Keep one spare... Just in case.

Crusher

4 minutes ago, paulb said:

Nice shots! That is interesting re the spare engine. I hadn't seen that before. Does it fly faster with five engines? :D

Yeah, 

They had one stranded in Jo'burg last year. Much faster to bolt on an engine ready to go than ship it. They had it there on the next flight because the 744 is such a versatile air frame. Qantas even used it last month as a tanker to carry extra fuel to NZ when there was a fuel shortage. You can pump directly out of the tanks to an aircraft receiving next door whilst on the ground. As for the engine carried, you could never do this on a twin. For an engine out, the extra drag could be quite terminal! :)

JPl65AJ.png

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Great set and an interesting story.

Interesting to see this modelled in Flight Sim and also the RL photo.:)

7 hours ago, RetiredFE said:

Nice!!

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Awesome Crusher.  I haven't done this yet in the sim but it looks cool and they do it all the time all around the world.  This way they can still carry cargo and a spare engine.  Boeing was pretty clever.

Thanks Gents.

I agree with you Jack. Boeing certainly thought about versatility in the airframe.  As I mentioned Qantas even used it to ferry fuel to Auckland a couple of weeks ago due to a burst fuel pipe at the airport limiting supply.... 747 tanker. They still have a few tricks the young guns can't perform but there are fewer around as they are retired for the big twins and the 788 and 789. 

Archived