For us military cowboys: May anybody take a shot of some airbase areas, please?

Harrier

Hallo everybody,

all those pics are outstanding! But due to my Tornados, Phantoms and some German Air Force "oldtimer" may anybody take some airbase screenshots maybe? Thank you very much in advance.... (Just to ask, because I am able to purchase not until October, I fear :unsure: )

Great idea! An ORBX military base would be nice. However - I suspect the problem may be to do with security. Many developers seem to be able to get good/unrestricted access to airports, where they can wander around and take as many reference pics as they like. Quite a few plane spotters have been imprisoned in countries that find it hard to believe people do that for a hobby (Greece, UAE etc.)! Of course, they could always be undercover CIA operatives :ph34r:!

I think freeware developers can make things up, based on Google Earth and other (freely available but maybe outdated) pics - but I think we expect far more detail/authenticity in outr ORBX airports.

Adam.

Hi Adam, thank you for reply.

No no, please don't misunderstand me - this wasn't a request for an airbase development (the quality would be outstanding though) - just thought about the area around - most of those airbases were already closed indeed so no need to be carefully to come in contact with CIA ;)

My question was inspired by the excellent FTX England Region bases like RAF Brize Norton, Cornwall or RAF Coltishall which were already great.

Regarding designing scenery, some german RAF bases already in progress B) - hopefully, RAF Bruggen will matches well GEN....

ETUR_TORNIE_1.jpg

Okay, okay :) the facts:

It's the UKMIL Tornado for FSX improved by Dino Cattaneo's superb F-14D VC - that freeware pack, you don't need payware anymore.

Scenery is my RAF Brüggen_X freeware in progress still using fotoreal underground but has to be reworked by groundpolys before release. But don't hold your breath - so regarding this there went my question - for many freeware mil scenery designer GEN now will be an awesome playground to work. So because of this, I asked for possible shots of military air base areas...

I agree it would be nice for military bases to be upgraded especially now for GEN. In the UK there are several sources and I think that FTX ENG had some. I am unsure because I use UK2000 airports rather than the included FTX ENG airports. UK2000 airbases in UK are done well. UKMIL is also a site that does airbases. Try Coningsby from ACG, google ACG RAF Coningsby FSX. Good details and plenty of Eurofighters based there.

I think that there might be a misunderstanding here .

I presume that the OP is asking if someone could take a screenshot of a military airbase as it appears in

the newly released GEN , and post that shot in this thread .

Unfortunately I cannot take a screenshot as my GEN DVD disc has not arrived yet .

Attached is a screenshot of my 'Clipboard' airport listing of Germany with some military airports

detailed .

Some of those airports will be in the GEN area .

Cheers

Karolfsx2016-09-1603-34-12-05.jpg

Hi  jjaycee1

I did that instrument (Clipboard) several years ago , I downloaded lists of airport ICAO's from around the world ,

then spent several weeks sifting through those thousands of airports to arrive at an abbreviated list of airports ,

typed that onto bitmaps , then created the instrument that enables you to select a desired page .

I use that  ICAO reference list to enter ,

1. an airport data and synthetic ILS instrument (Left MFD )

2. enter waypoints into a Flight Plan that I create in my Mission adaptive Flt Pln Editor (right MFD)

3. project the Radar display in Mode 6 to that location , anywhere on earth

It's just an advanced capability panel that I do for myself .

Above shot is latest version (not yet uploaded )

If you know how to install Pop Up window instruments , it is available freeware at both Simviation and Flightsim

library websites .

It is included in an older panel version (build standard B) .

Just do a search at those websites for ,

F-111 Pig HUD

Cheers

Karol

10 hours ago, COBS said:

I think that there might be a misunderstanding here .

I presume that the OP is asking if someone could take a screenshot of a military airbase as it appears in

the newly released GEN , and post that shot in this thread .

That's what I meant, thank you, Karol!

Thank you for the shot .

I think that  Peenemünde  has been done nicely in GEN .

Having a life long interest in rockets and especially in  ' liquid fuel rocket motors '  Peenemünde  has a special interest

as it was the home of the V2 rocket , in many respects it was the start of the trip to the Moon .

Many of the V2 development team went on to develop the mighty Saturn V that took mankind to the moon .

Cheers

Karol

You guys remember the old VNW project? I loved that scenery program, but strictly generic FSX, unfortunately. They had a great rendition of DaNang, complete with F-4 Phantom revetments, Khe-Sahn under missle fire, bases in Laos, Cambodia and Thailand...lots of eye candy. I'd love to see ORBX undertake a project like that. Lot of us old, and new, 'war-dog' pilots around, having either been there or just flying from the computer chair.

jsapair

I don't.  It isn't what they do, and they aren't going to be good at it.  ORBX needs to be ORBX.

There are a handful of people out there that have done some really amazing work on bases around the world.  Not always photoreal perfect right down the last trashcan, but damn good.  ACG comes to mind, and Larry in Australia has done a couple, with a couple more in the works.  There are others.  Not many, not nearly enough, but they are out there.

