Any way to disable AEC in Vector

jfwharton

I'm having an issue with airport elevations in Colorado (haven't started looking elsewhere as yet).  I have ORBX global base, global vector, openLC North America and Europe installed.  I'm finding a lot of the airports seem to be sunken somewhat below ground level.  So I've started disabling AEC airport by airport.  But this is starting to become a pain.  Any idea why I am having this issue?  I also have FS Global 2010 mesh update installed.  I didn't seem to notice the airport issue until I installed openLC North America.

I decided to run the auto configuration again in the Vector control panel.  And yes it put the airports back in a depression again.  So I went back and started checking airports again.  Out of 19 airports I had to disable AEC for the following 7:  KCOS, KDEN, KPUB, KMTJ, 2V1, KBKF, KFTG.  At this rate it won't be worth the time and effort to make the corrections.  What I guess is needed is a way to make a file that can be imported to mass deactivate AEC.

Hi, there.  Every time you run the Auto Configuration, your manual changes are lost.  So, after you've made your manual changes, however many that might be, SAVE it under an appropriate name, such as Global, or North America, if your corrections have been made to North American airports.  Then each time you make a manual change, save the configuration as your assigned label, North America, for example, if that's the only profile you have.  Or if your making changes to European airports save a profile and name it Europe.  In this way you're not making corrections every time you run the correction tool.

Cheers and good luck!

I thought a little more about what you said and it doesn't make sense to me.  If I run the correction tool then it wipes out any manual changes I made.  So I can make manual changes you are saying and then save my profile and it will save those changes.  I can understand that.  So what I would actually have to do is NEVER use the auto configuration tool as it would undo any manual changes, and if I then reload my saved profile, that would undo any changes the auto configuration tool made.  So I guess that is what I will have to do.  What I take out of this is there is a lot more work that needs to be done on the ORBX files so that users don't run into these situations.  I wasn't expecting to have to constantly make manual changes to scenery files because of inaccuracies in airport elevations.

JF I own all of the OrbX scenery except South America and 1 airport. If I have elevation problems with add-ons it's usually fixed by removing and re-installing the addon airport.

I presume you are talking about default airports? Or the free NA airports that come with Global? Don't despair yet Vector is sublime! Following roads and rivers is VFR heaven. As you have just removed it try installing it again last in the chain. DONT run AEC until you load the airport with the issue. Then run it AFTER if there is a plateau.

When it all works the hassle is worth it!

There is a great tool called Scenery Config Editor. I have to use it as like I said I own way too much OrbX for it to all be loaded at once, this tool makes it easy to assign which areas to load and more importantly which have preference in the load order (the higher the priority the more that piece of scenery takes preference over other layers).

You should NOT need to tweak AEC normally. I avoid it after initially running it with all the scenery installed as it's missing most of my add-on airports anyway.

Good luck...it's worth it I promise!

Thank you very much for the information.  I reinstalled Vector and ran the AEC.  Then I disabled AEC for the airports which demonstrate a plateau, or in my case a depression.  I do have the free NA airports installed.  Hadn't thought about that until you just mentioned it.  I will remove the AEC corrections for the 7 airports and then try uninstalling and reinstalling the free NA airports.  I will look for the Scenery Config Editor you mentioned.  Does it work with the steam edition of FSX?  That is what I'm running.  Thank you.

Hello,

If this helps, the Vector AEC function is designed to realign default airports to Pilot's FsGlobal mesh.

Default airports displayed in default mesh do not have elevation errors, most of them at least.

If you don't have a mesh product, the airport elevation will not need to be realigned.

In its default state, Vector realigns no airports.

By default, all default airports covered by Vector are set to AEC enabled.

Vector does not cover them all however.

In theory, the Vector control panel auto configuration function should automatically correct all default airports

to fit their mesh.

This should also include airports replacing default airports, such as the Orbx version of KSEA.

Personally, I find that this is not always the case and I prefer to disable AEC on those that need that to be done

as and when I visit them.

It can usually be done "on the fly" with a reload of the scenery to display the change.

As has been mentioned, this only needs to be done once for each airport, provided that an up to date profile is maintained.

Then, if following a reinstallation all the airports are reset to AEC enabled, applying the saved profile restores the chosen

configuration.

When updates are applied, the FTX Central installer is set to save whatever it finds, restore default settings, apply the update and then

restore the settings it found.

I believe that this what happens.

I realise that this is not a solution for your problem but as the other contributors to this topic are, I am trying to provide you

with enough information to reach your preferred solution.

Apart from this aspect and the broken frozen water in winter, Vector is a major asset to any installation.

Thank you.  So far I have removed Vector, openLC NA and the free NA airports.  When I checked the airports that I had reported elevation problems with were OK.  I reinstalled openLC NA and then the free NA airports and rechecked the airport elevations.  Again everything was OK.  So now I'm reinstalling Vector and will NOT use the auto configuration utility and see what happens.  I'm trying to get this figured out so things will go well when I get my new PC.  I'm having one custom built and should be getting it next week.

OK.

You should know that Open LC products are not capable of affecting an airport's elevation.

Added mesh can make them look very wrong if they are badly made, as are many of the default airports and airfields.

If you have added mesh, then Vector can help to alleviate these problems.

18 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

<snip>

Added mesh can make them look very wrong if they are badly made, as are many of the default airports and airfields.

If you have added mesh, then Vector can help to alleviate these problems.

This is, after all, the function of the AEC tool in Vector.  Keep your 2010 global mesh active and use the AEC tool as has been suggested to solve the problems you have described.  All will be well after that, I believe.

Well after all of this I'm back where I started.  After installing Vector I noticed elevation issues in the same 7 airports.  I tried uninstalling the FS global 2010 mesh.  Still had the same issue.  So the mesh is going back in and I will just have to do as was explained and manually make AEC corrections for those airports that have elevation issues and then resave my profile afterwards.  So much time wasted.  I wish they would fix Vector because from what I can tell Vector is causing the problem I am having.  If I leave everything in and remove Vector the elevation issue goes away.  At least for the airports in Colorado.  Oh well.  Thank you all for the information.  I will just have to learn to live with the limitations of the ORBX software.

I do love the way FSX Steam looks with the ORBX scenery.  I do most of my flying VFR so it's nice to be able to follow the landmarks, roads and rivers from a VFR map.  Can't wait to get my new PC later on this week or the beginning of next.  Thank you all again for all of your advice.

Archived