NZQN no shadow under my aircraft

Mikelab6

2 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi,

No aircraft shadow appears under my selected aircraft both on runway or taxiway.  Someone else having this behavior ?

Thanks !

I would assume you mean in the P3Dv3?  And, the aircraft cast shadow and receives shadow turned on?

Running both FSX with DX10 fixer and P3Dv3 at DX12 is all so comfy and no issues with shading?

I do not have DX10 fixer but run FSX and P3Dv3 on WinX.  No issues between them.  Of course FSX is 99% a place holder for some scenery I am wanting to port over to my P3D.  No other use do I have for FSX.

Wish you luck in finding the gremlin.

I see shadows fine in my old FSX/DX10 Fixer and P3Dv3. I agree with EGE001 - that you maybe haven't ticked the right boxes (if in P3D).

There used to be an elevation problem at NZQN (search the forum). I seem to remember a file that maybe needed to be disabled. I didn't need to do it for my new quad NZQN/P3Dv3 install, but maybe I did it years ago for FSX. Maybe the elevation error (though invisible) is throwing the shadows off - ie. they're being drawn, but then masked out by the runways etc. <??>. Also - maybe try different mesh settings.

Like EGE001, I'm in P3Dv3 99% of the time these days. All the aircraft+add-ons I need are now transferred - just waiting for the odd FTX airport.

Adam.

Is your NZQN scenery layer above NZSI?

This is what I see. Note the AI jet also gets a shadow:

nzqn_shadows_01_1024.jpg

Static objects get shadows - as do the buildings.
nzqn_shadows_02_1024.jpg

Try moving your aircraft to near a building - see if it casts a shadow on it.

I'm all out of ideas now. Ed's your man, I think!

Adam.

6 minutes ago, Ed Correia said:

Has to be some setting that is not ticked - Adam does not have a special personal edition :)

:lol: ...  the only difference I can see is is that I don't have FTX Global. Neither do I have any non-ORBX or freeware scenery installed for NZ (eg. VLC or any Windowlight areas).

In that YSCB thread, I suggested toggling every switch/option to *ON* ... I was only half joking. If you do manage to get shadows to appear by this "sledgehammer to crack a nut" approach, then work your way backwards, turning things off one by one until you find the culprit.

Adam.

If your shadow options are ticked then you should see normal shadows at NZQN. Perhaps there is an issue with your shaders.

Can I suggest you delete them and let P3D rebuild them. to do this, go to C:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders and delete the entire folder. When you restart P3D, these shaders will be completely rebuilt. 

I already stated that I have my shadows back when I tick "simobjects cast/receive shadows". Normaly "aircraft cast shadows" should be enough. It is a little like "turn on ligts in sleeping room to get light in the kitchen ...

Cheers

Followed HJMX solution as he said on his post  "setting has to be set to "simobjects receive shadows" for the user airplane to cast shadow" and it works.

I am now just wondering, why I have to turn this ON only for this airport ?  Is this option ''ON'' will create a performance drop in other situations (city with many buildings, traffic, etc) ?

Thanks all !    

1 hour ago, Mikelab6 said:

I am now just wondering, why I have to turn this ON only for this airport ?  Is this option ''ON'' will create a performance drop in other situations (city with many buildings, traffic, etc) ?

Great to hear you're sorted. I think your question has been answered (by Ed, I think) in some other thread: that it depends on the individual scenery developers and how they choose to do the shadowing. I seem to remember that post mentioning other airports (in NA) that do things in a similar way - so NZQN isn't unique in that respect.

The good thing about P3D is that you can enable/disable shadowing options on the fly - without a sim restart - so you can always turn that setting off after leaving the immediate airport vicinity.

Adam.

Archived