My first from XP-11

andy1252

I've had XP-11 (and XP-10) for a while, but never really gotten to grips with it. Basically, I don't much like the look of it. But I thought I'd try and get a handle on it now that Orbx is getting involved. I'm struggling with the mechanics of it still (can't seem to get the sort of camera views I would like for example - I can never move the Pov back far enough in the cockpit views) and I really don't like the fuzziness of the atmospherics. I realise that a lot of people say that this sort of atmospheric rendering is  very realistic and one of their favourite things about it but I prefer the sharpness and palette I can get in P3D. But, it's early days and I am quite willing to be told I'm actually doing it wrong and I need to try "xxxx" etc.

Anyway, here's my first tentative steps over Chicago. If any of you X-Plane afficianados out there want to point me towards any improvements I'll be more than happy to listen.

EG1wLK9.jpg

S5jMQ68.jpg

pR8tlio.jpg

ahIpFDe.jpg

ZoDFuod.jpg

vdLW3Yq.jpg

utouuh8.jpg

HWlmkFy.jpg

MR4jc0B.jpg

K2f5BYP.jpg

Haven't done a direct comparison flight yet, but I wonder if I've got this scenery set up correctly. Chicago seems a lot greener here than I remember it in P3D.

First thing right off...do a YouTube search for:   Ortho4XP.  Grab a coffee, and view the what is it/how to do it, videos, and then read as much as you can absorb.  After you do...you can have a literally RL world down below your wing or rotors...anywhere...everywhere...you only need to start the journey.  Your Orbx will sit nicely upon it, and play in the sandbox...  My greater Cicago surrounding Orbx KCGX is real life depictions...anything that is there...is...there.  There are so many things you can learn...for instance, when you get more practiced and involved with XP11, you can have your XP11 traffic autogen...travel upon the actual sat captured roadways...yep...because you can by a simply trick, create two folders that you place into your Custom Scenery, and they will hide and make transparent, the XP11 roadways...from XP11's overlays...and so...you will see the cars, magically be travelling down the REAL boulevards, country roads, suburbia...trying to get to work, lol...and only the highways stay as the black-top XP11 default. The conversion is amazing to behold, and cranks your belief module, to past bursting.

Man, there is so much custom that you can do...to make your version of XP11 as rendered, totally different to the next bloke...yep!

The following three examples is what you can end up with...using Ortho4XP....just takes your involvement and time...:)  Add your coming Orbx titles..that sit upon this potential...and there you go!  

MD80_2.png

Cessna_172_SP_G1000_32.png

Cessna_172_SP_G1000_33.png

PNW

@andy1252, your shots seem to be missing both the provided orthos and the autogen layer (Hence why it looks really green). Could you please open a support ticket and inside that ticket add the "Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini" file located inside your X-Plane folder to see if we can tell what has happened if you didn't disable these yourself.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, andy1252 said:

I've had XP-11 (and XP-10) for a while, but never really gotten to grips with it. Basically, I don't much like the look of it. But I thought I'd try and get a handle on it now that Orbx is getting involved. I'm struggling with the mechanics of it still (can't seem to get the sort of camera views I would like for example - I can never move the Pov back far enough in the cockpit views) and I really don't like the fuzziness of the atmospherics. I realise that a lot of people say that this sort of atmospheric rendering is  very realistic and one of their favourite things about it but I prefer the sharpness and palette I can get in P3D. But, it's early days and I am quite willing to be told I'm actually doing it wrong and I need to try "xxxx" etc.

Anyway, here's my first tentative steps over Chicago. If any of you X-Plane afficianados out there want to point me towards any improvements I'll be more than happy to listen.

K2f5BYP.jpg

Haven't done a direct comparison flight yet, but I wonder if I've got this scenery set up correctly. Chicago seems a lot greener here than I remember it in P3D.

Are you familiar with the fog_be_gone tweak? This adjustment can greatly sharpen your scenery experience.

Add this editor plugin:https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/datarefeditor/

Under Plugins

> Select Data Ref Editor

>>Select Show Art Controls

>>>"type" fog

>>>>look at the short list of data references, second from the top is: fog/fog_be_gone=1.000000

>>>>>"click" on the numbers it will open up to an editable box.

