Cape Canaveral

andy1252

was thinking about getting a certain other vendor's addon for this in a sale, and thought I'd see what was already there first. Most of the area is missing but the big hangar is there along with a couple of quite impressive launch pads.

dXRMaAl.jpg

Oh, and I had to go check out on Wiki about the name of the place. As a sixties kind of guy I still think of it as "Cape Kennedy", and wasn't sure why it was still being referred to as Cape Canaveral. Didn't realise it had changed back so long ago - what was that about SLITS? (That's "Still Living In The Sixties", in case anyone thinks I'm being somehow obscene/political or whatever)

I read this and it refreshed my memory about the cape :

Cape Kennedy

From 1963 to 1973, the area had a different name when President Lyndon Johnson by executive order renamed the area "Cape Kennedy" after President John F. Kennedy, who had set the goal of landing on the moon. After Kennedy's assassination in November 1963, his widow, Jacqueline Kennedy, suggested to President Johnson that renaming the Cape Canaveral facility would be an appropriate memorial. Johnson recommended the renaming of the entire cape, announced in a televised address six days after the assassination, on Thanksgiving evening.[25][26][27][28] Accordingly, Cape Canaveral was officially renamed Cape Kennedy.[23][29] Kennedy's last visit to the space facility was on November 16, six days before his death;[30][31][32] the final Mercury mission had concluded six months earlier.

Although the name change was approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names of the Department of the Interior in December 1963,[33] it was not popular in Florida from the outset,[29][34][35] especially in the bordering city of Cape Canaveral. In 1973, the Florida Legislature passed a law in May restoring the former 400-year-old name,[36][37] and the Board went along. The name restoration to Cape Canaveral became official on October 9, 1973.[38]Senator Ted Kennedy had stated in 1970 that it was a matter to be decided by the citizens of Florida.[35] The Kennedy family issued a letter stating they "understood the decision," and NASA's Kennedy Space Center retains the "Kennedy" name.[23]

The Gemini,[39]Apollo,[40] and first Skylab missions were all launched from "Cape Kennedy."[41] The first manned launch under the restored name of "Cape Canaveral" was the final Skylab mission, on November 16, 1973.[42][43]

For me it will always be Cape Kennedy .

John

Archived