Vector and SIMstarter

I have become a fan of SIMstarter. It is superb at only loading scenery that I'm going to use. I also religiously run AEC whenever I add/remove scenery. So far so good. As you probably know SIMstarter makes a new scenery.cfg for each profile. Now to my question...

Should I run AEC every time I change profiles? I have run AEC after first loading the 'Full Monty' scenery.cfg and left it at that. Then loaded the required profile, but a little voice tells me that something could be amiss with that procedure. Just to be clear, I've not seen any elevation anomalies...yet. :)

Thoughts?

Hello Ron,

I think what you're doing is just right.

The AEC function changes the Vector file structure to suit what you have installed.

I doubt if SimStarter touches these but rather just selects the scenery that you tell it to?

If that is the case, the files for whatever is in the profile should already be in order

and you should see no anomalies.

Here's what I decided to do: I made one SimStarter Profile where all Scenery is active, including Addon Mesh (Pilot's NG), all ORBX, all addon airports etc. When I feel I should rerun the Vector tool I activate this profile in SimStarter (whithout starting the Simulator, which can by done by selecting "Do nothing" in SimStarter). Next I run the AEC tool to correct aiport elevations where required.

For actual flying I have specific profiles like Oceania etc. where all scenery outside Oceania is off. However, all Vector AEC corrections required for Oceania being saved under ORBX!VECTOR_AEC should be there as I leave this active.

I wouldn't claim this to be the proper canonical procedure, but it's been working for me so far.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree with Nick.  Once you have run your AEC, you need not run it again until you add a new airport, and even then, run it manually for only the newly installed airport.  SimStarter, as far as I know, doesn't mess with any AEC corrections, as Michael has noted. 

Furthermore, if I'm flying within a full region such as NCA, PNW, etc., my profile for those full fat regions has the Vector entries disabled, since those regions have their own Vector stuff.  Flying outside the full regions, however, such as much of the Continental US and Canada, those Vector entries are enabled in those particular profiles.  If I fly from a full fat region into a non-full region/area, such as from Las Vegas to Denver, I enable both profiles, SCA and Continental US in this case.  I have seen no airport anomalies so far using this method.  I see no reason to activate a "full scenery profile" and run the AEC tool as Michael has suggested merely to run the tool for one or two new airports.  Manually run the tool for them should be sufficient, I would think, since the data is there in ORBX!VECTOR_AEC once the tool has been run.  And, I would add, if one runs the AEC tool on "automatic", all previous manual changes will be negated.

Just stepping out of the sun and catching up on some simple stuff it sounds like to me that I should try SIMSTARTER when I return from my snowbirding in San Diego.

Where do I find SIMSTARTER? 

Archived