My 32 in monitor is dying

Benny

Hey guys, about 10 years ago I have paid well over 1200$ for my LG 32 in monitor 2560 X 1600. It was a great screen. IT's still working but it's making a strange noise wile starting, and it doesn't always start.

Anyway, for now I'm using an older 50in TV at 1080P but it's not as nice of course.

I know it as been discussed before so please point me out to some thread if so.

My question is, what about a 4K 43 in TV??? Look like a good substitute for the money. This is for my simming rig and I don't play other faster game.

Thanks guys

Ben

ps.: I love that 50 in size :)

jycSU4j.jpg

I use a 75" and a 43" Sony 4K TV as my monitors. They work perfectly and I would highly recommend any size 4K TV over a monitor since you're never going to get a frame rate in the sim that's high enough to match the higher refresh rates of the monitor. In other words, it's wasted money for our purposes here.

75” and 50” very nice, think my lowly HP 24” monitor must be ready for the bin then. Na it does me fine, mean would really love a nice 4K monitor but I’m living in a dream world. By the way nice setup Benny. Derek.

Benny, I am running a 43" Sony 4K TV connected to a GTX 1080 Ti and all is smooth as butter. I love the large screen and nothing has slowed down since I plugged in a few weeks ago.

Hi Benny,

You could try to repair it. Most of the time, this problem is related to bad capacitors (bout $10 for parts). Google it (or on youtube) with your model with "Capacitors repair" or something similar to find out how to do it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, good point.

For now I have remove the 50in 1080P and use a newer 39in 1080P, I'm happy like that for now.

Yes the resolution is not as good as the 32in monitor but it's fine for now.

I have paid 400$ for my Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6G and no way I'm replacing this one, I have others hobbies :)

I am flying mostly with AF2 so all is good as to FPS and smoothness.

Yes, that's it Benny. If the top of the capacitor is not flat, you have to replace it. The cost for each is not too expensive, so nothing to loose but the time to do it. You have to replace all failed capacitors with the same value. Bring them to electronic vendor, they will find out what you need.  I did it for 2 monitors, and they are running great again ...

If you do it, don't forget, capacitors are polarised.  They have a positive (anode) and negative (cathode). You can easily spot the cathode with the white band and minus (-) signs on it.  You have to sold them the same way as they are.  You can also spot the + sing and the - sing printed on the board.

Mike

12 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

You have to sold them the same way as they are.  You can also spot the + sing and the - sing printed on the board.

Thanks Mike, I found it, 3200UF 10V, bough some for 2$ each, soldered them but now it's worse, I plug the screen and it does open for 2 second and shut down after.

Sadly the board itself is slightly damage where one of the capacitor is located. I tried a fix but....

I found the full board but it's like 300$.... since this monitor is now 11 year old I don't think I will invest more in it.

Ben

Hi. Just been looking at this again as I had a 27” LG monitor go on me a while ago. Still in my garage, and it was only 3 years old. Could that be the case for mine, the capacitors I mean. All so how do you get into these flat screens I can not see any screws anyware. Derek.

Guest Colin M

I once repaired a big Sony CRT monitor, 21"   well it was big for its time :) but it was a capacitor problem too and it took me much research to fault find the problem and perhaps a couple of £'s for a suitable replacement capacitor and then again hours of research to find a suitable one, ... then a few more hours to dismantle the Monitor after leaving it unplugged for a few days, because those old CRT's could hold a lethal charge for quite a while, then just seconds to solder on the new capacitor, put it all back together again and lo and behold, it worked! was quite pleased with myself I must admit.

Was it worth it? Probably not because I soon gave it to a friend and bought my first big LCD monitor (a 28" widescreen one) and never looked back :)

Sadly,  Monitors are fast becoming disposable items in our society, and sometimes its just easier to throw away the old and get something newer and take advantage of newer technology too.

Benny, you are thinking about 4K, I'd just go for it if I were you, last year I bought a good quality Phillips 43" 4K Monitor just for flight sim and its amazing, my only regret is I did not go bigger, because you really can get used to any size of screen it seems, modern 4K TV's make fine PC monitors too apparently, but I have still to make that leap, perhaps next year, but research before you choose, please :)

Guest Colin M
51 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi. Just been looking at this again as I had a 27” LG monitor go on me a while ago. Still in my garage, and it was only 3 years old. Could that be the case for mine, the capacitors I mean. All so how do you get into these flat screens I can not see any screws anyware. Derek.

Derek, I dont think they want you to get inside to repair any-more, or at least some manufacturers will make it difficult to repair, their reasoning is, just get a new one, we live in a disposable society now and right or wrong this is how it will be ... I agree though, we should be allowed to repair things if we can.

Depending on your country's laws, and the age of your Monitor if bought new, it might be worth looking at a warranty claim? You should at least have a 1 year warranty point of sale warranty but also up to 5 years or more in my case for my new Phillips 43" 4K monitor warranty too, Dell in particular have a good extended monitor warranty service, so please consider this too if you are about to purchase something new.

A good warranty and assuming it will be honoured, well thats a good peace of mind too and something to consider when buying new.

Hi Colin. Na I only had 2-3 year warranty and mine had gone over by a couple of months. I did phone them up but would had to have paid depending on what was wrong with it. So decided not to bother, wish now I had. The one I have now is ok but small but it does the job. Derek.

11 hours ago, Benny said:

Thanks Mike, I found it, 3200UF 10V, bough some for 2$ each, soldered them but now it's worse, I plug the screen and it does open for 2 second and shut down after.

Sadly the board itself is slightly damage where one of the capacitor is located. I tried a fix but....

I found the full board but it's like 300$.... since this monitor is now 11 year old I don't think I will invest more in it.

Ben

Nice try ! Sometimes it works by replacing only the ones with visible defects, but sometime we have to replace some others around those.  At least you tried to repair it.  It's just a shame we have to dispose all those big screens just because of few small defective parts @ $1 ch.

13 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

It's just a shame we have to dispose all those big screens just because of few small defective parts @ $1 ch.

Yes it'S a same.. I will give another try. The fact that it doens't do that hissing sound no  more is that I fixed something. Like I said it will open for 2 second but shut down after.

The button in the front are touch sensitive one and they do nothing now. To see it ON for to second I have to plug the 120V  cable IN.

Archived