Aerobatic Pilots ..I need advice

Gavin Stewart

Hi everyone

I have been presented the opportunity to get an aerobatic rating on a Yak-52, which will include getting a warbird rating (required in SA). Are there any pilots on this forum who can give an opinion on the value that the ratings will offer ? Also, if you have had any aerobatic training, how has this benefited you and would you recommend it ?

I need to come up with a list of pros and cons and then make a decision. The cost of this training is quite high so it is not a small insignificant decision to be made.

Some background: I have a PPL with a C172, PA28 - 140, PA28 - 181 and Bat Hawk on my license. I have 110 hours, am busy with my night rating and am working towards an instruction position at my flight school. I will be getting  Single IF CPL initially. I will get my multi-engine rating later on.

This may not be the best place to ask but I respect this online community the most.

Any input will be appreciated

Thanks

Got to fly in a Yak 18 and loved it.

Never got my PP, severly injured my neck, will get my SP eventually.

At the very least you will have tons of fun and master more control over the plane in all axis.

You will be able to recover from almost any attitude providing there is sufficient altitude once you have that experience.

Aerobatic rating is always worthwhile , it has safety implications.

If you ever get caught out in an unusual attitude , it will help you recover to a normal attitude.

As a part of IFR training you will have to do recovery from unusual attitudes.

Also if you go onto to be an instructor it might come in handy as ab inito student pilots can at times

freeze up or put the aircraft into unusual attitudes.

When you get into unusual attitudes , especially near the ground you are time limited to effect a recovery,

if you have done an aerobatic rating you will recognise the situation and effect the recovery much quicker ,

it's a nice insurance policy.

A pilot once related that he was flying A twin engine Rockwell ( reasonably heavy) on finals when he

hit wake turbulance from a preceeding Heavy airliner , it flipped him inverted , not very nice when

you are that close to the ground , he told me that his rapid response to recover the aircraft to

upright condition was due to his aerobatic rating and experience in aero's.

Not as dramatic , but on one occasion I was on Base leg at Moorabbin , so my altitude was between

500' - 1,000' agl , when another aircraft blundered through the circuit pattern , it was a direct head on

situation , I applied full power and banked to what felt like a knife edge and pulled into a hard turn,

close enough to see the proverbial whites of his eyes , he was looking down in the cockpit at the time.

i still wonder why we didn't make contact , I lost about 200' of altitude in the turn , I looked over my shoulder

he was steady , no wobbles , I suspect that he never saw me.

It was low speed , low altitude , dangerously close to the stall scenario , long live aerobatics !

While there are cheaper ways to get an aerobatic rating , I think it would be loverly to have the Yak-52

in your log book , if it's affordable , go for it.

Cheers

Karol

As a retired Naval Aviator I am, of course, prejudiced in regards to aerobatic training.  If you can possibly afford to do so, you will never regret it.  Your knowledge of stick n' rudder flying techniques will forever serve you making you a better aviator as opposed to just a pilot.  The safety factor alone is worth the cost if you intend to make flying a way of life.  Although modern aircraft are very stable and make you work very hard to get into dangerous situations it only takes once to 'spoil your whole day' as they say.

Airshow flying and Instructing acrobatics of course are glamours and exceptional goals but, there is a very limited opportunity for doing so.  The benefits are your personal development in piloting skills and recognition of dangerous situations before they develop to the point of no return. 

The old adage of "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but, there are no old bold pilots" has much truth in it.  Aerobatic training allows you to become an "OLD" pilot by being "BOLD" correctly.  Go for it if possible!

I think it would be much more valuable to do your training in a Citabria. Nearly all my flying has been in one and not only would you be able to get a hell of a lot more time in you would also be able to fly a plane with a tail wheel.

It's a cost versus value kind of thing.  Any aerobatic training is worth while - knowing how to get right side up again is always good and, if you're planning to use this professionally, the YAK is a definite step up from the usual 'beefed up' Champs, Cessnas and such. 

15 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Any money you spend on training is an investment in your career, do you see yourself getting a good return on that investment?  Either through paid airshow performances or aerobatics instruction?

Hi Bruce. Thanks for the reply. I do, potentially,  see a return on that investment. I have spoken to the owner of my flight school and according to him (and all my instructors), I will definitely be a step ahead of the others when it comes to being hired at my flight school.

Getting that first flying job is a huge step forward and if its the aero rating that makes the difference, then that's the way to go.

15 hours ago, COBS said:

Aerobatic rating is always worthwhile , it has safety implications.

If you ever get caught out in an unusual attitude , it will help you recover to a normal attitude.

As a part of IFR training you will have to do recovery from unusual attitudes.

Also if you go onto to be an instructor it might come in handy as ab inito student pilots can at times

freeze up or put the aircraft into unusual attitudes.

When you get into unusual attitudes , especially near the ground you are time limited to effect a recovery,

if you have done an aerobatic rating you will recognise the situation and effect the recovery much quicker ,

it's a nice insurance policy.

A pilot once related that he was flying A twin engine Rockwell ( reasonably heavy) on finals when he

hit wake turbulance from a preceeding Heavy airliner , it flipped him inverted , not very nice when

you are that close to the ground , he told me that his rapid response to recover the aircraft to

upright condition was due to his aerobatic rating and experience in aero's.

Not as dramatic , but on one occasion I was on Base leg at Moorabbin , so my altitude was between

500' - 1,000' agl , when another aircraft blundered through the circuit pattern , it was a direct head on

situation , I applied full power and banked to what felt like a knife edge and pulled into a hard turn,

close enough to see the proverbial whites of his eyes , he was looking down in the cockpit at the time.

i still wonder why we didn't make contact , I lost about 200' of altitude in the turn , I looked over my shoulder

he was steady , no wobbles , I suspect that he never saw me.

It was low speed , low altitude , dangerously close to the stall scenario , long live aerobatics !

While there are cheaper ways to get an aerobatic rating , I think it would be loverly to have the Yak-52

in your log book , if it's affordable , go for it.

Cheers

Karol

Hi Karol. Thanks for the in depth reply. Your advice has a lot of sense in it. At the end of the day, any training that can save your life is valuable training. You obviously appreciate that, based on your experience :)I have been in the Yak before and it is one amazing bird !

10 hours ago, BOZ said:

I think it would be much more valuable to do your training in a Citabria. Nearly all my flying has been in one and not only would you be able to get a hell of a lot more time in you would also be able to fly a plane with a tail wheel.

Boz, you have a valid point, that's for sure. The reason I am going for the Yak is that it is owned by my PPL instructor who is the best instructor I have ever come across. I have flown with ten other instructors and he is miles ahead of the others. The value of his experience and sound knowledge are worth the extra cost involved. Having said that, I agree that a tail-dragger endorsement would also be a huge benefit. Thanks for the advice

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

It's a cost versus value kind of thing.  Any aerobatic training is worth while - knowing how to get right side up again is always good and, if you're planning to use this professionally, the YAK is a definite step up from the usual 'beefed up' Champs, Cessnas and such. 

Thanks Oldendirt. It certainly s a step up from the others. I am hooked on the sound and power of that 360hp radial..:rolleyes:

Archived