Sydney - strange LC texture issue with FlyTampa

Perk

So I've had the same strange texture issue in 4.2 a lot of people are reporting both in AU and in some OpenLC-NA areas.  After reinstalling AU, Global, OpenLC-NA, and the P3Dv4.2 client I've come to to conclusion that this is some sort of interplay between Flytampa scenery areas and the Orbx terrain.cfg entries.  I've primarily had issues around Sydney, Tampa, and Toronto - all FlyTampa airports.

For testing, this is the Sydney area with freshly generated terrain.cfg after a P3Dv4.2 client install.  I have NOT run FTX Central to re-insert the Orbx terrain.cfg at this point.  FlyTampa Sydney and Sydney_LC scenery areas are active and at the top of the library (below native v4.2 addons).  This looks mostly correct:

5a9578fe8bd04_yssy-cleantexture_cfg.thumb.jpg.c2bcf70b0797e5b2a7b9f99c76e3ec0d.jpg

After running FTX Central and confirming the Orbx entries have been re-added to terrain.cfg.  The problem has reoccured:5a9578fc6de68_yssy-orbxtexture_cfg.thumb.jpg.4210f53a9a6cb3e08dd536e02431c874.jpg

Then on a hunch I disabled *all* FlyTampa scenery.  Default airport but the texture problem is gone:

5a9578fa337bf_yssy-allFlyTampadisabled_cfg.thumb.jpg.f4356c3d3b8dc36fbeaddf147fc7f3ac.jpg

As a final test, I reenabled FlyTampa Scenery and Libraries EXCEPT for the Sydney_LC folder.  This appears to be completely normal:

5a9578f84344b_yssy-FlyTampaSydney_LCdisabled_cfg.thumb.jpg.3dab513e48fb62eac4e28b8998ae018a.jpg

Similar experience around Toronto.  Disabling the Toronto_LC folder has corrected the texture issues there as well.  Tampa however is an oddity.  It does not have a separate _LC folder, but something in the mucking around I've done today seems to have corrected the issue there as well.

In any event, I can certainly live without the FlyTampa custom LC (since I don't notice much difference between it and Orbx's LC anyway), but I'm very curious as to specifically WHAT texture interplay is going on here.  It's obviously something strange between FlyTampa and the Orbx terrain entries as it works fine with a clean terrain.cfg.

Hope this helps someone else.  I'd be very curious what happens if someone disables the FlyTampa Sydney_LC or Toronto_LC scenery folders BEFORE they try a lot of reinstalling.

Hi there,

thanks for posting those comparison screenshots.

The reason for the display issue is a mismatch between two sets of landclass definitions. Unless a local landclass file (raster or polygon) includes a full texture set of its own it will always use the textures of the underlying active landclass set. Presumably the FlyTampa LC placement file is based on the the default landclass set but that's no longer active with FTX Australia installed and thus incorrect textures are being displayed. Moreover, if the sim cannot find the textures for a class called by a landclass placement file (e.g., they don't exist in FTX Australia) then it will display random textures that constantly change or "morph" when flying near them.

Given that this is an open support forum we suggest that people run a search with relevant keywords because they are most likely not the first with their issue. In this case, typing  something like "Sydney landclass" in the forum's search box brings up quite a number of threads including several that provide the solution, meaning deactivating the "Sydney_LC" entry. For example:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/143038-ftx-australia-sydney/?tab=comments#comment-1262381

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130294-trouble-in-sydney/?do=findComment&comment=1159708

Cheers, Holger 

Hello Holenger

i have the same problem but it's not confined to Fly Tempa Sydney. 

My problem happens pretty much at any destination generally on descent at about 5000 feet and below

the lower I get the worse it gets. I have lots of ORBX airports. and  BASE VECTOR AU NZ EU 

i have aver tried the fix that you put up dated 2014 a number of times but problem keeps coming back 

I have tried a complete reinstall of all ORBX scenery 

I have done migration in central I have configured vector 

I have done insertion tool 

I'm really running out of ideas

could you please point me to somewhere where I can sort this problem out 

I run P3D v 4.1 but this was happening in v 3xx as well

the land class block on mine keep changing as I fly along, the correct scenery changes to most commonly can be described as satellite map view of islands, ocean and parts of continents then change back to normal scenery as I fly by and the satellite map  blocks move ahead changing normal scenery blocks and so on. 

thank you 

Michael 

• 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, Aussie123 said:

Just a question. After such dramatic changes, people are deleting their shader folder aren't they, and allowing it to rebuild as Poppet suggests?

I've found that helped sort out many scenery problems I've had.

I did not need to. The simple deactivation of FT-LC did it all for me.

But always good to have an potential plan b.

Archived