Airline cutlery

Stillwater

I forgotten already Gerold.

Here are 3 from me.

I like the Lauda one, best flight I ever had was from Phuket to Sydney on OE-LAU just one week before the accident in Thailand. First flight I had ever been on where I was totally relaxed and not apprehensive. I still think about the wonderful flight crew that day and hoped none of them were on the flight the following week.

1.gi1.jpg

Got this one from where I used to work. The boss knew I was interested in aviation and gave it to me, don't know where he got it from though.

2.gi2.jpg

These next two I found in the draw at home and when I asked where they came from the wife said she had pocketed them.

3.gi3.jpg

38 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

forgotten already Gerold.

Here are 3 from me.

I like the Lauda one, best flight I ever had was from Phuket to Sydney on OE-LAU just one week before the accident in Thailand. First flight I had ever been on where I was totally relaxed and not apprehensive. I still think about the wonderful flight crew that day and hoped none of them were on the flight the following week.

1.Got this one from where I used to work. The boss knew I was interested in aviation and gave it to me, don't know where he got it from though.

2.These next two I found in the draw at home and when I asked where they came from the wife said she had pocketed them.

I agree with your impression on Lauda: My first intercont flight was on OE-LPB (search for the callsign, she is still active), and the crews (VIE-KUL, KUL-MEL) were really good. I´d say, the best I have ever experienced, together with Singapore.

Lovely logo quiz, Martyn. I would guess #2 is Thai Airways, but i am unsure with #3. May be an old precursor of Singapore´s logo?

PS: Another one out of our kitchen: Lufthansa. The long one without logo is designed for Latte Macchiato, but also very good to get the remainder out of Nutella glasses...

WP_20160227_LH.jpg

52 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I agree with your impression on Lauda: My first intercont flight was on OE-LPB (search for the callsign, she is still active), and the crews (VIE-KUL, KUL-MEL) were really good. I´d say, the best I have ever experienced, together with Singapore.

Lovely logo quiz, Martyn. I would guess #2 is Thai Airways, but i am unsure with #3. May be an old precursor of Singapore´s logo?

PS: Another one out of our kitchen: Lufthansa. The long one without logo is designed for Latte Macchiato, but also very good to get the remainder out of Nutella glasses...

Forgot to say whose spoons they were but you are correct.

We used to have plastic cutlery out of Australia but now we get the grown up metal utensils. All for safety of course, gone are the days when the airline food was the most dangerous thing on the plane.:o:ph34r::lol:

Well this is a topic off the beaten track.

I've only ever received plastic knives and forks.  I've also only flown commercially twice.  Apart from you guys pocketing the real cutlery :P,  I bet we can all guess why they wouldn't hand out steel utensils any more. :(:angry:

Cheers,

So I could get an American cutlery set with the trays and purchase frozen TV dinners so half way through a PMDG 777 flight using the American livery I could microwave my TV dinner and eat it with my American cutlery. Now we are getting as real as it gets. :D

Some splendid cutlery on show here :D...I wish I had liberated some fine examples now when travelling business with the airlines for decades...

Only item liberated was a headrest cover / throw from 1st class (free upgrade) on a Northwest 747 Minneapolis St Paul to Schiphol... that ended up on the top of my office chair for a while.

I always used to collect / purchase the little aircraft models of the plane I was on out of the airlines brochure...I had dozens of them (probably would have been worth something now) but they got thrown out in a very aggresive "spring clean " by the Wife some years back! :angry:

37 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Some splendid cutlery on show here :D...I wish I had liberated some fine examples now when travelling business with the airlines for decades...

Only item liberated was a headrest cover / throw from 1st class (free upgrade) on a Northwest 747 Minneapolis St Paul to Schiphol... that ended up on the top of my office chair for a while.

I always used to collect / purchase the little aircraft models of the plane I was on out of the airlines brochure...I had dozens of them (probably would have been worth something now) but they got thrown out in a very aggresive "spring clean " by the Wife some years back! :angry:

You mean you are still married to her after having your model aircraft binned. Christ, how far do people have to go before they get divorced these days:lol::lol::lol:

On 26 February 2016 at 6:22 PM, Stillwater said:

Let me try to start a little collection here, following a side discussion coming out of this post...:

I bet they loved you at the metal detector Gerold lol...  :lol:

Lauda Air, Business Class, approx. 2004:

WP_20160226_Lauda.jpg

42 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

You mean you are still married to her after having your model aircraft binned. Christ, how far do people have to go before they get divorced these days:lol::lol::lol:

I used to have a fine collection of Kolsh & weissbier glasses... liberated and then wrapped in hotel toilet paper & carefully placed in my luggage to make it back home...

These glasses were fond memories from my many times spent at wonderful bierkellers & micro breweries with my colleagues in Germany...one day she removed them all from their respective shelves in my 'man cave' and washed them all in the dish washer...thus removing all the wonderful print and detail on them...they also ended up in the bin -_-

God knows how I have made it to 27 years of marriage!!! (oops just been told 29 years)

I still have my Virgin Boeing 747 "Hot Lips" limited serial model from a past flight in my sim room, I bet most of us have a model aircraft (or cutlery in Gerolds case ^_^) in our sim pits...anybody got any interesting aircraft model examples?...I love the miniture aircraft models...would be easy to spend / waste a lot of money on them if I had time...only beverage item I have is my boeing mug...

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Now we know why airlines serve finger food, too many passengers heist the cutlery.  :ph34r:

9 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

I bet we can all guess why they wouldn't hand out steel utensils any more. :(:angry:

Cheers,

Better getting steel knives out of the plane than into. We used to use them at home for the kids when they were small, for safety resons - no way to get hurt with them.

8 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

I guess there is an market for this as well

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/airline-cutlery

Amazing what people collect. 

6 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

Indeed, unbelievable. And ridiculous prices!

5 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

So I could get an American cutlery set with the trays and purchase frozen TV dinners so half way through a PMDG 777 flight using the American livery I could microwave my TV dinner and eat it with my American cutlery. Now we are getting as real as it gets. :D

5 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

"liberated" is a great word in this context. And fits to the Lauda stuff: I am glad that I´ve got it - still love the airline though it has been long time digested into Austrian, then Tyrolean (for reasons of cost cutting = profit enhancement).

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

One should have her tolerate more simming add-ons after this brutal, heartless activity.

4 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

I used to have a fine collection of Kolsh & weissbier glasses... liberated and then wrapped in hotel toilet paper & carefully placed in my luggage to make it back home...

These glasses were fond memories from my many times spent at wonderful bierkellers & micro breweries with my colleagues in Germany...one day she removed them all from their respective shelves in my 'man cave' and washed them all in the dish washer...thus removing all the wonderful print and detail on them...they also ended up in the bin -_-

God knows how I have made it to 27 years of marriage!!! (oops just been told 29 years)

These memories are exactly why I like these cutlery. Buying them on ebay would be nonsense...

The dish washer story would be the next cruelty ending up in lots of clean, tidy simming add-ons...

Great Sunday discussion here, mates, keep sharing!

9 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

I forgot to comment on that: Absolutely "as real as it gets", a very nice idea :P!

I want to start collecting aircraft models but what is stopping me is my toddler at home and lack of space. I currently have an extensive collection of HO Scale Model Railway in 1950's Canadian Steam and Diesel and Rolling Stock. Unfortunately that stuff is locked away due to my Toddler wanting to get her hands on it. I would love to collect the model aircraft as well. 

Best thing about collecting Flight Sim models and scenery is it is safe and sound on your hard drives and backup storage, as a hobby this one is a great one.

Archived