Airport food

Hi all. Felts Field here in Spokane, Washington, has a little café that makes the best hamburgers ever. My question is, where else is there really good airport food? I don't mean the VIP lounges in the majors, but rather the little café in that little airstrip or regional that is your favorite hidden culinary treasure.

And if you are ever in Northern California, south of Redding about an hour....South of Corning and Orland is a small town called Willows, little muni airstrip....nice 9 hole golf course right down the road, Glenn Golf and Country Club.....try Nancy's Airport Cafe....great chicken...among other things.  You can guess, I've been there!

IMG_20150405_172835_edita.jpg

Santa Fe (KSAF), and Double Eagle in Albuquerque both had good food, but it's been a long time and can't confirm they're still there.  These are not Orbxfied airports, but Jefferson County near Port Townsend has a great restaurant that Matt mentioned above, and it's full-on Orbx to boot.

Hmm...  there are two good reasons to visit an airport restaurant to my mind - good food and good plane watching.  Here're two of my favorites which offer both.

At my home airport KGXY (Greeley, CO), 'The Barnstormer' is in the small terminal building with large windows facing out to the main ramp area and Rwy 10/28.  Saturday and Sunday mornings when the wx is good you'll find a steady stream of planes arriving and departing for good solid breakfasts.  The service can be a bit slow when things are hopping, and the food is solidly in the good-not-great category - standard small cafe fare - but the atmosphere can't be beat and the prices are reasonable.

A bit further south at KAPA (Centennial, a busy reliever airport at the S end of metro Denver) you'll find 'The Perfect Landing'.  Here, the food is actually quite upscale and very good, and the view can't be beat.  The restaurant has a second floor location, also right on the ramp at the Jet Center with constant private and corporate GA traffic and good views of the main Rwys 17L/35R.

Scott

Archived