Going on a Global Addon Tour

Kilstorm

I dont want to call it a world tour but I have decided to start taking a tour of all my addons. Reason why now is because having the worry free OOM issue of P3Dv4 and now most addons are working in P3Dv4, figured it was time. I wont be flying any one type of plane but will use the plane best suited for the leg and how I want to depart and arrive locations. My fleet will be all A2A GA planes plus their B17, B377, Spitfire, Texan and P51. PMDG JS41, Majestic Dash 8 and Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.

I am going to start in Homer Alaska and go down the west coast into USA. Pop down into the Caribbean and back up the east coast of the USA over into Greenland. Europe into the Middle East, Asia and then down into Oz. New Zealand, American Samoa, Hawaii and then back to Alaska.

Here is a map of all my addons I have for scenery. The green are the ones I have, the red ones are the ones that are available along my route that I might pick up as I go and the yellow ones are the ones coming I plan to get. With the exception of a few legs towards the end, the hops are relatively short to medium hauls.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1vCsEHkOc3fyeTw4GoF_Fd1oUf5wbxAM0&ll=26.752107680807903%2C-92.75239440237715&z=3

At every airport I plan to jump in the R22 and do some flight-seeing as well as use Avatar to explore a bit. Heres a video I made of me arriving at PAHO via helo and then walking to the terminal to start my journey. I cued up the video after a quick helo tour that you can see by starting the video at the beginning.  

A great idea, Kiltstorm. And I am sure it will take you a lot of time to fly all your add-ons again, keeping in mind you have purchased them over years.

Or should I say it will give you a long time of pleasure?

The intended helo touring is also giving you a fresh reward of the money spent!

Yeah this will be something I eat away at over the coming years. I normally only sim during the winter off season months. I will be using both P3Dv3 and v4 since some addons aren't v4 ready yet. I basically want to make it down to the PNW before summer is my goal for now.

Wow, this is very cool. Explore the world from the comfort of your chair!

I think I might have "accidentally" started doing something like this!

Last October I started in Sydney and did numerous short hops up the eastern side of Australia. At Cairns (the northern most AU scenery from orbx), I decided I'd keep going north to see the tip of Australia at Cape York (again in several hops through tiny towns/airports). When I got there I decided to hop across some islands into Papua New Guinea. Then I did a few hops west into and Indonesia. I'm currently up to a place called Sorong in Eastern Indonesia.

At this point I have been thinking I may as well keep going and do some sort of world tour. I need to plan the route a bit though. Typically these days I enjoy flying low and slow, so far I have been using Cessna's (mostly the 208 Grand Caravan). However, given the size of the world and some of the large gaps, I may have to reconsider my fleet and add some faster aircraft into the mix! The part from Europe to North America looks quite daunting...

Anyway, I guess planning could be part of the experience to enjoy :)

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Kilstorm!

I wish you well on your trips.;)

I have many up-to-date commercial airports that I need to test with P3Dv4.2, so I have decided to fly to/from each.

I restrict myself to flying the PMDG 777-300ER nowadays. I like to use the long flight segments to read Wikipedia articles to learn about all the countries, regions and cities that I pass over.

Then, I recently learned how to make videos of my flights and decided to set up a YouTube channel to show them. I will be interested in what you feel about them.

Archived