Florida-Georgia Line(s)

This is the St. Johns River, just West of Mayport FL.

mayport1.jpg

The problem here continues all the way up River to Jacksonville downtown area, and perhaps even further, not sure.  It is an extensive network of issues.

mayport2.jpg

This problem is not a small localized issue, it is clearly systemic - whatever data or whatever process you were using for this part of the world is clearly flawed

FL-GA_GoogleEarth.png

I'd like to hear something from ORBX.  Is this going to be addressed at some point?

Hello,

I have search our forums and found this from 2016

and this from today

and now I have searched for the location of your screen shots.

Assuming that I have guessed right, it appears that I am not seeing what you do.

2017-6-15_22-16-31-847.jpg

Untitled.jpg

If you would like me to check again, please include the screen shot coordinates so that I can replicate the exact shot.

Otherwise, you might care to review your installation of Vector and any other addons you might have for the area.

OK now this is interesting.  

My FSX SE setup is a pretty clean install, hardly anything on there outside of just ORBX and one or two other addon aircraft.  I am using FS Global Mesh 2010, but I hardly imagine that would be the cause.  But just to rule it out, Nick, is that the mesh you are using?

Nah my FTX C3 just went on the fritz so I am doing a full ORBX reinstall on FSX SE.  As I said, there wasn't much else installed there anyway.  

Just flushed the scenery.cfg and restarted at Mayport -- no river issues present.  So now to start adding back in the ORBX content.

And the lines are back.  No mesh installed.

Nick, I have no question this is a Vector issue.  I am really curious how it is that you are not getting these same lines on your setup.

Well there has to be something different.  It isn't any other scenery, I can tell you that.  And until I re-installed Vector, this problem wasn't there.

Could it be mesh settings, like display sliders, LOD radius, that kind of thing?

Nick I gotta run to the store, and my FTX is busy reinstalling FTX regions, so I'll try to respond a bit later, if you are still up and at it.

Perhaps we could compare Vector config settings?

Nick, I am sorry my friend, but my settings match that which are recommended in the manual.  I'm not insane, this is Vector that is causing these seams.  I guess I will have to totally uninstall FSX SE and start again fresh to prove it.

FTX Vector is the cause of the problem.  I removed everything to do the fresh clean install Short of Vector, and no problem.  Next I installed Vector, and boom there are those "Centerlines" again.   It's not just a matter of having a visual discrepancy that looks like ass, no boat or ship traffic are able to use those channels, because those lines are represented as hard solid terrain.  

-Woog

Bingo.  That was it.  Good call Holger -- simply uncheck the "small rivers and streams" feature in Vector's control panel (tab Water Features).

Interesting thing is that is rather hard to see the difference between the two settings.

Of course, what if I actually DO want to see small rivers and streams elsewhere in my virtual world?  Perhaps the Eastern Seaboard in the US could get a make-over?

I must say that the area still doesn't look quite like the real thing.

You will know best I expect but where there are rivers, streams, swamps?

large areas that are water at high tide and mud at low tide, rivers, rivulets

at low tide and so on, I don't think the simulator can cope.

Even the maps are struggling in places.

Untitled.jpg

Nick, so what is it that you are saying with this last post?  You are suggesting that I need to lower my expectations?  Or are you saying that the 'streams and rivers' setting is just not adding anything anyway in this area, because it is simply not capable of doing so?

You may be right on the latter point, if I have understood your point at all.  Let me say this -- it looks fine, just like it is, in my opinion.  And to be honest, unticking the 'streams and rivers' thing doesn't really take away much from the area, at least in THIS area.  We have to remember that this is land-class based technology and not photo-real.  We aren't going to be able to fly over our house and spot every alligator in the swamps below.  I get that.

But Nick, you have a product that places HUGE LINES down major rivers, in several US states.  We're not talking about tidal areas here, we are talking about major rivers.  It interferes with AI shipping.  It looks like hell, and it really does not reflect well on your product -- which is sad because it really shines elsewhere.

Thankfully now we know to uncheck this option, so it is really now just a matter of a minor inconvenience for us, having to remember to dumb down our Vector settings when we fly this is (rather large) area.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of this, I will admit.  But it can be fixed with a little desire.

Hello,

I am only here because of this

I'd like to hear something from ORBX.  Is this going to be addressed at some point?

I think it has now been addressed.

The product is Pilot's, marketed though Orbx, not that that makes any difference, except that

this will have to be referred back to them for action to be taken.

I think we have covered the subject of the lines already.

To repeat myself, perhaps in a little more detail, If you are honest, does this

Untitled.jpg

really do justice to this?

Untitled.jpg

It clearly is an ecologically complex area and to repeat myself again, even in the satellite image, you

can see that there are variables that have had to be retouched.

I thought I had quite clearly only said that it is possible that there are not enough variables in the

simulator to allow for the variations in the terrain that can be seen in the satellite photograph,

not to mention even more variations at low and high tide which a simulator cannot simulate at all.

This is not to imply any criticism of either Vector or Open LC but that it is simply a limitation of the simulator.

I suspect that the data used, as you said, has produced the stream lines in the middle of rivers and

if I was asked to guess, it would be that at certain times, they fall into the category of small rivers.

At other times, large rivers and this is why both are displayed together.

it has been an interesting exercise and thanks to Holger for guiding us back to the correct path.

Your topic is in the Vector support forum, so I expect that in due course it will be indeed referred back to

the developers for improvement if such a thing is possible.

Ah, I understand now what you were trying to say before.  Sorry for the long tying exercise.

If you could pass this along, it would be great.  Thanks again for your attention to this, Nick.

Hello Richard,  you may have done this already but I did not see any mention of it in the above posts. I think its worth checking that vector scenery entries are listed in the correct order and placed in the correct parts of the scenery library.

I have found a few times in fresh installs of VECTOR that the VECTOR folder can get messed up in the scenery library. The folders will be in your scenery library but they may be in the wrong place or order.

They should be as follows.

There are five entries go below Africa and above the BASE entries

1 ORBX!VECTOR OBJ

2 ORBX!VECTOR fixedAPT

3 ORBX!VECTOR APT

4 ORBX!VECTOR CVX

5 ORBX!VECTOR EXX

the 6th VECTOR folder goes under the 0000 BASE and above DEFAULT SCENERY

its called ORBX!VECTOR AEC

Hope it helps, I will check to see what I am getting in P3d V3. P3d V4 vectors is not compatible at the moment.

Seb

Archived