A Day at Cessnock

Patrick Scharnowski

Actually, I specifically asked Patrick to make it for Orbx for the website. When we were planning it we both had the same idea about the car driving to the airport etc.

But .. WOW!!! Patrick has well and truly blown me away with the end result - outstanding!  And yes, it will be on the new website indeed :)

Thanks again! I managed to upload a different version with an alternative soundtrack (Respect the Wind by Van Halen) to Youtube. It has quite a different feel to it. Here it is if you wanna watch it:

By the way, can someone tell me where I can find a car to drive around in FTX?

I found the one I used in the video here. Just browse through the section: http://www.simviation.com/fsxmisc1.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very good, a joy to watch.

What does one need to create this style of video?

I have FRAPS but what do you use to capture the different smooth angles in the flightsim and what do you use to edit it all ?

The camera angles and smooth motion is great.

I would love to try ..      but have no idea where to begin.

I have...

FSX

FTX

FRAPS

... for the the camera angles and editing I need what?    :)

thanks

Mark

Thanks guys!

What does one need to create this style of video?

For the editing I used Sony Vegas 7. A very easy to use and yet powerful tool to create videos.

For the camera angles I used a little freeware program called "EZdok Walk 1.22".  You can get it here: http://www.arccpro.narod.ru/index_page20.htm

All you need now is some ideas and a little patience. ;)

Hat's off to you.. a remarkable video, I enjoyed it a lot.. out of Interest how much time goes into producing one of these?

I didn't really keep track of the time that it took to create this video but I made it over several days, a few hours each day. If I'd have to give a rough estimate I'd say 10-15 hours. Steps required to make this video were:

- Driving/Flying the scenes that I wanted with FSRecorder

- Finding angles with EZdok Walk that I liked and rehearsing the camera moves

- recording the camera moves with Fraps while playing back the recorded flight/drive. I often needed a few takes until everything looked the way I wanted it.

- Compositing the video clips in the editing program, trimming the video segments for the right pace, addinng transitions, doing reshoots when something didn't add up the way I liked it

- Creating an audio track by using sounds from the sim that I recorded separately and by using freely available sound effects like the car sounds. (I record the video clips without sound)

- Post processing of the video by adjusting the colours/brightness/contrast settings and adding virtual camera moves where necessary.

The music is either added after completing the video or directly at the beginning of the editing process, depending wether I just need some background music or if I base the whole video's pace on the underlying music.

• 1 month later...

Great composition, especially the last third with those fantastic aerobatics. Makes me want to try out by myself. I admire your pace of creating such an entertaining clip. It would have taken me several weeks to finish something along those lines. Btw, we are almost neighbours, and last year I visited the airshow at EDLE.

Gruß, Andreas

• 4 years later...

Archived