Missing maps

teecee

Bear with me on this please as I am sort of out of touch with what is going on re maps for prepar3d. I use plan-g and VFR flight and both of  these a no longer working, it appears that the

owners have been shut out or some such.

Two questions.

!. can anything be done to restore these addons?

2. Are there any alternative maps that will work with the sim, preferably freeware or inexpensive?

Thanks folks..Teecee.

Plan G no longer uses the Map Quest OSM maps but you can substitute Open Street Map instead.

To change the map provider in Plan-G

1. Open Plan-G
  2. Select "File" in the top menu bar
  3. Select "Options" in the side menu bar
  4. Under "General Options", "Map Provider", change to "OpenStreetMap"

There are several schemes, a free one and some you've to pay for. The difference is the amount of accesses. Now I can't tell you how many "accesses" I perform but someone more knowledgable told be the free scheme should be sufficient for our "normal" flightsim use.

You get access data which you can input into Plan-G; there is a special field (actually two ones) under "Map Provider".

Mainly this Mapquest account is intended for designing your own maps, but I still have to design my first map and no one asked so far. One limitation of the free account is you can only choose one style of map for access.

Kind regards, Michael

Wel that's been 2 years or so ago I made this and only once.There is a "get started" button. I think from there you are led to "Styles" and select one of the present styles (which you like) and then apply for an access token which you get by mail. That's the one to insert into Plan-G.

I see my token besides this "styles" field.

Kind regards, Michael

BTW, when this came into force 1 or 2 years ago, there were some contributioins on the Plan-G forum, which I followed. They should be still available.

And yes, the UI is indeed a bit, well, confusing, but it works.

Kind regards, Michael 

I am unable to get Mapbox to work in Plan-G, so I am abandoning the effort.  There didn't seem to be a way to acquire an access token, so no way to use any of the styles. The Plan-G forums were not much help either.  That's fine, I shall use the Openstreetmap; it seems to be pretty good.

I am sorry I don't recall all the details either. The mapbox interface indeed isn't that clear.

Here are a few contribs which might help.

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3216.msg16020#msg16020 reply #20 by Tim, I think that thread got me going once.

This should describe how to get the "token".

https://www.mapbox.com/help/define-access-token/

You create it here:

https://www.mapbox.com/studio/account/tokens/

I notably recall I had to restart Plan-G once after inserting the token. The token is a very long construction, not to be confused wioth your mapbox login data.

Otherwise you're of course fine using just OSM.

Kind regards, Michael

Can't get this to work- put this in Plan G window--

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/penzoil3/ciqk13dva001vbjkyvtylooss.html?title=true&access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicGVuem9pbDMiLCJhIjoiY2lxazEyNGs4MDB2N2dsa3ZwNWFiYzc5YiJ9.NJaok6dRT4QkEmMoAsqxsQ#0/0/0/0

What am I doing wrong ? Help please... I get a 404 file not found error in Plan G. But if I put that in a browser, I get the map...

Snivel

Sue

Did you go through the procedure described in my post #11 referencing to Tim Arnot? You first have to establish an account with Amybox, next to select the map style you want and get a token for it, and third to insert ID and key (which you received via mail) into the corresponding Settings fields of Plan-G. Don't forget to restart Plan-G once after inserting the credentials.

I just checked, it does work properly for me,

Kind regards, Michael

6 hours ago, pmb said:

Did you go through the procedure described in my post #11 referencing to Tim Arnot? You first have to establish an account with Amybox, next to select the map style you want and get a token for it, and third to insert ID and key (which you received via mail) into the corresponding Settings fields of Plan-G. Don't forget to restart Plan-G once after inserting the credentials.

I just checked, it does work properly for me,

Kind regards, Michael

Just an aside from me, Michael.  I didn't receive a access key via email.  I copied it from the style page where you select a name for your map.

1 minute ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Just an aside from me, Michael.  I didn't receive a access key via email.  I copied it from the style page where you select a name for your map.

Thanks Stew, you're obviously right. I don't have a saved mail in the place were I save such mails, thus I must have done it the same way.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived