Orbx global water class

4 hours ago, HeadlessHershel said:

Would ORBX ever consider doing a global product to add new water class? A lot of the orbx airports around water have custom water class and it looks amazing. Would doing a global product that changed all water to make it similar quality be possible? 

Sounds like an interesting idea but not sure there would be enough interest to make it economically worth while. Anywhere away from coasts flights are at high altitude so fine details are unnecessary

this has been suggested several times and I think it would be a great product and would sell well.  Most of us here would buy it Im sure.

The same thing that has been done with land needs to be done with water:  a coordinated set of textures and waterclass.

Id love to have a wide variety of inland water colors and to be able to have the coastal lakes be dark blue while right next to them is emerald green water that's appropriate around here.  All the areas should have appropriate water.  Itd be great.

+1 as well and maybe but don't know if this is a challenge for the oceans as well to not see the repetitive textures. Please correct me if I am wrong since I haven't flown over large water areas recently, but I remember back to FS9 the Atlantic Ocean for example had this repetitive textures which looked awful, same as it is with default land textures.

Cheers,

Axel

This has been something I've dreamed about, perhaps after all the OpenLC regions are released. I don't mind repetitive texures on the open ocean, but I'm more interested to what it would do to coastal areas (specially in the tropics). Also, the current waterclass is too blocky.

Airports with visually appealing water don't usually rely on water class, it is photoreal imagery providing the effect.

It is not impossible to do over large areas, the UK and Ireland regions are a good example of large scale implementation of it using low resolution imagery. It is different from Global Base or OpenLC though

This is why REX exists. :)

Their water themes are highly realistic, not to mention transforming default clouds to nothing short of extraordinary.  Using ORBX scenery with REX water and clouds ups the realism quite a bit.

Well, now that I think about it, my biggest issue with waterclasses is the low resolution. A product that improves that would be pretty much a day one purchase for me (as long as it is compatible with Vector, of course). Combine that with REX (which I forgot about earlier, even though I have it :wacko:) and water ends up looking very good IMO :)

4 hours ago, jmorvay1971 said:

This is why REX exists. :)

Their water themes are highly realistic, not to mention transforming default clouds to nothing short of extraordinary.  Using ORBX scenery with REX water and clouds ups the realism quite a bit.

REX can't solve this with textures alone.  no one can.  they could easily solve 'popcorn clouds' by making their textures just a little larger on the texture sheet but they'd rather rewrite your shaders.

If they want to create a waterclass product along with its associated set of textures than let them do it.  they'll sell many copies and bring in a lot of money Im sure.  I just wish Orbx would do it because I think they'd do a much better job.  (England notwithstanding)

Orbx airports have great water as far as Ive seen and the PNW region has good water.  Im just tired of the placement of 'tropical water' and its associated coral appearance in places it doesn't belong.  I want the US Gulf coast to look like the US Gulf Coast...dark blue coastal lakes and emerald green water right next to it.  I want a wide variety of inland water colors like exists in real life.  Everyone has a favorite region that could benefit from better waterclass.

Land has had a great deal of attention paid to it.  The water has been largely untouched except in small areas.

6 minutes ago, sightseer said:

REX can't solve this with textures alone.  no one can.  they could easily solve 'popcorn clouds' by making their textures just a little larger on the texture sheet but they'd rather rewrite your shaders.

If they want to create a waterclass product along with its associated set of textures than let them do it.  they'll sell many copies and bring in a lot of money Im sure.  I just wish Orbx would do it because I think they'd do a much better job.  (England notwithstanding)

Orbx airports have great water as far as Ive seen and the PNW region has good water.  Im just tired of the placement of 'tropical water' and its associated coral appearance in places it doesn't belong.  I want the US Gulf coast to look like the US Gulf Coast...dark blue coastal lakes and emerald green water right next to it.  I want a wide variety of inland water colors like exists in real life.  Everyone has a favorite region that could benefit from better waterclass.

Land has had a great deal of attention paid to it.  The water has been largely untouched except in small areas.

Sorry but I tend to concentrate my observations more towards actual flying.  The water textures I have in P3D look amazing from above and while you mentioned a tropical water texture placement in wrong locations, I cannot confirm I have that issue.  REX TD enables you to select different water textures for different areas, such as tropical, lake, ocean, etc.  Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying but again, when you're flying a few thousand feet in the air, with your water settings near or at ultra in P3D, it sure looks real to me.  Now, the coastlines and wave action, THAT can definitely use a fix.  I don't care for the wave action at all, looks very fake.  Vector does well with correcting the coastlines, and beaches come in pretty well too.

I haven't tried this yet (by deafult it is turned off) but enabling bathymetry might change the way the water looks?

Archived