5 hours ago, jsapair said:

You guys remember the old VNW project? I loved that scenery program, but strictly generic FSX, unfortunately. They had a great rendition of DaNang, complete with F-4 Phantom revetments, Khe-Sahn under missle fire, bases in Laos, Cambodia and Thailand...lots of eye candy. I'd love to see ORBX undertake a project like that. Lot of us old, and new, 'war-dog' pilots around, having either been there or just flying from the computer chair.

jsapair

Hi,

I'm looking for charts for AB during Vietnam war in particularly Khe San and Soc Trang helibase. I may be interested if you have some. Very difficult to find them on the net

5 hours ago, Ripcord said:

ORBX needs to be ORBX.

Yes indeed, Mark, but OrbX is a composite of many teams with different talents and focus. Maybe someday the'll have a dedicated team. I am not interested in transforming my civilian FS into a military one (not interested by TacPac - we have a very good DCS for that) but, honestly, I'd be happier if the fat regions AFB would be a little more "furnished", at least enhanced to the level the best civilian airports are. This is particularly true in SCA where they are desperately looking like ghost towns. Compare Vanderberg and Santa Monica...  A couple of Hercs, helicopters, Humvees, gun-toting PersonFlows here and there ;), you know what I mean ...    

I think that ACG closed doors and did they make any US base for FSX/P3D ? I din't find any. 

A military base doesn't necessarily mean tack tack boum boum and destructive toys. It can reproduice a special environment for challenging flights such as Tamworth or Jan Mayen

Military air bases have almost nothing at all to do with TP, unless you include a bombing range. 

Honestly I thought that ORBX did a good job with the RAF bases in the UK -- or at least it was a reasonable effort, in that they did provide at least some objects in the library dedicated to military buildings and hangars in England.  And they didn't ruin those bases with needless default static F-22 and B-52 models (horribly out of place), to the point where it is offensive to anybody that ever served a day in anyone's military.  Had they added some parking for AI packs (available already for free) then they are actually quite decent.  Not ACG level quality but quite nice.

Dom, the two gents you want for the US are John Stinstrom and Henry Street.  Henry might still have some projects going, so watch him.

1 hour ago, Richard Bui said:

A military base doesn't necessarily mean tack tack boum boum and destructive toys. It can reproduice a special environment for challenging flights such as Tamworth or Jan Mayen

Hmm Tamworth is a good exception, I enjoy that scenery.  And I love your Jan Mayen as well, though I would put that in a different class, since it is a remote arctic airfield -- still fun though, and certainly relevant to military aviation.

But in the case of Tamworth, they had access and they were able to make all those objects.  Ever had a good look at all those aircraft parking shade covers?  Somehow they got on base to photograph those.  They were able to get enough detail there that they had every little sign, post, trashcan and picnic table in it's place.  They just are not going to be able to do that at other places.

Plus honestly it just isn't their thing.  Everybody has to have a focus, if you are going to excel at something. 

The TP allusion what exactly meant to say that. You can have a convincing AFB scenery without having a military sim with operational weaponry. Sorry if I was not clear. Concerning the UK I don't have OrbX England, only Scotland (that I fly a lot) and Wales (that I fly rarely). I don't remember any AFB on these two. I'll have to have  a closer look.

Again, what shocked me were some empty bases in California. Without a dedicated team, OrbX could have done better there, IMHO.

As for Khe Sanh I am sure that Richard already saw  that  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khe_Sanh_Combat_Base#/media/File:Detail_Map_Khe_Sanh_Combat_Base.jpg

All said and done Military airbases are only airports , and they do exist in real world scenery , it's just

that they have different building types around the runways .

I have the freeware , Amberley , Newcastle , Lossiemouth , Lakenheath , and Leeming installed .

However by far the largest number of airports that I have installed are Payware mainly by ORBX ,

and a couple by Aerosoft .

It's nice to have a choice of both types of airports .

Weapons applications are a matter of an individuals preference.

I don't have  TacPac  .

But I do have both the Chris Sykes freeware ,

1. Weapons package ,

and

2. Air Weapons Ranges for England obtained from following link ,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85413-Air-Weapons-Ranges

Cheers

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, jsapair said:

Richard, here's the link for the old VNW project. Da Nang is in there. It works under straight FSX only, though. I don't know about airport charts and such but you can check it out for yourself.

http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

Jsapair, I got pretty low performance at many of those VN bases.  What are you experiencing? 

Honestly, I haven't been back since I went to FSX DX10 and they didn't. I just posted the old link I had 'cause I thought maybe it would help Richard out on his quest for bases. You're running about the the same rig as i am, but like I said, I haven't been back to check. I thought I'd have to run some dual boot thing to run it and I didn't want to do that. That's why it would be great if someone like ORBX took up the challenge to make it compatible for all. Never gonna happen, though. Hey, at least you tried.

Archived