V4 - Supermaxxed out - my first OOM!

andy1252

I'd been looking around to see where the TEXTURE parm I vaguely remembered seeing in the original announcements on here should go, and coincidentally spotted JV's post about that and PTA. Haven't tried the PTA yet (I'd been investigating ReShade as an option), but thought I'd try the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and see what happened.

It's very impressive! These are all 4k, so you need to blow them up to get the detail, but the clarity and distance is stunning. All sliders maxed - including all the traffic even (there are never this many boats off the coast around here in RL!). A few shots out of Exeter around dawn -

rGzbw61.jpg

2qukxhx.jpg

I45waOk.jpg

And this is what it's costing!

8Um4lpi.jpg

Don't even ask about frame rate. No idea as I wasn't monitoring, but it was a very juddery performance. The whole screen would freeze and jiggle occasionally while it redrew. But, boy, does it look stunning. And we ain't done yet. This is without any shader mods (I prefer a bit more vivid in some of the colours myself), no Active Sky, no Vector, no REX, and no airports.

c8iwl13.jpg

00Rq4xk.jpg

jhuqeXa.jpg

AvdUeP9.jpg

REsRuPP.jpg

QGB7GD0.jpg

Around this point, I paused the sim, came out of full screen mode, minimised the window and went off to do real world stuff for a couple of hours. When I came back and tried to resume, I saw an old familiar face when I opened up the window -

RBEINTc.jpg

So I'm guessing I have / there is a memory leak somewhere, as although it was certainly using most of my memory I still had a few Gb left when I paused. Never mind - it's early days. By the time I do my next PC upgrade, possibly in a year or 18 months, I'll hopefully be clocking at somewhere up in the 5.5GHz, with maybe 64Gb real memory and maybe 2 x GTX2040-Ti or whatever in SLI mode with 24gb VRAM.

For now though, I'll take that texture size parm out of my system except for when I want to grab some real eye-candy shots as all the ORBX stuff gradually comes back into play.

Amazing shots...Lol now we will soon see threads on users running out of RAM and VRAM.  The thirst for memory continues even in 64bit.

In about 1.5 years time (or less - say 6-7 months) - 32GB Ram kits will be cheap and successor video cards of 1080 will be out and then these settings will be very useful. Glad the software can scale to near future hardware.

54 minutes ago, Airwolf said:

In about 1.5 years time (or less - say 6-7 months) - 32GB Ram kits will be cheap and successor video cards of 1080 will be out and then these settings will be very useful.

+1

Maybe Andy, you don't max out all the sliders yet. You know what, since v4 is out I never had OOMs again in my 3.4 with the same settings that I had before, which gave me OOMs on a regular basis. Me thinks both my PC and P3D 3.4 are afraid to be upgraded, so "they" give me now out of a sudden stellar performance. Is there human behavior in a PC at last? Does HAL ring a bell !! ;)

I'm astonished.  I read somewhere, don't know if it's true that V4 can access 1000 Exabytes.  Now that's a lot of memory but I doubt Windows itself could even see it could it?

The first OOM, I can't believe it, so it can happen.  I wonder how long it'll be before I OOM in my new PMDG 747 I've ben waiting f0r years to fly.

Andy, surely you must think this is related to changing that setting?

Just now, Mikelab6 said:

Don't worry Jack, he run out of PHYSICAL (RAM) memory not VAS...  IF you don't have enough PHYSICAL memory, you could get an OOM too.

Mike

Thanks Mike but dang, I only have 8GB of RAM.  Man, I can't wait for this September.

But I also read somewhere that if you started running out of physical RAM is would page file to the SSD?

Maybe I was mistaken.

Jack, you're not mistaken. But some people either have a tiny swap disk allocated or for some reason disable the swap disk altogether. If one has the swap disk set to "system managed" it is not possible to OOM unless the disk free space is too low. Once the system starts using the swap disk, performance declines precipitously, so it's disinctinctly possible that LM prevents swapping. I have no idea why they would do that, though.

