The "Addon Scenery" folder in P3D

Some 3rd party addons create & install themselves into an Addon Scenery folder. I normally place my 3rd party addons outside of this folder as individual addons. By that I mean if an addon installs itself into Addon Scenery, I remove it and place it by it's name as an individual addon in the library and not leave it in the Addon Scenery folder.

What I find interesting is that the Addon Scenery folder is to be placed as per Doug's suggestion in this post link

This folder could hold for example an airport scenery which in theory should be posted above FTX and OLC. My question therefore is if a scenery installs itself into Addon Scenery, and this folder is below FTX and OLC would it not cause some issues potentially. I don't believe that P3D actually has a default Addon Scenery folder like FSX has but is only created via a 3rd Party addon on occasions. I coul dbe wrong, but i don't recall seeing a default Addon Scenery folder in the initial install of P3D. It was only noticed after a 3rd party installation addon created the folder.

Yes,

If there is an "addon scenery" folder" and it does contain other airport data then it should be above the FTX entries.

It is my personal preference not to let other third party scenery install itself until I have seen where it is to be placed.

The quality of the installers is variable, some are even written for FS9.

I install to an empty folder first and then either run the installer again and point it to my FSX folder or, much more likely,

manually place the files where I want them to be.

Each to their own of course and all my FTX files are exactly where our installers put them.

Thanks Nick. I have had a couple of experiences where the installer is able to point to P3D directory but then creates this Addon Scenery folder when it does the installation, hence my query. Other times it will not allow an install to an empty folder ( cannot find P3D in the empty folder and aborts). Either way, I like you, remove them from the addon folder and place where i want them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi JJaycee1

I have just done a new PC, OS build and don't have P3D installed at the moment, just FSXSE. My FSXSE did install an Addon Scenery folder, just the same as P3D tho,  I remove it from the scenery library but I leave it in the root folder, my Fly Tampa stuff likes to install there, then I use Scenery Config Editor to generate it from that location in the root folder and place it at the top of my scenery library. I do the same for my P3D.

Cheers

Archived