Vertical Surfaces Look Like Slime

boleyd

P3D/FSX have not evolved to eliminate near vertical surfaces from looking like slime was poured down their side(vertical plane). Is this a hopeless anomaly or has some clever graphics person devised a way the show the proper surface?

7816-019.jpg

I can be corrected with hand applied photoreal but that's not a feasible option worldwide.  

If I see something I don't like when flying in scenery I just ignore it and look somewhere else...  reduces stress :-)

Hi Boleyd,

I could not read the co-ordinates, have you cropped the picture (the picture resolution was 1000x649), where is this scene is it FTXGlobal or other Orbx product.

Something strange going on there in your picture, not scenery or Orbx related though, my rock textures appear sharper than that around FTXGlobal Freeware AP KSEZ Sedona. 

Take a close look at the red text top left of your picture, it seems the red text is smudged like a shadow of the red text with a blue transparency gaussing beneath.
While the Blurry text can be attributed to shader tools like EMB, in this case it seems to be affecting the whole image, displaying unsharp texture in your mountain scene.

Is your Screen Resolution set properly? 

Have you checked all your graphics settings, including any Nvidia Inspector settings, shader tools like EMB or SweetFX if you use them?

Have you recently updated your graphics driver?  

Are the Quality / performance settings of your Graphics card AA & AF the same as you had before?  

Near Bozeman. Almost all vertical, or semi-vertical stuff is probably just a 1x1km chunk of landclass laid on the mountain. So the only thing that can happen is a stretched result. I was wondering if anybody knows of any work that would allow laying a 1x1 tie on a conical surface with no stretching.

7816-020.jpg

Your 2nd screenshot looks just perfect! I'm living i the middle of the mountains and this is how some vertical surfaces of mountains look. The vertical lines in the 2nd pic are mostly vertical crevices and coombs and their baked in shadows. These baked shadows can look strange sometimes when looking from the "wrong" direction.In the fist pic you have issues with blurries. I have checked the PR mountain range NE of Bozeman in my P3d installation and it does nowhere look as like your screenshot. And, of course, you shouldn't fly too close to PR textures. This will always spoil the immersion. 

"I was wondering if anybody knows of any work that would allow laying a 1x1 tie on a conical surface with no stretching."

The person who has done the freeware Mattahorn and other similar sceneries has appeared to have done such a thing.

I did a screen grab with the "grabber" set to only medium resolution so first picture is not what I really see. It is very tempting to fly close but, as noted, it is not going to look good.

It's all a matter of texture mapping. In FS the textures are flat projected onto the ground mesh from above. This leads to such kind of distortion - the steeper the mountain side is the fewer pixels it receives from above. Unfortunately that ist the only way to map FS ground mesh.

If you want to use another kind of texture mapping you have to turn the mountain into a 3D object. That's exactly what Frank Dainese did with Yosemity, Devil's Tower and Monument Valley. With these 3D mountain objects he could use other mapping methods like cube mapping, cylinder mapping or sideway projection. These mountains look brilliant.

Hi, 

Microsoft has find a way to solve this in the rendering process... It was MS Flight.:lol:

For sure, it's not too complicated, but all the further scenery add-ons would lost compatibility.

Archived