Plausible routes for DC3 in AK, PFJ, PNW or rockies?

ScottGridley

Congratulations on your Manfred John C-47. It's a delight to fly and really can take you just about anywhere. Another possible resource--many states publish small-field guides for GA pilots. Idaho, for example. has a list of some sixty short fields. Just start by Googling the state and GA airports and fields. Might find some gems in there.

Thanks all.  Great stuff.

Interestingly, you can enter tail numbers into flightAware and see recent routes.  I'm trying to find some actual in-service tail numbers for DC-3/C47s.  Anyone have a list of those?  I found a reference on airliners.net to a book published ten years ago, but there should be an up-to-date resource online...no?

15 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Scott, doesn't Airliners.net let you call up aircraft by various criteria,? Searching "DC3" (or C47") and, say, Alaska, would probably unearth some tail numbers.

Sure does!  Great thought.

Quick search at Airliners.net  and I see N61981, a vintage United DC3 was at sun-and-fun.  Plug the tail number into FlightAware and I see it hasn't flown in the last four months, but a plan from KOSH to 2B1 was filed a while back, and looks like a fun route!  This is perfect!

Gotta say I've done this a bit finding paints, when I used to do that. But - just cos we can - I sometimes open our local air traffic, pick a flight, find a pic on airliners.net, step out into my driveway and spot the plane (or photograph it) then go to the airport webcam and watch it park ... so colour me 'geek'.:rolleyes:

Archived