YSCB scenery out of date?

I have YSCB installed and do not have Canberra cityscape. Running under P3Dv4.2.

There appears to have been a lot of additional building at the terminal since the release. Most of the gate assignments have been reallocated.

I had decided to use gate 12. Current charts show it at the southern end of a curved terminal building, whereas the scenery places stand 12 as an open area with a building plot at its front.

Are we due an update anytime soon?

Regards, R:rolleyes:

I tend to disagree with you on this Richard..Airports are constantly evolving, and I really do not see the need for constant updates. So long as I have a "reasonably" realistic airport, I am happy..Much better to see the team producing more alternatives for us to fly to, in my opinion..Teecee.

Hello Richard,

I asked the same question when I purchased YSCB last year and was given similar answers.

As a local, I pointed out the product was now over 10 years out of date, but it was not described as being so in any of the Orbx advertising.

I can remember often flying out of Canberra when the large new terminal was a construction site as depicted. (It is exactly how it looked by the way before they pulled the old Terminal down)

You are also correct that current CASA charts eg.  http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SCBAP01-148_01MAR2018.pdf or the Navigraph databases eg. https://www.navigraph.com/FMSData.aspx that anyone would use for flight planning don't exactly match the scenery. If you are entering gate data into your FMC you need to remember that. (The light general aircraft parking as well as the runways and taxiways have changed very little by the way)

I believe that if the YSCB scenery is not going to be updated (I doubt if it will)  it just should be correctly described as a historical representation within the advertising text and dated, or all the appropriate Charts be included in the documentation.

My opinion.

(The Orbx Canberra Cityscape blends in quite well with YSCB by the way)

Aussie

• 4 months later...

Hi ORBX Team,

I am wishing to purchase YSCB, it's been on my wishlist for some time now.
However I notice the screenshots on the shop page show the old terminals, but the advertisement doesn't mention how up-to-date the product is.
Do you think your airport pages need to have the date of production listed so customers can make an informed decision?

Are there plans to modify this product to reflect Canberra's current state any time soon?
If so, I would gladly purchase it and expect the update to come.
But I will not purchase it if there is no intention to make upgrades, as I would be wasting my money.

Please advise.

Samuel.

Hi Samuel,
I'm not on staff or team, now just a customer like yourself,  below are my personal thoughts, staff/devs/team members would have a much better overview of the "Point in Time" development process and what is in the current Dev Cycle.

Interesting, I guess Date Stamping a project might work for some, and for others like myself, just revel in the representation of what has been made.
How often would you propose these updates or more precisely complete rebuilds be made available. Considering a typical development cycle, Concept, Alpha, Beta-testing & debugging, can take many many months to be Ready for The Market. Often involving many members of the team already working hard to deliver new and interesting products. There are from time to time major Service Packs that do bring former projects up-to-date but they must be measured by Sim-economics, and the availability of staff to belay a paid project over a free update. All major rebuilds must have a cost factor built into the dev cycle. 
As I see it, the point in time current offering is perfectly acceptable, a nicely detailed version of Canberra YSCB at a point in time. With so many products in the Orbx lineup it would be nigh on impossible to re-develop a current date historically accurate representation (for each Title) just to have it all undone by new features added to an airport in real life.

The availability of pictures and sometimes video, in the software preview page/s is a perfect way to preview a particular Airport/scenery you have an interest, then decide if it has enough of what you need (Historically speaking) there has to be a cutoff point for detail vs tech vs Project date, there are also many user/ staff preview Screenshot topics showing the products and features.

Go ahead and take it from the "Wishlist" and put it on the "Buy" list, there isn't a better more current YSCB version out in the market as far as I know. Also you need to consider FTX Canberra Cityscape from the POV of current users and future purchasers, and how well it blends with the current offering (not so old, historical airport), this would also require factoring in if a newer more historically current version was begun.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:48 AM, Aussie123 said:

Hello Richard,

I asked the same question when I purchased YSCB last year and was given similar answers.

As a local, I pointed out the product was now over 10 years out of date, but it was not described as being so in any of the Orbx advertising.

I can remember often flying out of Canberra when the large new terminal was a construction site as depicted. (It is exactly how it looked by the way before they pulled the old Terminal down)

You are also correct that current CASA charts eg.  http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SCBAP01-148_01MAR2018.pdf or the Navigraph databases eg. https://www.navigraph.com/FMSData.aspx that anyone would use for flight planning don't exactly match the scenery. If you are entering gate data into your FMC you need to remember that. (The light general aircraft parking as well as the runways and taxiways have changed very little by the way)

I believe that if the YSCB scenery is not going to be updated (I doubt if it will)  it just should be correctly described as a historical representation within the advertising text and dated, or all the appropriate Charts be included in the documentation.

Aussie

All the screenshots for YSCB show exactly what you get.  All ORBX airports are point in time products.  Perhaps Canberra has changed more than most but it doesn't alter the inevitable fact that any airport you buy will be out of date somewhat.  YBCG is an example of how a recent release was unable to incorporate the latest additions to the airport because the imagery etc that was commissioned for the project was point in time and the airport was evolving quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean by appropriate charts being included in the documentation, the charts in the User Guide are the charts for the point in time layout.

John, as I wrote way back in March to correct myself.Yes, the appropriate correct 2008 Charts are included in the package. I apologised at the time.

