What's happened to ORBX building project?

Drizzle

I just realized I haven't noticed any comments for a while about the updated buildings project I've been waiting on so keenly...  I went looking for threads about it -- especially in the Previews forum.  Am I missing something obvious??  I can't find a word!

I sure hope this project hasn't been canceled!  That held such promise -- and having been 'baited' by it, I can't help noticing now every time I fly how unpleasant so many of the buildings I see now are in comparison to the expectations that promised release has aroused...

58 minutes ago, john548 said:

I would think its being converted to 64bit...hopefully :)

Yes -- I'm hoping that, too!  But not finding ANY mention of it during my search just now gives me a fear that perhaps it's been quietly cancelled...  So I'm hoping I'm just a 'blind searcher' right now.  It sure wouldn't be the first time! ;) 

23 minutes ago, john548 said:

Have a look here...it seems to be still in the pipeline being worked on by Scott Armstrong. :D 

Thanks John -- good to see there's still a mention of it listed in one of the threads that's still around.  Though that discussion is more than a half-year old...

18 minutes ago, elmucki said:

keep in mind one thing, all the products that need to be converted to 64 bit for their many MANY MANY products. Have patience.

Yep -- I'm content to be patient elmucki.  It just worried me to find no mention of it during my search -- and even the most recent allusions to it in the post noted above are many months old.  It's not difficult to wonder if they've put it on the back burner forever...  Combing back through the "Previews" forum across more time than I had thought had transpired since it was announced without finding any mention of it was what started my worrying...

If it's merely pushed temporarily into the background while they bring other projects deemed more urgent up to snuff for V4, then I'm more than happy to work on growing my patience... ;)  I just don't want to have to accept the possibility that it just won't happen.

Presumably, like trees HD it's a texture update and shouldn't need to be updated to 64bit. I'm sure I read a post on it recently suggesting it had been practically shelved as he developed had other commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Buildings HD is not dead, it is still being worked on but the developer has a day job as a commercial pilot but has given me a commitment to see the project finished as soon as possible ok?

Perfect!  Thanks for the reassurance John! :D 

51 minutes ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

What?  

Does this put most developers in the same category as Farmers and Ranchers?

"A successful Farmer is one whose wife has a good job in town."

Dale 

Most of us anyway :)

22 hours ago, John Venema said:

Buildings HD is not dead, it is still being worked on but the developer has a day job as a commercial pilot but has given me a commitment to see the project finished as soon as possible ok?

Yeah, but we wannit now!

Er...What is it?

Iirc correctly this project will just replace the textures in the generic buildings, and won't do anything for the fsx default "special" poi's or their location.  Fixing that particular problem, which is as old as accurate vector data has been available in any fs version, is extremely difficult, and sometimes causes as many problems as it solves.  Back in fs2004 we had this: http://www.qlrp4ut.com/  which solved the position of default objects for ultimate terrain areas north america and europe.  Trying to do this for the rest of the globe would be tempting insanity. (And fsx data for this in na and europe is a lot better than it was in 2004). As I understand it, and I'm not a dev, none of these objects are named logically within the default bgl's, so it is somewhat of a needle in haystack game to find the right object and move it without diaturbing the rest.  The best solution would be if someone develops a city scenery for that area which excludes the default, and adds all their own objects.

Archived