747-400 in route to LAX

JWxTreme

I can finally say I successfully flew and landed the PMDG 747-400 QOTS II. It took me a few tries to get the approach and landing, but what a joy it was fo finally see the green "Landing 3" appear on my PFD screen.  Here I'm flying over Southern California at 33,000 feet,  scenery courtesy of Orbx,  toward LAX. I love the attention to detail that went into the PMDG 747-400 QOTS II.

PMDG747-2.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Beautiful!  I can't agree more, this is my all-time favorite aircraft.  Glad you got the green LAND3, it's always a thrill to see it after setting everything up correctly.  And LA looks great from that altitude.

Now that I think of it, I'm probably a bit lower in altitude than 33,000 feet. This is before reaching L.A. area (I flew from San Francisco). I do love the PMDG 747-400. To be honest it took me about 8 attempts before I could get a successful landing with LAND 3. I wasn't making the correct speed adjustments with flaps, and I had problems with the STARS approach.  

It is also peace of mind knowing I won't get the dreaded OOMs with P3D v4, especially over Southern California.

4 minutes ago, JWxTreme said:

Now that I think of it, I'm probably a bit lower in altitude than 33,000 feet. This is before reaching L.A. area (I flew from San Francisco). I do love the PMDG 747-400. To be honest it took me about 8 attempts before I could get a successful landing with LAND 3. I wasn't making the correct speed adjustments with flaps, and I had problems with the STARS approach.  

It is also peace of mind knowing I won't get the dreaded OOMs with P3D v4, especially over Southern California.

Same here, I'm still learning. That's why they call it a "study level" plane.

And yeah, over LA in version 3 with all Orbx always sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an OOM.  Not anymore.  Now I can't wait to fly with all my Orbx stuff in LA and all those other "difficult" areas without worrying about OOM's.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Same here, I'm still learning. That's why they call it a "study level" plane.

And yeah, over LA in version 3 with all Orbx always sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an OOM.  Not anymore.  Now I can't wait to fly with all my Orbx stuff in LA and all those other "difficult" areas without worrying about OOM's.

By the way, I just purchased the new PTA 2.5.1 from Sim Tweak. I will have fun setting up the shaders now. :)

16 hours ago, Torchy821 said:

Jack, you are seriously tempting me with the PMDG 747 - but I am still, after 3 years owning it, trying to master their 777!

Kev

I find that YouTube tutorial videos are your best friend in learning to fly these aircraft. I take notes from them and then break it down in step until I have mastered each step.  I will start out with just the cockpit preparation first. Then I move on to programming the FMC.  Once I have that down then I move to push back and taxi, then move to takeoff and climb, then move to cruise and descent, and finally concentrate on the approach and landing which is the most challenging.  I do shorter flights so I can move through each step more quickly, and work on those problem areas quickly and not spend a lot of time flying at cruise level.

Archived