Significant Elevation Issue with PAJN

Braun

Howdy FTX support.  Braun here.  Order # PAJN 515526

Here's what happens.  Select "Start on Active" and when the loading box and my aircraft appears, if falls 20 to 30 or more feet from the sky.  If crash detect off, no worries can fly but the immersion factor gets kind of crushed right away.  Have crash detect on, that is just a dead end.

If you look at the scenery, fly on and around the scenery everything "looks" normal.  No obvious anomalies.  No water running up hill or standing vertical outside of the river banks.  My scenery is pretty much all ORBX, including NA LC (504728), Blue Southern Alaska (503934), and quite a few of your Alaska airports.  I also have Misty Mountain and Tongas Fjords installed if that helps. 

I've read about these things before on these forums, and how the fix was found in a third party bgl, mesh, or flatten file, etc.  I just don't know where to start or how to look.

TIA,

Braun

3 hours ago, Braun said:

I've read about these things before on these forums, and how the fix was found in a third party bgl, mesh, or flatten file, etc.  I just don't know where to start or how to look.

I don't have any non-ORBX products installed and have the same problem. I suspect you've seen my posts in some of those threads too.

My (not yet thoroughly tested) theory is that it all depends on the MSL level of your starting location in your basic/default flight. If it happens to be lower then your destination, then you sometimes get this problem. Annoyingly, sometimes (after a few visits to otther locations) it seems to sort itself out. Maybe I should set my start location to somewhere in Tibet :lol:.

I'd also love to know the definitive answer. Maybe it's out there and I missed it. I think Holger's the man to collar on this one - he knows his stuff! I think his theory is that the sim thinks you've crashed into the terrain, so it does the "let's restart 50ft higher" routine.

Adam.

4 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

I don't have any non-ORBX products installed and have the same problem. I suspect you've seen my posts in some of those threads too.

My (not yet thoroughly tested) theory is that it all depends on the MSL level of your starting location in your basic/default flight. If it happens to be lower then your destination, then you sometimes get this problem. Annoyingly, sometimes (after a few visits to otther locations) it seems to sort itself out. Maybe I should set my start location to somewhere in Tibet :lol:.

I'd also love to know the definitive answer. Maybe it's out there and I missed it. I think Holger's the man to collar on this one - he knows his stuff! I think his theory is that the sim thinks you've crashed into the terrain, so it does the "let's restart 50ft higher" routine.

Adam.

Adam,  I believe you have identified the issue, and a possible solution is start out at the location in question, save the flight after it has "crashed', and then start the sim again.  If your starting location is significantly above or below the elevation of the airport you want to load, then you encounter this problem.  The sim thinks you are starting at the elevation of the default airport when obviously you are not.

Hi guys,

this sounds like a mismatch in altitude data between runway starting points and the main airport flatten polygon, typically caused by a third-party add-on. Any time you have a problem like that at an airport I'd suggest running a Windows search of your entire FSX/P3D folder tree (including any external scenery locations you may have) for .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names -- e.g., search term *PAJN*.bgl -- and post a list or screenshot of the results with full file names and folder paths so we can help you tease out the incompatible file(s).

Cheers, Holger

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

this sounds like a mismatch in altitude data between runway starting points and the main airport flatten polygon, typically caused by a third-party add-on. Any time you have a problem like that at an airport I'd suggest running a Windows search of your entire FSX/P3D folder tree (including any external scenery locations you may have) for .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names -- e.g., search term *PAJN*.bgl -- and post a list or screenshot of the results with full file names and folder paths so we can help you tease out the incompatible file(s).

Cheers, Holger

Then I guess my example was probably an isolated incident at the time, for a different airport of course.  This particular problem hasn't occurred for me at PAJN.

Archived