Correct order in scenery .ini file

Default airports are all in "Global Airports". In your scenery_packs.ini, you have the OrbX' mesh ABOVE Global Airports, though, so the mesh overwrites the airports. You also have the overlays of the OrbX scenery BELOW your mesh, so you don't even see the full OrbX scenery. Did you sort this by yourself or did you use FTX Central?

As a general rule, meshes have to go near the end of the scenery_packs.ini, below any airports and overlays. Overlays should be below airports, but above meshes.

Your sorting should look similar to this:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_C_Overlay/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/

I used the installer which for me is alien to me in the Xplane environment since most things are placed by me and then I arrange them in the .ini file myself. I will go and change those items shown above which makes sense since I have tons of OrthoXP stuff and with the overlays. I questioned  the order of the files place there since it didnt make sense. First time for ORBX in XPlane. Scenery is awesome. Always growing pains. Have all the big stuff in P3D and Steam. Look forward to XPlane projects. Thanks

I agree that the installer needs to be a bit more refined or a a bit less refined. Bear with me on that statement. I mean that it is currently attempting to do the job for us by placing the 3 files into the Custom Scenery folder in the correct sequence. It is not really that accurate at present as highlighted by the above users post(tim737murphy)

I would suggest that the installer just places the 3 files into Custom Scenery at the top of the ini list and informs the user as to the proper sequencing in an installation note. Most XP users know the correct sequence regarding sequence priorities (Airports/Global airports/Overlays/ mesh) but we are not only dealing with old hands here, there are newcomers to consider.  An installation note similar to what M. Donick showed in his reply is a partial example of what I suggest. The Orbx install note should be a little more detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.3.2018 at 4:52 PM, olderndirt said:

Wouldn't the same order apply with KCGX?

Yes, this is what I was writing.

But every developer names its folders differently, and the KCGX folders are not so clearly named. So one should always check exactly what a folder contains / which function it fulfills.

Thanks to SimHeaven, I use the following order for the .ini file.

own and custom airports

original airports
(Aerosoft…, Global Airports …)

additional regional sceneries
(VFR-Addons like VFR-Objects, …)

additional continental w2xp sceneries (if installed)
(for outside Europe e.g. VFR-Landmarks, VFR-Aerials, Forests…)

w2xp sceneries (if installed)
(X-EUROPE, w2xp_America…)

libraries
(OpenSceneryX, FF_Library…)

overlay photo sceneries (if installed, you don’t need it for X-EUROPE)
(yOrtho4XP_Overlays if you are using Ortho4XP sceneries)

photo sceneries (if installed)
(generated with G2XPL Ortho4XP…)

mesh files (if installed)
(HD Scenery Mesh v4)

This works for me

Kind regards

Ian S

• 3 weeks later...

There is an unofficial way to attempt at a constant. I use the alphabet method. For example I label any airport addon with the preface of Airport- as shown below:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Airport-EDDM_4_0/ This will ensure all your airport addons are arranged at the top of the ini as they are supposed to be. All overlays are usually labelled as Y_ and mesh as zzz. You see the logic?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 1:01 AM, jjaycee1 said:

There is an unofficial way to attempt at a constant. I use the alphabet method. For example I label any airport addon with the preface of Airport- as shown below:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Airport-EDDM_4_0/ This will ensure all your airport addons are arranged at the top of the ini as they are supposed to be. All overlays are usually labelled as Y_ and mesh as zzz. You see the logic?

I agree with this approach and have used it routinely.

However I have found that it has created issues for me with libraries, because some other freeware sceneries that I use seem to somehow use hard-coded library names or have a strange order in the library.txt file, or not use a library fext tile at all. 

I have since written some batch files and folder renaming programs for my own use that keeps everything in alphabetical order both in win explorer and also in the scenery_packs.ini file.

It works really well and keeps an organized structure as I add anything new. 

Another little thing that I do is to create  dummy folders that also help to keep things organized

For example:

From my scenery_packs.ini file. By using little designation such as a, m as a prefix to the folder name for both the actual scenery folder as well as the dummy folder things will sort out nicely.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_L52_A_Oceano_County/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/000_Disabled/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a 1 ----------  Custom Airport Sceneries ---------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a Australia Launceton YMLT by CDG v1.30/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a Australia YMML Melbourne 1.01 (ISDG)/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a AustraliaYSSY Sydney Kingsford Smith 1.50 (ISDG)/

etc ...

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft  1 ---------- Aerosoft Sceneries --------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/

etc ...

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/m 1 ---------- Overlay  Sceneries -------------------------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/m AustraliaPro 2.03 (chrisk and cole)/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/m b_UK Oil Fields 1.4/

etc ...

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/o 1 ---------- Base Libraries --------------------------------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/3D_people_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/AEHD_Ramps/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/AEHD_Taxilines/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BS2001 Object Library/

etc ...

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z 1 ---------------------  MESH ------------------------------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z1.1 Treelines_Farms_North_America_v2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zz USA Alaska RD_USA_AK_PAWD_Orthophoto/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zz USA Alaska RD_USA_AK_PAWD_Terrain_mesh/
etc..

Cheers

Renault

Archived