Major Win 10 Update deleted all my custom key and button assignments

wolfko

Had a major Win 10 update by MS today and after restarting the sim all my custom key and Saitek button assignments within P3dv3 were back to default. That's the 3rd time I experienced this after a Win 10 update! I have no idea how this correlates but it sure is very annoying! 

You can always get backup software (I use the free version of Crashplan) and back up your config files (or anything else) to a internal/external hard drive, network share or the cloud with version history.   Comes in very handy when you make a mistake updating a config file and you want to go back.

Cheers,

Matt.

lol that's what you get for having win10.  I fought it for a year and finally went back to win7 which is the best OS Microsoft ever made.  Some of you will disagree in this forum but in your heart you know I'm right.

Windows 10 has been a very smooth system for me

I was forced to use it for the M.2 SSD I opted for when I got my new computer the beginning of last year

I just turned off all the surveillance options with W10privacy

In any case its the only Windows version that is being developed

Hi Wolfko.  Check that your Restore Points are still there, and that the configuration is the same . Mine was all cocked up .  I hung onto Win07 until the last possible moment but I have not had any operational problems with Win10 .

Also the reason why I recently switched to Windows 10 LTSB. All the pros of Windows 10, with no or few of its cons. Don't even have to worry about them pushing their junk features automatically into my OS.

8 hours ago, Geezer said:

I had personal experience with windows 10 for a year and had nothing but problems.  I've been a computer user since the dos days and win10 is terrible.

IT Professional's definition of a "Computer User":  "Why I have a guaranteed job that pays so well."

It Professional's definition of a "Computer User" with "Personal Experience" using a new Operating System they haven't learned how to properly use yet:  "Why I have a guaranteed job that will CONTINUE to pay so well."

:D

10 hours ago, Geezer said:

lol that's what you get for having win10.  I fought it for a year and finally went back to win7 which is the best OS Microsoft ever made.  Some of you will disagree in this forum but in your heart you know I'm right.

You are most definately wrong. 

Why do you think so many people fell victim to that trojan attack a few weeks ago? Because they ignore the fact that older Windows versions no longer get security updates.

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

IT Professional's definition of a "Computer User":  "Why I have a guaranteed job that pays so well."

It Professional's definition of a "Computer User" with "Personal Experience" using a new Operating System they haven't learned how to properly use yet:  "Why I have a guaranteed job that will CONTINUE to pay so well."

:D

Most computer users don't care what IT people think.  They just want to use their computer without hassles.  Win10 is the exact opposite of that.  

29 minutes ago, KVSandleben said:

You are most definately wrong. 

Why do you think so many people fell victim to that trojan attack a few weeks ago? Because they ignore the fact that older Windows versions no longer get security updates.

Last time I heard, there are anti-malware products available.  Some are even free.  If someone doesn't use one, he/she is at risk.  People just want to use their computers without hassles like losing information just because their OS was updated.  I had constant hassles using win10.  With win7, I don't.  Using win7 keeps my blood pressure down.

Also, Windows 7 & 8.1 both still get security updates, and will do for several more years - they're no less safe as long as they're kept up to date. (2020, and 2023 respectively by the way.)  Additionally, Windows 10 was not immune to said malware - a patch had to be pushed out for it just the same as it was for 7/8.1

There's no reason for people to be chastised for refusing to switch before those dates, especially not if their current choice of OS meets their needs adequately. If 10 works for you great! But be aware that other people might not share that same experience, or might run software that you don't that excludes 10 as a (currently) viable choice for them. Diff'rent strokes and all that. ;)

3 hours ago, MarkDF said:

Also, Windows 7 & 8.1 both still get security updates, and will do for several more years - they're no less safe as long as they're kept up to date. (2020, and 2023 respectively by the way.)  Additionally, Windows 10 was not immune to said malware - a patch had to be pushed out for it just the same as it was for 7/8.1

There's no reason for people to be chastised for refusing to switch before those dates, especially not if their current choice of OS meets their needs adequately. If 10 works for you great! But be aware that other people might not share that same experience, or might run software that you don't that excludes 10 as a (currently) viable choice for them. Diff'rent strokes and all that. ;)

This is level headed advice. 

Archived