Deep holes at O17

mnowinski

My bad Stewart.  I've been flying so much in Canada lately, I mistakenly put Canada.  It is Northern Calif. and I do have the ORBX files for it.  Have to keep looking for something pointing a finger at it.

Thanks

I'm still having the same problem with the deep holes at O17 Stewart.  See picture below.

I uninstalled NCA, reinstalled it and with AEC enabled/disabled I get the same thing.  While doing all this, I noticed that I have the ORBX airport at KBLU - Blue Canyon Nyack which is only 14 nm away.  I'm going out shortly, so I'll try uninstalling KBLU and see if it had anything to do with O17 issues.

Thanks for your help.

O17_holes.jpg

Hi there,

this type of issue typically happens if another add-on for that airport uses a different reference altitude but has higher display priority than our version. If you don't know which add-on that might be run a Windows Explorer search of your entire flightsim folder tree for all .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names -- e.g., search term *O17*.bgl -- and post a list or screenshot of the results with full file names and folder paths. An example of such a list is shown here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134687-kmry-elevation-issue/?do=findComment&comment=1195382

Cheers, Holger

I had thought of this, too, Holger, but the OP seems to have only FTX NCA installed (besides OpenLC NA, etc.) and this O17, a small airport at that, lies within FTX NCA.  But you may be correct, something else is interfering with this airport's elevation figure.

Stewart,

Actually I have FTX Global>Base Pack, VECTOR, OpenLC Europe, OpenLC North America, Airport Pack and a few ORBX Airports.  In the North America series, I have Southern and Northern Calif. Northern Rockies and Pacific NorthWest.

See my post below to Holger.

Mike,  What are the details of the first elevation adjustment, the one that's contained in the ...\Orbx\Scripts\...\... etc.  It should be in an "OFF" folder along with many others.  I'm assuming that is the case, since you're listing is just about the same as mine.

19 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Mike,  What are the details of the first elevation adjustment, the one that's contained in the ...\Orbx\Scripts\...\... etc.  It should be in an "OFF" folder along with many others.  I'm assuming that is the case, since you're listing is just about the same as mine.

Not sure "exactly" what you are referring to by "details".  There is a "bgl" file, ADE_FTX_NCA_O17_elevation_adjustment in the ORBX/Scripts/Custom_na/OFF folder though.  I don't know how to get any "details" from a bgl file.  I'll attach the file though.

ADE_FTX_NCA_O17_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Hi guys,

the duplicate file in the \OFF folder is just an inactive backup; whether it's there or not makes no difference to the airport's appearance.

I'm not seeing any obvious issues in your file list. Clearly, though, something is either excluding or overwriting the correct airport files. How does your scenery library menu look like? Do you have any other add-ons active at higher display priority than the Orbx/FTX block of entries? And is the block of Vector entries below (i.e., lower priority than) the FTX block?

Cheers, Holger

1 hour ago, mnowinski said:

Not sure "exactly" what you are referring to by "details".  There is a "bgl" file, ADE_FTX_NCA_O17_elevation_adjustment in the ORBX/Scripts/Custom_na/OFF folder though.  I don't know how to get any "details" from a bgl file.  I'll attach the file though.

ADE_FTX_NCA_O17_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Mike,  Holger's answer was what I was looking for.  All your entries for O17 are the same as mine.  Clearly, something is interfering with the FTX version, as Holger points out.

1 hour ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

the duplicate file in the \OFF folder is just an inactive backup; whether it's there or not makes no difference to the airport's appearance.

I'm not seeing any obvious issues in your file list. Clearly, though, something is either excluding or overwriting the correct airport files. How does your scenery library menu look like? Do you have any other add-ons active at higher display priority than the Orbx/FTX block of entries? And is the block of Vector entries below (i.e., lower priority than) the FTX block?

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

My Scenery Order is as follows:

All 3rd Party scenery add-ons

FTX

FTX AU (just letting you know it was last)

ORBX LC

FSX Default

ORBX Vector

XXXX Base

ORBX Vector _AEC

Default Scenery

Default Terrain

FWIW, As a last resort, I deactivated ALL of my 3rd party scenery and still get the issue.

Hello,

It's what Holger says it is.

Somewhere, probably in the scenery\world\scenery folder there is

an airport elevation adjustment file which is causing this anomaly.

There could be another airport version but either way, if the installation

was default plus FTX and nothing else, the anomaly would not be there.

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Yep, grasping at straws here!  I'm wondering what your Mesh Resolution setting is, and whether that makes any difference.  I believe it's supposed to be set at 5m.

Stewart,

My Mesh Res was set at 1.  I tried 3, 5, 10 and 19 with no luck.  I'll keep trying anything.

