Death Valley Junction - LcLookup problem?

Adam Banks

6 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

Thanks, Ed! ;) I don't have NCA or SCA installed in my old FSX, so couldn't really compare.

I forgot to mention that the pics above were taken in P3Dv3 (and I don't have Global).

Adam.

If you do not have Global then the textures your seeing are stock P3Dv3.  I do not have P3D so do not know if adding Global (which is a complete replacement of the FSX default textures plus more.) would alter the view your seeing or not.

10 hours ago, spud said:

If you do not have Global then the textures your seeing are stock P3Dv3.  I do not have P3D so do not know if adding Global (which is a complete replacement of the FSX default textures plus more.) would alter the view your seeing or not.

I don't have Global, but I *do* have FTX SCA and FTX NCA - so all the textures should be there, I think.

The nearest airport (and the one I took off from) is 70CL (Amargosa) - which is in FTX SCA.

Adam.

Hi guys,

actually, those are dry lakes classified in the USFWS wetlands source data as "lake, salt", which is the very light custom SCA texture assigned to those polygons. Looks like P3Ds HDR or other lighting options washes out the texture so that its detail only becomes visible during low-light conditions.

In short, it's not really a problem with the texture or lclookup or migration but rather P3D's lighting system that increases contrast, particularly in dark and bright parts of the color spectrum.

Cheers, Holger

12 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

actually, those are dry lakes classified in the USFWS wetlands source data as "lake, salt", which is the very light custom SCA texture assigned to those polygons. Looks like P3Ds HDR or other lighting options washes out the texture so that its detail only becomes visible during low-light conditions.

In short, it's not really a problem with the texture or lclookup or migration but rather P3D's lighting system that increases contrast, particularly in dark and bright parts of the color spectrum.

Thanks from me too, Holger. Agreed - but I'd expect to see many more textures similarly "washed out" - this one really is quite unfortunate! I'd be interested to see the same area in FSX!

I take it that the same textures are used for FSX and P3D <?>. Are any textures ever sim-specific, I wonder?

Adam.

• 5 months later...

Hello All:

I don't know if the following information will be helpful. My simulator installation is a dvd version of FSX. Also have installed OzX Death Valley (with duplicate files removed as directed) and most recently have recently  FTX SCA. No other FTX Global or related sceneries, although I do have UTX.  In general, the scenery looks very good, without obvious anomalies or faults.  But I am seeing a  fairly large number of the 'dry lakes', as described and illustrated by earlier writers; these are present throughout Death Valley and also pretty easy to find on the flight from Death Valley to Las Vegas. Thus far, my only flights have been during the current midwinter season, so I do not know what they will look like in Spring or Summer.

Does anyone know whether these can be fixed or at least have their appearance changed? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Jorvik

Archived