>>>>>>change the "1" to a "0"....and you can enter other decimal points afterward to add back in some level of haze, IE 0.200000

>>>>>>>>click "close" on the bottom right

And presto you will have a scenery free of the haze.

Also you can quickly change other sky colours by using select DEVELOPER, drop down select SKY COLOURS and pick and chose one to your liking.

Cheers

Bryan

9 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Thanks Bryan, I'll grab this and give it a go. There are a lot of people out there raving about X-Plane so I figure it must be worth persevering with it <grin>. And then I can do the same with AFS2 (haven't even got my controls working properly with that one yet!).

And I've still got a load of freeware scenery to go on to P3D. Ahh, so many sims, so little time!

On 3/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I have to say Andy, Orbx has given me some compelling reasons to someday try XP and these shots show it!  You may not think they're ok but I think they look great.

Very early days for me with this, Jack, and I don't know how far I'll persevere with it, but I'll give it a go.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:57 PM, tonywob said:

@andy1252, your shots seem to be missing both the provided orthos and the autogen layer (Hence why it looks really green). Could you please open a support ticket and inside that ticket add the "Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini" file located inside your X-Plane folder to see if we can tell what has happened if you didn't disable these yourself.

Hi Tony, and thanks - have done that.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:17 AM, VH-KDK said:

Looking good Andy but  when they get 50 hours in the day then I might give it a look!:)

Oh yes, know that feeling ok!

On 3/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, PNW User said:

First thing right off...

Hi PNWU, thanks for the info. I'd already seen one of your other posts talking about this and have downloaded it and had a quick play. Got the sample tile working (I think) but will certainly have some questions to resolve. I might PM you with one very basic starting question if that's ok? But apart from that, I won't bug you about it - I'll RTFM <grin>

And Stewart and Iain - thanks for looking, and I hope to post some better shots eventually!

(and can anyone tell me how you get those blue user name boxes embedded in these replies?)

6 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Very early days for me with this, Jack, and I don't know how far I'll persevere with it, but I'll give it a go.

Hi Tony, and thanks - have done that.

Oh yes, know that feeling ok!

Hi PNWU, thanks for the info. I'd already seen one of your other posts talking about this and have downloaded it and had a quick play. Got the sample tile working (I think) but will certainly have some questions to resolve. I might PM you with one very basic starting question if that's ok? But apart from that, I won't bug you about it - I'll RTFM <grin>

And Stewart and Iain - thanks for looking, and I hope to post some better shots eventually!

(and can anyone tell me how you get those blue user name boxes embedded in these replies?)

Will be glad to help...there is a curve, but once past that...you will become an Ortho Producing Fiend!  LOL

20 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Add this editor plugin:https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/datarefeditor/

Under Plugins

> Select Data Ref Editor

>>Select Show Art Controls

>>>"type" fog

>>>>look at the short list of data references, second from the top is: fog/fog_be_gone=1.000000

>>>>>"click" on the numbers it will open up to an editable box.

>>>>>>change the "1" to a "0"....and you can enter other decimal points afterward to add back in some level of haze, IE 0.200000

>>>>>>>>click "close" on the bottom right

And presto you will have a scenery free of the haze.

Also you can quickly change other sky colours by using select DEVELOPER, drop down select SKY COLOURS and pick and chose one to your liking.

Cheers

Bryan

If you want to make it a permanent dataref you need to do this: (because the dataref resets itself everytime you reboot the sim).

Write a simple LUA script.

First, you have to install "FlyWithLua Complete Edition".

Then, you write a text file to set the specific dataref you want to use, for example this one:

set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2)

Save the text file with the .lua suffix, put it into the "X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts" folder, and it will automatically set the dataref for you at every start of X-Plane.

11 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Thanks Bryan, I'll grab this and give it a go. There are a lot of people out there raving about X-Plane so I figure it must be worth persevering with it <grin>. And then I can do the same with AFS2 (haven't even got my controls working properly with that one yet!).

And I've still got a load of freeware scenery to go on to P3D. Ahh, so many sims, so little time!

