Running with a helicopter

ridinroun

Just wanted to share this. I'm a truck driver and I was heading north on I-65 north of Indy a couple days ago. I was watching the traffic in front of me when out of the corner of my I saw something swoop down right beside me. It was a helicopter!!! He was spraying a crop. He wasn't more than 30 feet from me and we stayed side by side for about 1/2 a mile. It was sudden and like to give this old man a heart attack. Just don't expect anything on the right side of the truck when in the right lane. Unfortunately I was late grabbing my phone or I would have had a really cool pic to post.

Many years ago I was coming back from the Duxford air show by train. There was a valley next to us. All of a sudden an A10 came out of the valley and "strafed" us passing very closely over us. It was extremely interesting, not scary. It had just performed at the airshow and was returning home (in its natural environment - low). These things occasionally happen, and are a delight to behold when they do.

Two very cool stories.  That's pretty cool pacing a helicopter!  I'd done that with freight trains, but they don't usually sneak up on you.

I was 11 or 12 waiting for the school bus in the morning in front of my parents' house when two A-10 flew over at just over tree top level.  It was about the coolest thing any young boy could see!  My brother and I just looked at each other like WHOA!  We were used to seeing the lumbering C-5s whine overhead since we are on the approach to rwy 01 at Dover AFB, the occasional KC-10 and other freighters, but not fighters (and definitely not two!).  I can still see that fall morning in my mind.

And then there's the crop dusters.  They always seemed to come at 6:30 AM on the weekends!

About 20 years ago I was ferrying a Tomahawk from Humberside to Norwich and was at 3000ft over south Lincolnshire when the LARS controller told me he was going to bring a Spitfire past me. A few minutes later a Spitfire of the BBMF appeared just off of my starboard wing flying at the same speed as me, and I got a welcome wave from the pilot. We then flew in formation of about 15 minutes until he peeled away and I watched him all the way down to a landing at Cottesmore. Made one of my most memorable moments.

Norman

15 hours ago, normandean said:

About 20 years ago I was ferrying a Tomahawk from Humberside to Norwich and was at 3000ft over south Lincolnshire when the LARS controller told me he was going to bring a Spitfire past me. A few minutes later a Spitfire of the BBMF appeared just off of my starboard wing flying at the same speed as me, and I got a welcome wave from the pilot. We then flew in formation of about 15 minutes until he peeled away and I watched him all the way down to a landing at Cottesmore. Made one of my most memorable moments.

Norman

Wow! Now that's a story. Very impressive! 

Archived