Win 7 with ASUS mobo beware

Mine was I called my builder and he talked me through the bios settings going into Advance mode F7 on my board, and the update had changed in my boot to boot from I think it said UEFI DEVICE I had to change this back to Boot from other OS Device and it booted up with no problems and ive had none ever since that was over a week ago I thought it was just down to me and not a world wide thing. My builder from Scan told me it was a  update from windows that caused this.

cheers

Iain

Thanks for the heads-up Clint,

I don't know how I managed to avoid that MS update (KB3133977) I have had autoupdate deactivated for some time now and read each update before installing, I must have vetted it from the list when reading what impact it may have. A search through my installed updates showed that it has not been installed in my W7 OS - Asus Z87-Expert MOBO
But I did find it among the updates that I had intentionally hidden (The article mentioned "bitlocker" and "drive encryption" in the title which is probably why it got hidden).
At least I can keep a watch for it now, and know what to do if accidently gets installed or shifted to a new MS priority installation.

On a side note: I've been wanting to install my old XP OS in Dualboot W7/XP to run some older programs that do not suit W7, and find that my Asus Z87-Expert mobo will not allow it whatsoever, I contacted Asus about the issue but they only had bad news, but this little quirk might give me some room to experiment using (Other OS) in bios to disable UEFI security measures, W7 will still boot and potentially XP might install and boot if it can get past the UEFI security.

Hi Clint,

Thanks for this tip, i too have found this update in the ones I have intentionally hidden, so its not been installed, but i'll keep an eye out for it in future update's, why the heck do microsoft insist on throwning us these no-ballers, causing all these problems for us FSX user's?

Cheers,

Archived