Hi guys,

within the area of the perimeter fence (typically covered by a grassy polygon), terrain mesh files and mesh slider settings don't generally come into play. That's because airports have flatten files that override the local terrain mesh. As mentioned before, the issue here is a mismatch between differing/incompatible flattens.

Another way to look at it: the mesh resolution slider determines the horizontal spacing of mesh grid points. Looking at the Mike's screenshot the "trenches" and plateaus are dozens of meters wide, thus a change from 1-m spacing to 5-m or even 10-m spacing couldn't possibly make any difference, even if the mesh file was involved.

If the list of files is as in my screenshot below, and the FTX NCA and Vector blocks are in their correct place (as appears to be the case for Mike), then the airport will display correctly.

Cheers, Holger

FTX_NCA_O17_file_list.jpg

Thanks, Holger.  The 5m adjustment was worth a try, but now I see why it would make no difference.  I'll take a closer look at my entries for O17 again, since I'm not having Mike's problem, even though at first glance, it looked like his were ok.

I notice that Mike doesn't register these two files: AEC_O17.inactive and ABP_O17.inactive.  I don't know if this matters.  Also, Mike, you have an old version of FTX NCA.  The newest one is version 1.30, dated May 2017.  Maybe that's the source of the problem??

Hello again.

Hello.

I made this screenshot earlier but omitted to post it.

It shows the files that Mike found and the files that I did.

The only difference between this and Holger's image is

that I have AEC still enabled.

Mike would appear to have Vector files missing.

My search also revealed ADE_FTX_NCA_O17_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Untitled.jpg

Depending on your search criteria, you may need to reinstall Vector.

Try searching just for O17, if that doesn't reveal them, try:

Create a Vector profile and save it.

Set all your options to enabled and all AEC options to enabled.

Delete ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_GLOBAL_VECTOR_PACK.txt.

Run FTX Central, Vector will show as not installed, select Install product.

This should allow FTX Central to replace any missing files.

Restore your Vector control panel settings using your saved profile.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Depending on your search criteria, you may need to reinstall Vector.

Try searching just for O17, if that doesn't reveal them, try:

Create a Vector profile and save it.

Set all your options to enabled and all AEC options to enabled.

Delete ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_GLOBAL_VECTOR_PACK.txt.

Run FTX Central, Vector will show as not installed, select Install product.

This should allow FTX Central to replace any missing files.

Restore your Vector control panel settings using your saved profile.

Nick,

Followed the steps up to restarting FTX Central.  Am I correct that "Vector will show as not installed" would be in the FTX Global Range?  If so, I show nothing listed as a VECTOR file.  See screen shot.

t.FTXC1.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Vector is in your account and should indeed show

underneath or next to FTX Global.

Perhaps for some reason you, or we, are not seeing the

whole of the FTX Central window.

Nick,

OK, after some more investigating, I indeed did NOT have Vector installed.  Not sure why it went  missing.  I went into my Account and was able to install it successfully and retry your previous suggestions.  Still no joy as the Big "Oles are still there.  Just for kicks, I uninstalled NA Northern California and will try a reinstall there.

While my earlier snapshot did show all of the pertinent files installed, I discovered another issue.  Not with ORBX, but with Win 7.  I don't have great vision, so I have to bump my screen display from the 100% option, up to 150%.  Doing this causes some third party display windows, that can't be resized, to have some data cut off.  Such is the case with the ORBX FTX Vector Control Window.where some text is not able to be displayed.  Knowing that, I will keep and eye out in the future.

Also, the reason I never knew the Global Vector files were not installed was because it is listed within the FSX Global Range box.  I don't check ORBX every day for updates and when I do, I just look for the "red" numbers that show up on the main page.  If nothing is there, I don't go to the lower level windows...hence I missed the fact that Global Vector wasn't there.  I'm on the lookout now though.

Thanks to all of you for your support and I hope that I can fix it.

To all those who generously offered their time and help on this issue.....IT"S FIXED !!!!  It was indeed something I did, although unknowingly.  The culprit was an addition of a 3rd party package that updated World Intersections and ILSs in FSX.  In doing so it seems to have modified some of the default airport bgl files.

I was looking at the ORBX airport file (ADE) for O17 and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  On a slim chance, I went looking for the default FSX ADE file and was surprised when ADE, although listing it, could not find it.  I dug into the directory folder for default FSX airport files and noticed some unusual entries.  The file names gave me a clue to look at the World Intersection install.  Fortunately, the WI software backed up the original files and had an "uninstall" option.  I ran it, then fired up FSX and O17 was back to it's normal display with NO holes.

Thanks for all your help guys.   Another reason I keep buying ORBX products.

35 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Good news, Mike.  Did you get around to installing the latest FTX NCA?  The version you had listed was pretty old.

Yes I did Stewart.  I checked all of my file versions against the list in the "versions" folder and they are all matched up.  Thanks.

Archived