World's First Ship Tunnel in Norway

It's happening world-wide.

I remember taking my wife to Vietnam a few years ago. We were staying in Hoi An and hired a driver for the day in a beautiful luxury 4x to head up to Hue and the Ancient Temple.

On the way there, we travelled via highway 1a and passed so much beautiful scenery including China Beach, where the famous TV series was shot.

We spent the whole day looking through Hue and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have some beautiful photo's video's and memories of those days.

On the way home, we had learned enough English/Vietnamese to agree with the driver to take an alternate route, through the mountain.

It was a tunnel, of which we were familiar in Brisbane over the past few years. The thing was so professionally made, so well surfaced and maintained, it blew me away. There were paddy fields 5 km's up the road that hadn't seen change since the dark ages.

In the end we saved twenty minutes off our journey and I enjoyed it, but I sure would have felt cheated having gone there both ways in the tunnel.

Sometimes the scenic route is better, but for safety sake, we will see practicality win out a fair majority of the time,

Frank

That is so interesting but it will be 12 years before it is finished, bloody hell if I am still around I will be 75 then.:o

Only NZ$460m, not a lot for what they are planning to do, just hope it does not blow out in price like most projects seem to.

What an ambitious idea and much safer than going the long way round.

Cummon ORBX lets have this modelled now in the next NOR SP so we see who can fly the biggest plane or helicopter through it:lol:. In fact there are those who like to sail their ships in ORBX World.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That is so interesting but it will be 12 years before it is finished, bloody hell if I am still around I will be 75 then.:o

Only NZ$460m, not a lot for what they are planning to do, just hope it does not blow out in price like most projects seem to.

What an ambitious idea and much safer than going the long way round.

Cummon ORBX lets have this modelled now in the next NOR SP so we see who can fly the biggest plane or helicopter through it:lol:. In fact there are those who like to sail their ships in ORBX World.

+1 - I hope Jack S. does not see this post . :o:rolleyes::lol:

John

1 hour ago, BradB said:

+1 - I hope Jack S. does not see this post . :o:rolleyes::lol:

John

He would really have to bend the wings on his 744 wouldn't he:huh::lol:

57 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes it would be awesome to fly through it if it was modeled into the sim, 36 meters wide is plenty of room to spare for most GA aircraft

We will have to start up a petition, would be a great feature for the not so serious of those amongst us:D

20 minutes ago, Perk said:

Whittier Alaska is kind of unique.  Most of the residents live in one big building.  

My sister lives in Girdwood AK , so I have been thru this tunnel many times . You always look forward to the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel .

John

Archived