Ongoing elevation problems since FTX3

Hi

I am having an ongoing issue with elevations. As I am running the OOM-prone P3D 2.5, I tend to fly my sim by only loading up the relevant sceneries that I want to fly to. This generally works ok for a planned flight.

However if I want to just hop from one to the other, or have no particular plan, then I used to just select the sceneries in-flight and they would be ok when I got there. However, since installing FTX3, P3D needs a reboot for the elevations to be correct if I do this, no matter what I have done or do with Vector Airport Elevation Corrections, and whether VECTOR is even running.

To complicate matters, I am running combinations of regions, OpenLC, BASE, and Vector, depending on the area I am in and coverage overlap. I was just flying from KSTS to KSFO, and decided to change to KPSP. I selected KPSP in the scenery library, and had NCA and SCA running too. When I got to KPSP, half the runway was buried under terrain anomalies, which is the norm now for my airports. I dont want to run with everything I own in the library list because it just obliterates my VAS. Please help!

Cheers

43 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Are you aware that you can save different profiles in Vector?

Hello :)

Do you mean in respect to managing VAS? I am happy with the VECTOR settings mostly, and in fact tend to use regions way more than anything - I turn VECTOR off when using regions. The problem is really having a LOT of ORBX airports and regions installed. I manage the VAS they consume by deactivating them and I don't think the profiles can help with that can they?

Cheers

If you are deactivating certain regions and airports with your scenery library, then you need to run the AEC tool each time for that individual combination, so then you would need to save the specific profile for that individual combination to address the elevation issues each time.

55 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

If you are deactivating certain regions and airports with your scenery library, then you need to run the AEC tool each time for that individual combination, so then you would need to save the specific profile for that individual combination to address the elevation issues each time.

Wow really? Does everyone have to do this? It sounds like something that needs automating - how on earth can you make a profile for every combination of airports, especially if you have a lot? I cannot even start the sim with all my airports selected so thats not an option either. It only seems to have become an issue after FTX3 though. Do you run P3D 2.5 by any chance, and if so have you seen anything similar?

Thanks for your help

13 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

I use P3Dv3.4, and I don't need to do any of that, I have no VAS issues or elevation issues, and I have never encountered anyone yet that is doing things as complicated as you are. :) 

Its not at all complicated - if you think about it, all I am doing is unloading scenery I don't need in order to preserve VAS, a sensible practice many simmers use.

Everything else is an attempt to fix the elevation issues which did not exist before, otherwise I would be happily flying over Fall City in my Comanche right now :)

I will wait til Monday perhaps when Alex is around.

Cheers

It's worth mentioning that if you aren't using a third party mesh (aside from the ones built-in to OrbX regions) then just disable ALL Vector elevation corrections. They're only useful when using different meshes from the FSX/P3D default mesh.

Hi

To add a bit more weight, here are some shots at Swanson. In the shot with missing scenery I enabled the airport in sim and went straight there without a restart. The second is after the restart. There is no issue with AEC at all, it is simply that I am no longer able to add airports in the library on the fly. This is a problem for me because all my flights now have to be planned rather than just being able to hop around, something I like to do, especially as I own a large amount of your airports. As you can see, even profiles in AEC would not help, because I would still have to come out of the sim to select the new profile (not to mention that with over 100 airports, creating a profile for every single combination would run to thousands of profiles). Sometimes its missing scenery, sometimes its terrain mismatch.

I just want to be able to have airports work "on the fly" like they used to. Maybe its something my end, maybe its FTX, I dont know, I am just looking for some guidance, things to try. There was an issue with BGL's at KBHB that Alex helped me with that affected meshes, so I don't think its unfair to wonder if there is something similar here, maybe a file I need to copy across etc.

With some aircraft I can save and reboot, but not all of them save the aircraft state.

$200 for a new sim is not quite the fix I am looking for just yet, so if a dev could take a look at these I would be very grateful.

2017-1-10_17-37-39-80.png

2017-1-10_18-14-59-321.png

Do you think that the problem has perhaps more to do with P3D and the way you are using it

than the FTX products?

I have the entire catalogue and yet FSX will load eventually with them all active and so far,

I can go anywhere from anywhere else and see what the developers intended me to see.

I see what you are trying to achieve but I must wonder if it is actually the cause of your problem.

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Do you think that the problem has perhaps more to do with P3D than the FTX products?

I have the entire catalogue and yet FSX will load eventually with them all active and so far,

I can go anywhere from anywhere else and see what the developers intended me to see.

I see what you are trying to achieve but I must wonder if it is actually the cause of your problem.

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply :) The reason I do not think its P3D is because I used to be able to switch around OK, and now I cannot. Nothing has been changed in P3D. If its something in my files, do you have any thoughts as to where I might look, or settings that may cause it? As noted AEC is not the culprit or fix, where else might I look? 

Thanks

Archived