FTX Global textures changing mid flight

Scott Harmes

Hi,

I just had a strange occurrence with some textures changing from (presumably) Spring to Winter during an approach.  I have seen this happen before with photoscenery, but not landclass tiles.  I was on approach to KGUC Airport, runway 06, and the tiles started changing in rows and blocks to Winter textures but according to the sim I was flying in Spring.  By the time I was fairly close to the ground all the ground textures were showing Winter textures, and even the runway showed snow on it.  Strangely it was snowing at the time as I had real weather set.  I'm not sure if this is an FTX Global issue or perhaps something else.

See the pics of the change below:

2016-4-29_15-30-53-568.jpg

2016-4-29_15-30-57-788.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-1-548.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-4-868.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-8-268.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-14-838.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-17-148.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-19-518.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-25-848.jpg

2016-4-29_15-31-34-958.jpg

Cheers,

Hi Scott,

I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with the texture between winter snow and non winter. I wonder if this is a seasonal switch where you are right on the normal seasonal change for Date / Month of texture types.

What happens if you try an Orbx Weather theme instead of Real weather.

Hi there,

actually, it has nothing to do with Orbx or the date, the key is the active snowfall in the current weather situation. It's been hard-coded in FSX/P3D since release that active snowfall will force landclass ground textures (but not photoreal bgl files!) to dynamically switch to their corresponding "hard winter" variant, regardless of what the seasons control file states the local season should be. Even in mid-summer, if you select the "Winter Wonderland" weather theme, for example, you'll see this change-over. Unfortunately, there's no blending at all between texture tiles, hence the checkerboard pattern.

If this happens again, and you want to keep the current weather, then the best approach is to select the Scenery Library menu and click on OK, which will force all of the hard-winter textures to be loaded right away, sparing you the strange tiling.

Cheers, Holger

2 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

Yeah sure - it's the new Vintage VC being created for Manfred's DC-3/C-47.  It's still being tested at the moment, but it is getting closer to release, so shouldn't be far away.

Oooh - you're such a TEASE :lol:! I thought it was the MJ C-47 (thanks!), but couldn't quite place the VC. I've been following progress on the VC for a [long] while. It's going to be simply **awesome**!

Adam.

Thanks for the replies gents.

Jeff, the change between seasons is what I first considered, but it was not close to the time for the seasons to change, and it would have been a huge coincidence if it changed right at that moment. :)

Holger, thanks for the explanation.  Strange I have never seen or heard of this before.  I suppose I don't use snow weather themes very much, and it just happened to be in the current live weather situation.  I should explain that when I said I have seen this happen with photo scenery I was just referring to the blocking effect you get sometimes when flying closer to a higher resolution PR that shows through a lower res PR.

Thanks again, you learn something new every day.

Cheers,

5 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

Oooh - you're such a TEASE :lol:! I thought it was the MJ C-47 (thanks!), but couldn't quite place the VC. I've been following progress on the VC for a [long] while. It's going to be simply **awesome**!

Adamn=.

:lol:

Sorry mate.  Shouldn't be too long; but it will be worth the wait.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

Adam.

Me too !  It's a beautiful job.

Sue

Archived