All Samuel is saying, shouldn't the scenery mention somewhere that you are buying a 2008 depiction of the Canberra terminal? As you know absolutely none of it exists anymore. The whole terminal, jetways, parking and gates. All gone.

But, as Jeff says Samuel, there isn't a better depiction of YSCB available anywhere.. 

Aussie

1 hour ago, Aussie123 said:

John, as I wrote way back in March to correct myself.Yes, the appropriate correct 2008 Charts are included in the package. I apologised at the time.

All Samuel is saying, shouldn't the scenery mention somewhere that you are buying a 2008 depiction of the Canberra terminal? As you know absolutely none of it exists anymore. The whole terminal, jetways, parking and gates. All gone.

But, as Jeff says Samuel, there isn't a better depiction of YSCB available anywhere.. 

Aussie

I don't believe so.  That would then require Orbx to continually update all airport and scenery packages with similar information.  Where do you draw the line?  2 years out of date?  5 years out of date?  

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I certainly don't expect that much continued effort and attention to every single product.

However, full disclosure to customers about what they're buying would be the least I expect.

FlyTampa do this well by labelling older, out-dated products as Legacy products which sell at a lower price.

I think ORBX could also disclose that this airport is a 2008 rendition. Had I not studied the screenshots closely, I would not have known the terminals were actually out-of-date prior to making a purchase.

Moving forward, I am still tempted as you say, to purchase this airport regardless. It does offer a very detailed Canberra to which I can fly. And it would integrate well with FTX AU and Cityscape.

However, would a purchase now enable a discount if this airport is updated? I'd hate to buy this old version only to see a replacement come out in 12 months which I have to re-purchase at full cost. Saying that, it is on sale right now.

I don't think the updated charts is such a big deal, unless runway data is changing.
Thus as long as the 2008 charts were included with the airport purchase, then you can still refer to the data listed in that chart and use it for the airport.

Apron layout is less important, as you can still find your way around.

Hi shhmule,

I certainly can't speak for Orbx staff and developers as to what might be in the offering's down the track should you purchase YSCB now (discount pricing certainly makes it an easier choice, with a little hope for any future update whatever the pricing might be, the product would be absolutely worth adding to your lineup). But I can reference what has happened for customers who had previously purchased Melbourne International YMMLv2 as example when YMMLv3 was re-developed & released current users were able to upgrade at a discount. This may well be the case in future if YSCB were to be completely re-developed / updated, though that is completely up to Orbx. Its certainly not beyond their generosity where rewarding customers with updates at a discount have occurred in the past.

As I'm not on the team any longer (it would be an NDA no no to reveal such plans even if I were still on the team)  it is impossible to know the answer, and I suspect unless JV were to post an announcement of any possible update to YSCB we will never know.
Perhaps Orbx staff could clarify.

• 5 months later...

I think this is the answer I would give if I were the producer would be just as John Dow said..

" I don't believe so.  That would then require Orbx to continually update all airport and scenery packages with similar information.  Where do you draw the line?  2 years out of date?  5 years out of date? "

If and when these larger airports were to be updated I would expect to have to re-purchase anyway. Terry.

• 1 month later...

After spending the weekend down at Canberra and staying at the hotel there next to the airport (with a cracking view of the rwy 35 touchdown zone) its such a shame that this scenery (I guess at this stage) will never be brought into line to its current state.

For me I came home keen to fly in and out of Canberra but after reviewing the screenshots again I cant bring myself to spending a dollar on what is currently a massively out of date rendition.

While airports change all the time and many releases are all ready out of date to its real world counterpart, I dont think it to be unreasonable for anyone asking about the possibility of an update or new rendition for something that is 10 years out of date...especially when you compare the below image to the YSCB Product page.

TBH I dont think anyone would be upset if they had to pay for a new rendition...one can only dream I guess

33921599_815033325349010_1446566601863200768_o.jpg

Hi Flukey,

Glad you enjoyed your time here in Canberra on the weekend (The temperature is now dropping as we head into winter [3 degrees C in the Capital this morning])

Without racking over OLD ground, in my opinion, as a local, the Orbx YSCB package is worth the Sale price. It would be even better if it went into a legacy series but I don't think it will. 

But YSCB, along with the Canberra Cityscape it makes flying in the area very enjoyable.

By the way, did you notice all the public art around the airport? The mob of 3 metre high kangaroos that went out near the R17 taxiway has drawn many comments since they went in around 5 years ago. 

https://www.canberraairport.com.au/news/flying-kangaroos-at-canberra-airport/

Aussie

800px-Canberra_Airport_Kangaroos.jpg

Might have another think about it then when 50% off ;), But without the new terminal it just dont feel right!

I quite like the nations capital, made for a nice little weekend away with the family (from up here in Sydney) as there is quite a lot for both Kids and big kids like myself to do...

But yes it was quite fresh, Ive actually come back with a cold :lol:

The only way Canberra will ever be updated is if a developer took the project on, which would involve getting access to Airside to get photos, new aerial imagery (expensive) and the hundreds of hours to get it right, then was able to convince every owner of YSCB and a bunch of new customers to pay full price for the updated version.I can't see that happening any time soon.

So, if you don't have Canberra, and you don't want to purchase an historical rendition, I guess you're not going to get the airport anytime soon.

I live 5 km away and I am not that worried about the out of date version because it's that version or nothing. :)

Archived