Possible Issue: KOPF - Opa-locka Executive Airport

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up - seems one of the airports in the pack may be missing a file or something - OR - LOL - it could be something on my end...

Thanks for all your effort - really love the freeware airports you guys do...

KOPF_zps7ao4aml2.jpg

Regards,
Scott

KOPF is indeed part of the NA freeware airport pack. It's been a while since I flew out of it, so I just  fired up my sim and checked it out. It indeed looks like the OP's photo now. The tarmac, taxiways, buildings, etc.....all gone. I switched to night time, and all the lights still outline all the taxiways and such, so at night from a distance, it's looks normal. But daytime, or if you're on the ground to a couple hundred feet, you can't help but notice the airport has disappeared for some reason.

Yep, mine looks pretty sparse as well, though I can't remember what it looked like when it first appeared in the freeware NA packs. I vaguely remember noting how sparse the airfield was after install, but never got around to posting a forum topic, as I rarely fly US east coast.

Most, if not all the freeware airports have 3 associated .bgl's,  even though the airfield looks enhanced KOPF does seem to be missing some objects.

1. Airfield ADE.bgl or ADEX.bgl   ( ADE_FTX_FTXG_KOPF.BGL )

2. CVX.bgl   ( ADE_FTX_FTXG_KOPF_CVX.bgl )

3. objects.bgl    (None found)

A search of my backup FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS folder made from NA Pack 1- Pack 25, It seems that KOPF - Opa-locka Executive Airport never had a  KOPF objects.bgl added to the installer which may look something like this:  Possible filename ( FTX_FTXG_KOPF_objects.bgl)

It seems that the objects / models & buildings are there but they are invisible, revealed momentarily by some (luminous green boxes) when pressing ALT+Enter to go from full screen to Windowed mode in the Top Down view in my screenshot. (Couldn't capture a screenie it happens too quickly)

b28b869290cf51498b82c7280e1e1f97.jpg

Hi, Jeff.  Yes, I found it listed in the PDF, but KOPF is not in the Google Earth kmz files for NA Freeware so not viewable in GE.  That's why I thought it wasn't a Freeware airport.  Perhaps we are looking at the Default version of KOPF, not an Orbx freeware airport? 

23 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Perhaps we are looking at the Default version of KOPF, not an Orbx freeware airport? 

Hello Stewart,

It is included in the airport pack, as Jeff has researched and what you see now is very different to the default.

I would agree that the objects file is perhaps missing.

Hi, Jeff.  Yes, I have the two .bgl files, but no Objects.bgl.  I'm guessing that whoever put together the kmz files for that particular NA Freeware release (whichever one it is) failed to include KOPF in the mix.  No problem.  At least we know why it doesn't display correctly.

Hi Stewart.

I use this map to pick destinations and it was listed on there... Unfortunately - I was flying in from KMYR and only discovered the issue on approach - a bit disappointing after taking the time to make the run... The guy who made the map seems to religiously keep it up to date - which I am also extremely thankful for... He's got a thread on Avsim...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM

Regards,
Scott

Hi, Scott.  Yes, I'm familiar with that map, but prefer to use my own GE with all the kmz files that have been listed specifically on the German forum.  I find them (mostly) superior, but of course, the fellow evidently forgot KOPF. 

Hi Guys, I did some searching...

My Excel file doesn't list KOPF as a freeware airport but searching my archives I do see KOPF .bgl's but as you've noticed there is no objects file.  I took the time to drag out my ADE source file and added a background image and I can see I started it but never finished.  Those huge airports are murder to get to look good so I suppose I dropped it but missed removing it from the files I sent in.  It would have been around pack 13 or 14.  FYI, the runways and major taxiways are accurate but the aprons were never fixed and I probably removed a bunch of default buildings.  Probably best to remove the KOPF .BGL and _CVX.BGL, I'll have Ed remove them when Pack 26 is released.

Sorry for the confusion,

Cheers, Neil

5 hours ago, Neil Hill said:

Hi Guys, I did some searching...

My Excel file doesn't list KOPF as a freeware airport but searching my archives I do see KOPF .bgl's but as you've noticed there is no objects file.  I took the time to drag out my ADE source file and added a background image and I can see I started it but never finished.  Those huge airports are murder to get to look good so I suppose I dropped it but missed removing it from the files I sent in.  It would have been around pack 13 or 14.  FYI, the runways and major taxiways are accurate but the aprons were never fixed and I probably removed a bunch of default buildings.  Probably best to remove the KOPF .BGL and _CVX.BGL, I'll have Ed remove them when Pack 26 is released.

Sorry for the confusion,

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

couldn't you postpone the work on this airport for one of the next packs? Since you already invested work on this place, another Florida airport would be wonderful.

Bermuda

Well....

I'll consider finishing up KOPF for a future freeware airport but don't hold your breath.  If I find the airports taxiways have been renamed all bet's are off, I hate rebuilding taxiway signs!!

Cheers, Neil

Archived