KFHR loading time

Jon Clarke

Anyone else experience a very long loading time still with KFHR? On my SSD a flight usually takes maximum 2.5 minutes ( traffic takes a while in this equation as i tend to have it quite high) but with my normal settings running KFHR takes up to 6 minutes. I am also noticing that any flight now in PNW is taking much longer to load so I am assuming this may be because the sim is reading the necessary files to open up my chosen PNW flight and has to read through KFHR. Is my assumption correct? I am going to experiment by removing KFHR and see if my loading times in PNW return to normal.

Other people's loading time observations would be appreciated to see if I am alone in this.

Just ran a test.

From the FSX welcome screen I clicked on KFHR as a selection at 6:24:20pm.  Took maybe 10-15 secs for the airport selection to load and allow me to click on the FLY NOW button.  From there it spent maybe 30-40 secs at 0% loading but after a while the bar got going and I was in the vc on the runway at 6:27:00pm.  From there it took another 15 secs for the scenery to load the trees etc (something that I don't experience elsewhere) so the total time elapsed for me is 2 minutes 55 secs.

All default control panel settings with 2048 textures selected.  Tried at 1024 no noticeable difference.

Thanks John. I think it must come down to the amount of addons one has and what is on the scenery cfg for loading in a particular Region. I use SimStarter and for NA I have all NA regions active +OLC NA, NA payware airports and MT6 traffic plus the NA related traffic bgls like Graham Eccleston's ai NA GA traffic. The times you recorded in your post are what I was experiencing until recently and before I installed the updated KFHR, although I already had the original KFHR installed, and the new ai NA GA traffic. I get the 6% hang for about 2 minutes and because of my GA ai settings another 2 minutes loading traffic. However my point was that these settings were my normal one's prior to the new versions of both KFHR and NA GA ai, and loading time was exactly like yours or under 3.5 minutes depending on weather settings etc. Just an observation and not criticising KFHR in anyway. The long load times were evident after the original installation of KFHR and was also a topic of discussion in these forums at the time of the product release.

Hi Jjaycee,

Could you try disabling KFHR and seeing if the loading time improves? Then enable it again and compare results.

Sorry for the request, I'm not having long loading times on my system, so I can only ask for help with this one to try and find a cause/solution. :)

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm using FSX SE, I've never used their version, only Orbx!

Apart from the long loading time, I've never had any issues with this add on, ever...even on my very modest rig (by today's standards) and I use 2048 graphics, so I'm quite happy really!

Thanks,

Thanks for the info!

It seems the only issue I've had myself so far is if I'd had the Steam version of KFHR installed. I'm yet to witness any long loading times though.

When FSX or P3D pauses on the loading screen for a considerable amount of time, does the loading screen say what it is attempting to load?

No doubt, this is a wonderful scenery!

BUT there must be something wrong with the loading time!

I have FSXGold edition, with default scenery and default trike and new started Windows I have 55 sec loading time,

With North America enabled and KFHR disabled in the scenery I have 3.5 minutes loading time.

Then with KFHR enabled loading time rises to 7.5 minutes, even with the default trike!

Frames are OK, but I have never experience such a long loading time, even on most complex airports in ORBX land.

I would be happy if somebody can find the reason for this enormous loading time and a solution to reduce it,

Fritz

2 hours ago, FriLa said:

No doubt, this is a wonderful scenery!

BUT there must be something wrong with the loading time!

I have FSXGold edition, with default scenery and default trike and new started Windows I have 55 sec loading time,

With North America enabled and KFHR disabled in the scenery I have 3.5 minutes loading time.

Then with KFHR enabled loading time rises to 7.5 minutes, even with the default trike!

Frames are OK, but I have never experience such a long loading time, even on most complex airports in ORBX land.

I would be happy if somebody can find the reason for this enormous loading time and a solution to reduce it,

Fritz

Fritz,  You may have North America enabled, but what else is being loaded into the sim in addition to North America?  Unless the other regions besides the North American ones (NCA, SCA, PNW, for example) are disabled in the scenery library, they will be loaded into the sim as well as North America.  If you have the European Regions (England, Scotland, Norway, for example) active in the scenery library, they will be loaded along with North America.  That will impact your sim loading time significantly.

Edit to add:  With my particular system and my particular addon sceneries and airports (and I have many) being loaded along with all North America Full Regions (and only the Full Regions, no others in Europe or Australia, for instance), I experienced no significant difference in load times to the ramp at KMRY with or without KFHR enabled.  Go figure!

To reduce frustration a little while this issue is looked at, pretend you're going for a real world flight and spend the 7-8 minutes pre-flighting.  Aircraft checks, flight plans etc.  In the real world you're generally half an hour away from getting airborne when you arrive at your local airport so look at it as time saved in the sim!

Another thing I've noticed, if I have the flight selection screen open, and I select my airport, and my aircraft and weather etc,   Then I leave the screen sitting there with the aircraft spinning in the little window, for the equivalent of the loading time that awaits me, like 2-3 minutes, when I do click on FLY NOW, the flight loads almost instantly.  So if you had another chore to do like check the intended route on a WAC Chart, or in Plan G etc or just read up on the approach plates for the arrival airport, it could be another aspect of the 'simulation'.  As a test, I just selected the flight parameters as described above while I was writing the last paragraph.  After I had written the paragraph, I clicked on FLY NOW and the flight loaded up at 88% !

There's definitely somethng the sim has to go through here that is heavy on the loading times, though what it is might be buried deep in the code.  When I selected the Texan from the aircraft list in the menu screen just then, it took close to 60 seconds to select the aircraft and be ready for the next step.  Some sort of system checking must be going on in the background... but what?

8 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Fritz,  You may have North America enabled, but what else is being loaded into the sim in addition to North America?  Unless the other regions besides the North American ones (NCA, SCA, PNW, for example) are disabled in the scenery library, they will be loaded into the sim as well as North America.  If you have the European Regions (England, Scotland, Norway, for example) active in the scenery library, they will be loaded along with North America.  That will impact your sim loading time significantly.

Edit to add:  With my particular system and my particular addon sceneries and airports (and I have many) being loaded along with all North America Full Regions (and only the Full Regions, no others in Europe or Australia, for instance), I experienced no significant difference in load times to the ramp at KMRY with or without KFHR enabled.  Go figure!

Hi Steward,

yes, I have all North American Regions active, but no other regions installed (or active). I do not have Global or OpenLC. What I mentioned is that loading time with ALL other Add Ons except KFHR is 3.5 Minutes. Just ONE airport more - KFHR - and loading time is more than twice as long, 7.5 minutes! Maybe something deep in my hardware or in some complexity settings is the reason for it.

Thanks, Fritz

Archived