I would say its a great sim and only getting better, some parts of XP in my view are much better than P3D and the old FSX. I'm running both P3D4 and XP11 in parallel.  It took my years of tweaking, playing around with FSX and now P3D to get the sim that way it needs to be, so you should expect the same from XP11. Read the forums, there are some great how to get started stuff, learn how things are configured, buy a few addons esp. planes like Kodiak, Otter, of if your a heavy flying find a good tubeliner. Get RXP GTN.  Get some weather and environment programs just like P3D etc.

I think in many ways I like XP better than P3D. And the global freeware airports are amazingly good, and the system for folks to upload their freeware and have it incorporated into the base sim is spectacular.

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

I would say its a great sim and only getting better, some parts of XP in my view are much better than P3D and the old FSX. I'm running both P3D4 and XP11 in parallel.  It took my years of tweaking, playing around with FSX and now P3D to get the sim that way it needs to be, so you should expect the same from XP11. Read the forums, there are some great how to get started stuff, learn how things are configured, buy a few addons esp. planes like Kodiak, Otter, of if your a heavy flying find a good tubeliner. Get RXP GTN.  Get some weather and environment programs just like P3D etc.

I think in many ways I like XP better than P3D. And the global freeware airports are amazingly good, and the system for folks to upload their freeware and have it incorporated into the base sim is spectacular.

To my surprise (given how many times I've fired it up and then given up with it), I've found myself very impressed with XP11 now that I've started to look seriously at tweaking it to get it the way it might work for me.  I'd sort of forgotten how much time and effort, research (and expense) I've put in to P3D over the last couple of years to get it to the point I'm really happy with. So it's an interesting thing to have both the mature (ish) delight of my P3D setup, and also have a whole new environment to play with.

And I do also have AFS2 to look at yet - got that as well, am rather impressed with it but haven't really got even the basics of it in hand yet. Oh, and I do have FSW on my machine, but I've really not been impressed with that. So that one is WAY down the list of projects.

So thanks for your help and inspiration, Bryan - much appreciated! (and I PM'd you back re your Lua advice, thanks)

These are great shots Andy!  I am also a multi-sim user - I have XP11, P3D, DCS and now Aerofly... they each have their strengths and I enjoy them all, but SO glad that Orbx has entered the X-plane world!

If I may suggest - since you are flying the default Sikorsky here, for X-Plane I can highly recommend the Dreamfoil helis and the X-Trident Bell 412 as well.  IMO only DCS has better helicopter flight modeling than those gems.  The Dreamfoil Bell 407 and the X-Trident 412 have been upgraded to "XP11" standard, and the DFoil AS350 is close to being upgraded.  If you like helicopters, there is not a better match than X-Plane and Orbx!

13 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

If you want to make it a permanent dataref you need to do this: (because the dataref resets itself everytime you reboot the sim).

Write a simple LUA script.

First, you have to install "FlyWithLua Complete Edition".

Then, you write a text file to set the specific dataref you want to use, for example this one:

set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2)

Save the text file with the .lua suffix, put it into the "X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts" folder, and it will automatically set the dataref for you at every start of X-Plane.

Here's another custom .lua script entry to modify the HAZE:   Create another .lua for this:

set("sim/private/controls/atmo/atmo_scale_raleigh", 30.0)
set("sim/private/controls/atmo/inscatter_gain_mie", -0.5)
set("sim/private/controls/atmo/inscatter_gain_raleigh", B)
set("sim/private/controls/atmo/scatter_raleigh_b", 75.0)
set("sim/private/controls/atmo/scatter_raleigh_g", 9.4) 
set("sim/private/controls/atmo/scatter_raleigh_r", 5.6)
set("sim/private/controls/hdr/gain_min", 2.0)
set("sim/private/controls/hdr/sky_gain", 8.0)
set("sim/private/controls/hdr/white_point", 2.2) 
set("sim/private/controls/fog/std_deviation_cutoff", 0.5)
set("sim/private/controls/dome/kill_glares", 1.0)
set("sim/private/controls/clouds/spec_gain", 20.0)

5 hours ago, PNW User said:

Here's another custom .lua script entry to modify the HAZE:

Cheers PNW. Got my torrent dl'ing as we speak so haven't played with the lua scripts yet, but will before the weekend is out.

Thanks again for all the help and advice,

Archived