Hi, i did not get OOM, but my CPU was smoking hot. I use project Lasso to monitor. With all sliders to the right it runs on nearly 100 % all the time. But beautiful scnery....

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Jack, you're not mistaken. But some people either have a tiny swap disk allocated or for some reason disable the swap disk altogether. If one has the swap disk set to "system managed" it is not possible to OOM unless the disk free space is too low. Once the system starts using the swap disk, performance declines precipitously, so it's disinctinctly possible that LM prevents swapping. I have no idea why they would do that, though.

I would have no idea where to even look at the swap disk size, I just read that it does this, or could do this.

If LM prevents swapping do you think that's why he ran out of RAM space?

Impressive shots

Jack in windows 10,

go to search box on tool bar, type System information

press enter

the size and location of your swap file is shown

as:

Page File Space

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

it can be moved to another disk if your C: drive is running out of space, see

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/

Thanks for looking, folks.

A couple of things in answer to some of the dialogs above. First thing is this was primarily about the TEXTURE_SIZE setting and it's effects. And yep, it eats up memory and everything else. Looks absolutely fantastic though, and I personally shall consider it an occasional treat to use when I really want to play in a big open vista environment and grab some great shots as keepsakes. On my machine, which is reasonably well specced, it's un-flyable though. But that's nothing that another generation or two of hardware and a pile of dosh won't cure.

As to the OOM - yes, it was a physical memory crash. But I think it was down to some kind of memory leak as I should have had at least a couple of Gb available. I did when I paused the sim, and it crashed immediately on restarting a couple of hours later. And no, I don't use a swap file. I shouldn't need one in normal use with 16gb of real, and if it fills that up and starts paging it's going to be so slow it might as well crash anyway.

It's a great new addition (the TEXTURE parm) and it will be another transformation once I've gotten a machine that can handle it (it's made worse by the fact that I'm running 4k of course) but even without it the new version is great, and will be even more so once all the little bits and pieces of add-on stuff arrive across.

54 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

But that's nothing that another generation or two of hardware and a pile of dosh won't cure.

Yeah :D ... I think its good we have some somewhere to go as hardware develops with LM adding these parameters for extending the visuals... it helps to future proof the sim somewhat. I look forward to upgrading at some point and being able to take advantage of some of it; not that the default EXP size looks bad, but its always good to have more ^_^

5 hours ago, Taph said:

Impressive shots

Jack in windows 10,

go to search box on tool bar, type System information

press enter

the size and location of your swap file is shown

as:

Page File Space

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

it can be moved to another disk if your C: drive is running out of space, see

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/

Hi Taph, I'm on Windows 7, could these instructions be the same?

I would have no idea where to even look at the swap disk size, I just read that it does this, or could do this.

If LM prevents swapping do you think that's why he ran out of RAM space?

I wouldn't worry about it. The setting defaults to your OS drive (C:) and to "system managed". It's an easy Google search to find the details if you really want to tinker around with the swap disk.

As to the OOM, Rob Ainscough who is on the LM beta team, claims that the error message is caused by the video card not having enough VRAM. That doesn't make any sense to me either as if the system maxes out the video card's VRAM, it supposedly starts using motherboard RAM instead. But who knows what LM really did with V4. I sure don't.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I wouldn't worry about it. The setting defaults to your OS drive (C:) and to "system managed". It's an easy Google search to find the details if you really want to tinker around with the swap disk.

As to the OOM, Rob Ainscough who is on the LM beta team, claims that the error message is caused by the video card not having enough VRAM. That doesn't make any sense to me either as if the system maxes out the video card's VRAM, it supposedly starts using motherboard RAM instead. But who knows what LM really did with V4. I sure don't.

Just had a look, mine is 3072, ain't gonna touch it.  Thanks,

Rob A. just expanded his comments on the supposed OOM error message, which is consistent with what I told you previously:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511709-i-managed-to-oom-v4/?do=findComment&comment=3638151

The only way that one could get that OOM message in P3d V4 is via "pilot error", for example, having too small a swap disk.

Archived