Complete computer crash

Double Bubble

Guy's I have a problem, I've had a complete computer crash, SSD crash, HDD crash and a possible new mother board, did I have time to back up everything? no, P.C's at the doctor, so when I receive it back and with an extremely low download data per month can I reinstall P3DV3 and then install all my backed up regions and airports for P3DV3 that I have on an external hard drive and disc's purchased from the FSS update everything before reinstalling P3DV4 and start the move again to V4? If I go straight to V4 I assume that I'd be downloading everything from scratch as all my FSS licence's have been migrated over, I'm a little confused on the best way to start all over again.

Regards Rod.

Hello Rod 

What ever version of Prepar3D you had Installed at the time of the crash ?  Your Prepar3D license will need to be reset again 

To save some time and not need to do it at a later stage.......

E-mail licensing@prepar3d.com with a very brief explanation of the reason you need your license reactivated, along with your license ID and invoice number and it should be reset in about 2 working days 

Thanks Elaine, I'm not too concerned about P3D as I had V3 & V4 installed and still have both zip files saved along with licences it's the amount of Orbx downloads in front of me, but I do have all my V3 compatible Orbx stuff in zip files and disc's, so can I start from there before moving to FTXC3 and moving up again.

Cheers Rod 

Can anybody please let me know if it's possible to achieve the above? can I reinstall P3DV3, add my V3 compatible Orbx scenery, airports etc that I have in zip's and on discs same as my prwvious install before the meltdown and start my V4 install over again? the only reason I ask is because of my limited monthly download, if I go straight into P3DV4 it'll take months to get back on track, as it is my sim computer is still at the MSI service centre who knows how long that will take (two weeks so far and counting).

Regards Rod 

Hey Rod,

I'm not sure about the installing from zip question, but did you try to download the latest Firmware for your motherboard and flashing it from a USB drive or something?  Could get you out of a pickle if it's just your mobo.  Otherwise boot into BIOS and reset to factory defaults.

My understanding is that once operating system has been reinstalled and the product has been migrated from FSS, the disc installers will no longer work as there is no way to verify the license information. If the OS isn't reinstalled the FSS installers should still work because the registry entries are still there. What exactly do you have backed up on the external disc(s)? We really need to know that as, if it's the right stuff, all may not be lost..........Doug

The system is dead, firmware, bios updates you name it, it's been at the MSI shop for the last ten days and I was informed yesterday it's now been sent of to the MSI service centre as they were unable to get it to boot, when I get it back who would know, I have everything updated with V3 on the FSS media service disc's and all my sceneries had been migrated from the FSS store right up until V4 was released, I had everything installed into P3DV4 except for my Orbx airports as I was waiting for OBF to offically released when it all went bad before I removed P3DV3, the OS system will be reinstalled because everything was lost.

Rod. 

There is a chance that the data files for both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 are still readable on the old drive. If so, this procedure should be a real help:  

But (there is always one of those) it's critical that the repair shop NOT format or discard the drive that has P3D installed on it. Replace the drive if you have to but don't let them format it as doing so will erase all the P3D data. In any event you'll need the drive with the data files returned to you so the data can be copied onto the new system. Or, better yet, get the repair shop to copy the entire P3D installs onto the new internal drive or an external drive (they're cheap these days). If they think they can get away with just a format and reinstall of the OS tell them they MUST save the P3D data before the format. Luck.....Doug

OK, nothing serious here.  Will have to make a couple of assumptions here, but in the scheme of things, not a big problem.

With a motherboard failure, I doubt very much if the hard disks are corrupted.  If some sections are, then that can usually be repaired with "chkdsk".

In this situation, the thing to do is to buy a new, or near new motherboard of the same brand and model.

Take your old processor and RAM and install it, along with everything else and install it in the new motherboard.

Fire it all up, and check all the BIOS settings, making sure you boot from the correct drive.  You can even go back to the default BIOS settings, but do make sure you boot from the correct drive.

Save the settings and let her rip.  The system should boot exactly the same as it did before the old board failed.  All the drivers will be there and all the applications.

Before running the FS, and if it was installed on a separate drive, go to Admin Tools and computer management and make sure the FS drive has the correct drive letter, if it is not, change it.

Should all work.  Maybe a bit of housekeeping will be required. Run chkdsk on the drives to clear up any errors.

Hey, best of luck.  Help is here.  I have done this many times and failures are few.

Chris.

Thanks for everyones advise it is appreciated, I've just spoken to MSI and expressed my desire to keep everything as much as possible, (not holding my breathe), they will be replacing the SSD, mother board and the OS as both versions of P3D are on the 1TB HDD then its possible most of my sim will be ok, I'm just gonna have to wait and see.

Thanks again guy's,

Regards Rod.

maybe some good advise for future make images or clones from your system, after every upgrade or intallation of new software

I am every time again surprised that people a investing thousends of dollars in hardware and flightsim software.

but don't invest in a simple backup tool of 50 dollar.

sim123, I have been banging on about having proper backups here on Flight Sim forums since the 1980's.

I have written detailed articles on how to go about it and the software to use.

I can completely recover my O/S and flightsim in 7 minutes after HDD failure.

I have given up.  Still I see simmers that have spent a lot of money and spent months and months getting things to work and then the whole lot crashes down, everything lost and lots and lots of tears.

If any of you cannot afford to loose the lot, then go and back it up !

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 1:32 AM, Triplane said:

There is a chance that the data files for both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 are still readable on the old drive. If so, this procedure should be a real help:  

But (there is always one of those) it's critical that the repair shop NOT format or discard the drive that has P3D installed on it. Replace the drive if you have to but don't let them format it as doing so will erase all the P3D data. In any event you'll need the drive with the data files returned to you so the data can be copied onto the new system. Or, better yet, get the repair shop to copy the entire P3D installs onto the new internal drive or an external drive (they're cheap these days). If they think they can get away with just a format and reinstall of the OS tell them they MUST save the P3D data before the format. Luck.....Doug

Hi guy's, well I've received my system back with a blank C:/ drive with only a new "OS" installed, my before "D" drive which had both P3DV3 and P3DV4 installed is still there along with all my addons but is now called "N" drive, my documents folder is completely empty, P3D will obviously need to be reinstalled which is not an issue, I do still have all my addons, aircraft, other airport addons, shader programs, REX and so on to reinstall which I have on an external hard drive, my question is, which only concerns Orbx is that my Orbx folder is still there to copy to a backup as described above so I assume can be reinstalled to my new P3D install, but making a backup of the scenery\World\scenery, sound and Effects folders seems a little daunting as all the later folders contain a bunch of other scenery, sounds and effects from other addons, so I assume I'm only interested in the Orbx stuff here but how do I distinguish only the Orbx files to add to the backup to reinstall? do the texture files come into play here as well?

Regards Rod. 

Hello,

from what I have read you may have to approach Lockheed Martin to get your P3D licences fixed.

They will have no record of your having uninstalled it, as you didn't.

If you don't keep your scenery\world\scenery, sound and effects folders, you run the risk of losing files

that are only replaced by re-installing the whole product.

Not all the files are clearly named as being from Orbx and I gather that you are trying to minimise the downloading.

Archived