OOM in Northern Germany

NeilG

I just experienced the same, but not only once, but three times. As soon as I get close to Peenemünde at the East Sea I get an OOM. I restart P3D v.3.35 and load the flight near Rügen. As soon as I get further east and closer to Peenemünde, I have an OOM. My computer is fairly robust and I do not have my sliders all to the right side. Like you, I never had OOMs in P3D before. I'm not sure what to do 

N Germany is *very* demanding on resources. It's so densely populated (with objects, that is!) that it's almost like one huge urban area. You may get away with it fine with the less complex aircraft, but any aircraft that needs additional resources will leave you with a tiny margin. The only option I found was to tweak back the usual suspect settings back one notch - or uncheck some object options inthe GEN Control Panel. Check also if you can save anything in your Vector settings (if you use that).

Adam.

The only time that would be applicable IMHO is when the shaders are being created/cached for the first time for an area you've not visited (or since you last cleared your shaders cache). However - that only affects the initial load time - not VAS. My VAS useage in GEN is pretty high (but so is SCA for me) - so I do have to make some tweaks when flying in both of those areas. It's a trade-off, but unavoidable I think, considering the complexity of the sceneries involved.

Adam.

Thanks again Adam for your input. I further adjusted some sliders in P3D and unticked a few generic VFR landmarks. No more OOMs now. Btw I never had any when flying in SCA, mostly using Carenado planes. I don't know how ressource hungry they are.

If you Google around, you'll find a couple of handy little utilities out there for VAS: "VAS Monitor" and "VasoGraph". These are maybe a little friendlier than setting it up in FSUIPC. "VasoGraph" in particular gives you a nice visual view of what goes on over time.

What you might find is that your base level VAS varies quite a lot, depending on the aircaft's complexity (but we already know that LOL). If you [re]start the sim at the same location/day/time/weather conditions and make a note of the value for each aircraft, you can isolate the worst offenders. You can see it creeping up to the OOM mark.

Using VasoGraph, I can see my VAS in GEN is almost double that of NZNI/NZSI ... but roughly similar to SCA (depending on where in SCA you are). I don't think there's a "magic bullet"  and reducing the workload gradually without sacrificing too many viuals may be your only option.

Adam.

Hello NeilG,

I am not subtracting what Adam is suggesting, although I find for example flying GA low and slow I can increase my sliders and settings to Max in some scenarios. Whilst I conservatively fly tube liners with my sliders and any config for that matter at a medium or just above that setting I do not have Vas issues. I find personally amending my flight experience to what I actually need to see brings great and less frustrating results. So in short, I believe most over dense populated areas will most certainly ask for more resources and is not necessarily attributed to the scenery directly. To date being realistic with my in sim settings has saved me from OOMS.

On 9/25/2016 at 6:39 AM, bernd1151 said:

I just experienced the same, but not only once, but three times. As soon as I get close to Peenemünde at the East Sea I get an OOM. I restart P3D v.3.35 and load the flight near Rügen. As soon as I get further east and closer to Peenemünde, I have an OOM. My computer is fairly robust and I do not have my sliders all to the right side. Like you, I never had OOMs in P3D before. I'm not sure what to do 

Talking about Peenemünde; do you see the problem with trees on the runway there? Caused by the freeware airport and a possible cause for a memory leak.

Bests,

Sascha

Archived