A training ground for flying in Papua New Guinea

dominique

I like very much flying both in OrbX PNG and CRM Idaho, always felt that it was the same kind of flying with different landscapes. You add jungle to Idaho and you have PNG or add dry rocks and snow to PNG and you have Idaho. A bit simplistic but you get what I mean.

I had an interesting exchange today on Twitter with Daniel Geaslen, a West Papua MAF pilot, MAF trains its pilot in Idaho sending them to Indonesia :) !

You do the same approach strategy to land on these rough strips East of McCall ID and the PNG strips in Tim & Ken sceneries. But I was surprised when Daniel Geaslen said yesterday that he has been trained in Idaho by his employer.

Daniel Geaslen is an interesting person to follow on Twitter. He publishes animated .gif  of landing and taking off,  tells about his workdays. He flies a Kodiak. There was another guy working for Susi Air, Matt Dearden, but he left PNG to work in the UK now. 

The STOL Kodiak Quest is manufactured in Idaho. Kodiak pilot training, including training for the many missionary pilots taking their Quests into the third-world strips of the world, is done out of Felts Field in Spokane, Washington. Their training flights include many heart-stoppers in northern and central Idaho. A commercially made Kodiak Quest is available and is a wonderful plane to fly. ORBX has Felts Field in its full-fat airport inventory--including the Moody Missionary Training building and the great Felts café where you can get a fine hamburger and watch planes come and go. The ORBX CRM regional does an excellent job with the many (over 60) bush strips in Idaho. A Google of Idaho Bush airstrips will provide a list that will keep you busy for a year.

All in all, if you have the PNG package, the above-detailed WA/ID package, a Kodiak Quest and Piglet Conrad's freeware Pilatus Porter (it's as good as the commercial version), you have it about as good as it gets for back-country flying. Bon voyage!

Most people fly the strips along the Salmon River when simming in ID. which for the most part are pretty sparse for vegitation but great for tight approaches but there are a great deal of mountain strips surrounded by forest too.  I can certainly see why MAF would use ID. to train, cost effective to have trainees in ID. as opposed to transporting them to PNG.  Bush flying experience and similar to what the job in PNG entails.

Having flown into most of the strips along the Salmon it certainly sharpens reflexes (or else).  Did a fare share of elk hunting in the area which is SE of the very small town where I lived.  (Elk River, ID pop. 125)  Quest Aircraft is located in Sand Point, ID on the shore of Lake Pend d’Oreille in the far north panhandle of ID.

Thank you Rodger and Spud for enriching the thread. 

I use McCall, Challis or Salmon as a starting airport in Idaho, didnt think of Felts Field. Good to know. Watching these forums, you get sometimes the feeling that CRM is  OrbX forgotten child. it is one of my favorite sceneries ! I usually fly there the C182 (can't wait to fly the Milviz Beaver).

Spud, What kind of aircraft did you fly ?

Hey Spud

You gave me an idea for my flight of today. I flew from Elk River ID85 to, where else ?, Moose Creek 1U1, both represented in NRM. A nice flight. Taking off from ER to the South, towards the village, is not difficult if you are ready for a hard turn to the left (PULL UP, PULL UP !) and landing to the South in MR easy if you don't intend to do a Go Around :) but the strip is long enough for a 182 !

dominique,
I can remember 3 different crashes of A/C taking off to the south.  Normal OPS are land to the south and TO to the north at ID85.  To be honest one actually crashed off the the north side of the R/W due to a ground loop (J-3 owned by 'Slim Pickins') never got off the ground.

An interesting place to explore is east of Elk River on the Dworshak Reservoir.  The Dent Bridge across the far north end of the reservoir seems totally out of place for a 1550' suspension bridge in the middle of the wilderness with no town or villiage near it.  (Only a campground south of the bridge.)

Dent_bridge.jpg

This post is very interesting as I wondered where to fly, to find the airstrips, I love flying like this.  So google Earth is the best place to find the airfields, is there any other site where they can be found (placed on a map) or even a list of what is available in ID.

Regards,

JimNZ

3 hours ago, JimNZ said:

This post is very interesting as I wondered where to fly, to find the airstrips, I love flying like this.  So google Earth is the best place to find the airfields, is there any other site where they can be found (placed on a map) or even a list of what is available in ID.

Regards,

JimNZ

Hi Jim

These strips are not in the default set up, you need OrbX CRM (most of the strips) and NRM to have them in the sim (sorry if you already knew that). 

There is a .kml file coming with these two products. Opening them in Google Earth will give you all the locations. I set these .kml as a permanent fixture in my GE.

To find the strips, when flying in the sim, can be tricky (this is called navigation ;)) but you have a wonderful tool to help you if you have some money to spare, the Garmin GTN750 from Flight1. It is pricey but you can enter the long/lat coordinates of a strip you find in GE and make it a waypoint in your flight. You can have, I guess, about 1000 waypoints stored like that. Extremely convenient to fly the bush specially as it has a moving map with rivers, roads and relief as the real 750 has. Good situational awareness. 

Also, as an introduction to flying in Idaho, go and take a gander at https://idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripNetwork.php

I fly with DC-3 Airways VA and our recent Sunday Morning Multiplayer Flights have been in Idaho. Having a ball flying a DC-3 into some of these small fields. Of course we cant use the really small ones, but it is quite stunning to see a string of 10 or 12 DC-3's doing touch and gos in the wilderness. Most of us in the flights have all the Orbx stuff and really enjoy it. By yesterday we had made our way west into Washington. We use real time wx and yesterday it was pretty foggy in the morning. Here is yesterdays flight plan. Depart KSZT Sandpoint: T&G at KGEG Spokane: T&G at KMWH Grant County (Moses Lake): Full stop at KALW Walla Walla.

18 hours ago, spud said:

The Dent Bridge across the far north end of the reservoir seems totally out of place for a 1550' suspension bridge in the middle of the wilderness with no town or villiage near it.  (Only a campground south of the bridge.)

The bridge is there all right, in the sim.  One can almost see the bend of the road from where the pic was shot.

Hi Dominique.

Boy!, what have I let myself into, but I wouldn't have it any other way:) 

Your hyperlink direction is fantastic.  I put in Krassel and it went right in close to the airfield, excellent.  I would like to do what you have done and that's put in those .kml files showing the fields in GE.  I recall some years ago doing this when Orbx or was it OZx hadn't been going very long if memory serves me right.

Dominique how do you do this.  I'd appreciate it if you could put in down in chronological order so I can easily follow your directions.  I'm afraid my parents didn't buy me a meccano set when I was young, so are pretty slow at solving problems.:rolleyes:

Regards,

JimNZ

Hey Jim

Be sure you have Google Earth installed. Not necessary to open it at that stage.

Go to ...:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\User Documents (contrary to common wisdom, I installed P3D there, works like a charm for me but if P3D has its own root folder in your install, go there) 

You should have a file named FTX CRM Coverage and Features Map.kmz (or equivalent for NRM etc.)

Just click on it.  That will open GE and show all the scenery features overlaid on the map.

When you close GE, it will ask whether you want to save the overlay. Your choice.

Tell us whether that works. 

Archived