you'll understand me. But in the case of the X-Plane it's like scratching your left ear with your right hand when it is easier to scratch with left hand.

Still, I am still looking forward to another ORBX airport. Personally, I prefer those big airports for example YSSY,YMML etc airports. If they will are.

Best regards

scenery_packs.ini

• 4 weeks later...
On 25.4.2018 at 8:12 AM, letec said:

For example, this is my scenery_pack.ini (file attachment) and I mean the FTX can not handle this modification so I will have to rename the folders anyway, and I will have to edit in scenery_pack.ini anyway.

Letec, indeed I cannot understand your problem. Installation and maintenance cannot be simpler than by FTXC. Renaming files is your personal "hobby" and not necessarily needed. And, your Scenery_pack.ini is not being altered by FTXC but only by X-Plane itself. And the existing ORBX airports files are recognized and sorted at their correct position. So what could be better? I'm sure you will come to like it, have fun

Fritz

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2018 at 4:37 PM, Pegaso said:

Letec, indeed I cannot understand your problem. Installation and maintenance cannot be simpler than by FTXC. Renaming files is your personal "hobby" and not necessarily needed. And, your Scenery_pack.ini is not being altered by FTXC but only by X-Plane itself. And the existing ORBX airports files are recognized and sorted at their correct position. So what could be better? I'm sure you will come to like it, have fun

Fritz

I can understand Letec's problem very well, as I have a similar way  to organize my scenery_pack.ini. And there are a lot of X-Plane useres doing the same. The main reason to do this, I guess, is the lack of a scenery pack organizing tool for X-Plane under Mac OS such as Xorganizer for Windows. Therefore if someone has a lot of scenery add-ons it absolutely makes sense for better organization and overview to rename the folder names adding additional info such as country, region etc. This becomes even more importat if you have installed regional sceneries such as VFR landmarks, osm-addons etc. that have to sit below the airports in the scenery_pack.ini. Sometimes a very specific order is necessary for proper outcome in the sim when you combine local meshes, exclusions etc. Another example are freeware airport collections (e.g. for Australia) that are combined in one single scenery pack. Some people have better (payware) versions of included airports but want to keep the rest which results in a specific scenery order in the scenery_pack.ini. I can not see how FTXC would be capable to know all these things and place the newly installed scenery in the correct location of the scenery_pack.ini.

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 9:22 PM, Ben McClintock said:

Hi all,

Ben, thanks for this.  Works ok.  Lovely scenery.  Just joined orbx mainly for TE GB.  Am with XP on an iMac.  Waiting for the cross-platform Mac version of TE GB.  John says you are doing it.  I know you have been on a plane from the UK.  Any update?  BTW, I am also in Melbourne, Australia.  Cheers.

Archived