Runway Night Lighting YMML v3

smoothchat

Is there any way I can alter the runway lighting for the YMML V3 scenery.  The lights are too large on my triple screen system.  The version 2 lights didn't have this problem.

The FTXLights.exe doesn't seem to have any effect on them. Removing the Light bloom texture files has no effect either.

Capture.JPG

Thanks John. 

The YMML scenery appears to use it's own runway light textures, so the halo.bmp had no effect on them. 

The YMML night runway lighting seems to just be texture images. They are bitmaps and don't appear to be 3D.

I edited YMML_SFX_01_D.dds and YMML_SFX_02_D.dds in paint.net to make the lights smaller.  This improved the appearance when on the runway, but as soon as I put some distance between myself and the runway, I realised that the lights reduced in size (that is, they appeared tiny from a distance) and become far too dim. 

It appears that the YMML scenery does not use the native runway lighting of P3D (and I suspect FSX).  I believe that the native lighting is dynamic so that it looks bright close up and also bright from a distance.

If I am correct in my assumptions, I don't know how I can improve what I think are pretty awful runway lights.

Perhaps the developers of the YMML scenery can shed some light on the subject if they come across this post. I don't remember having the same issue in V2 of the scenery.

It's the center white lights in particular that I think need some improvement.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, the norm for developers today is to use custom made runway lights. The main halo.bmp has nothing to do with them.

Regarding editing the lights manually, it can be done, but you have to edit every single mipmap to make them appear bright at a distance.

Or you could try to use a texture from another scenery :)

Finn

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To my knowledge Rex textures only replace the default textures. YMML uses its own custom textures.

So deleting the YMML textures would display no textures (and thus probably a black box for the object) in the YMML scenery.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived