How to Upgrade 3.0 -> 3.1 with Orbx Preserved

Hi All,

I need to upgrade from V3.0 to V3.1. I have the 3.1 full installer unzipped and ready. However... I have a ton of Orbx V3-compatible scenery installed in 3.0.

Is there any way I can do the upgrade without having to reinstall the Orbx scenery (which would take days)??

Thanks in advance for your help ---

Best,

Lucky :)

//////

I did a full (!) update after deinstallation of v3.0. Left all folders and configs intact. After update to 3.1. all addons (!) running. Only manually to re-install was FTX Global (for obvious reasons) and FSX HD trees as well as ASN new beta. Took me me about one hour. Happy camper here.

Addons: FTX regions and airports, FSDT and FT airports, some AS airports, FSGlobal, Ultimate Terrain V2, MT6, PMDG 737 and 777, A2A C172.

Cheers

- Harry

30 minutes ago, hjmx said:

I did a full (!) update after deinstallation of v3.0. Left all folders and configs intact. After update to 3.1. all addons (!) running. Only manually to re-install was FTX Global (for obvious reasons) and FSX HD trees as well as ASN new beta. Took me me about one hour. Happy camper here.

Addons: FTX regions and airports, FSDT and FT airports, some AS airports, FSGlobal, Ultimate Terrain V2, MT6, PMDG 737 and 777, A2A C172.

Cheers

- Harry

I did the same....  

5 hours ago, Chunk said:

1. Uninstall the P3D v3 client, via add/remove programs in Windows.

2. Install ONLY the P3D v3.1 client.msi, from the full installer package.

+1

No need to reinstall content and scenery. and then nothing to do apart re activation of the licence. And all run well after !

2 hours ago, Piper9t3 said:

Follow Chunk's steps but you should download the client.msi file as opposed to the full 3.1 installer already downloaded. 

The full installer include client, scenery and content all in different msi file. So no need to download the client.msi

Hi,

but.. is it worth to install the Scenery and the Content too, apart from the Client? I haven't seen so many changes, after all. And I'm quite afraid to loose the lots and lots of add-ons installed so far.

Fulvio

The good question is "is that usefull for me to install scenery and content.msi ?"

The changes of those 2 items :

Prepar3D Content

General Updates

• Fixed Beech Baron virtual cockpit light offsets
    • Additional updates to the India Foxt Echo F-35A

Prepar3D Scenery

General Updates

• Minimal accuracy changes for five south-eastern United States of America airports
    • Updated coastlines, lakes, rivers, and elevation model in Singapore

...... as you can see not really usefull ... 

16 hours ago, Chunk said:

12 hours ago, Piper9t3 said:

Follow Chunk's steps but you should download the client.msi file as opposed to the full 3.1 installer already downloaded. 

11 hours ago, hjmx said:

Cheers

- Harry

10 hours ago, EGE001 said:

I did the same....  

10 hours ago, jlsaghaa said:

+1

No need to reinstall content and scenery. and then nothing to do apart re activation of the licence. And all run well after !

10 hours ago, jlsaghaa said:

The full installer include client, scenery and content all in different msi file. So no need to download the client.msi

10 hours ago, farman said:

Hi,

but.. is it worth to install the Scenery and the Content too, apart from the Client? I haven't seen so many changes, after all. And I'm quite afraid to loose the lots and lots of add-ons installed so far.

Fulvio

9 hours ago, jlsaghaa said:

The good question is "is that usefull for me to install scenery and content.msi ?"

The changes of those 2 items :

Prepar3D Content

General Updates

• Fixed Beech Baron virtual cockpit light offsets
    • Additional updates to the India Foxt Echo F-35A

Prepar3D Scenery

General Updates

• Minimal accuracy changes for five south-eastern United States of America airports
    • Updated coastlines, lakes, rivers, and elevation model in Singapore

...... as you can see not really usefull ... 

Wow. First off I must say I am overwhelmed by how you have each so generously and quickly come forward to solve my problem. Thank you so much!

I'm going to uninstall only the client from the Windows Control Panel and then install only the P3D v3.1 client.msi from the full installer package.

Will post the results here, and hopefully they will be good.

Thanks again for your unhesitating help, really appreciate it!

Best,

Lucky  :)

///////////////

Well, the only thing worth a reinstalltion is the F-35 update by Dino Cattaneo. But in this case I would buy the paywere, since Dino told me that the P3D version is, of course, quite "minimal", like the other default planes.

On 1/1/2016 at 0:55 PM, Chunk said:

Hi, apart from the fact that the Content.msi would just do two -let's say minor- modifications to aircraft, is there something else to fear about installing such portion regarding ORBX scenery already present in v3.0?.

Just curious,

Cheers,

Edward

Just as a warning for anyone reading this, thinking about updating to v3.1.

Uninstalling the client, and then installing the new v3.1 client.msi, left me with a corrupted scenery.cfg hence my sim is unable to load at this moment in time.

Whenever I load P3D now, it will bring up numerous scenery.cfg file-errors (see attachment), and after clicking all these away the sim will abort initializing (clicking either yes or no will give the same result).

Anyone any suggestion how to fix this to prevent the necessity for a complete reinstall?

I really don't care too much about a complete re-install as I just finished doing this for v3.0, and with all the add-on's nowadays, this is a very time consuming process.

Schermafdruk 2016-01-05 09.59.44.jpg

The scenery folder is a core folder.

If it cannot be found, it will be for one of two reasons.

Either it is missing from the root folder or more likely,

the many scenery library entries do not point to its present location.

You will need to check both of these before you go any further.

3 hours ago, Micharrr said:

Just as a warning for anyone reading this, thinking about updating to v3.1.

Uninstalling the client, and then installing the new v3.1 client.msi, left me with a corrupted scenery.cfg hence my sim is unable to load at this moment in time.

Whenever I load P3D now, it will bring up numerous scenery.cfg file-errors (see attachment), and after clicking all these away the sim will abort initializing (clicking either yes or no will give the same result).

Anyone any suggestion how to fix this to prevent the necessity for a complete reinstall?

I really don't care too much about a complete re-install as I just finished doing this for v3.0, and with all the add-on's nowadays, this is a very time consuming process.

Schermafdruk 2016-01-05 09.59.44.jpg

Over the last few weeks, there were quite a few people moving to 3.1., and the almost unanimous experience is that it is swift and painless. Relief sighs were audible even through the internet :) . Only problem for OrbXies is that you've to reinstall Global, a minor annoyance after doing 2.5 and 3.0 in a few months. So it seems the problem is on your side. 

Did you make the uninstall according to LM instructions using the Windows control panel and was yours a standard install  (no cross install on several disks for instance) ? 

3 minutes ago, luckyb52 said:

As mentioned earlier, I uninstalled only the 3.0 client and installed the 3.1 client.msi from the full install folder I downloaded from LM. I'm not seeing any problem with Orbx scenery ---

Best,

Lucky

If you had Global Base in 3.0, you need to reinstall it  'cause it was wiped out.

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

The scenery folder is a core folder.

If it cannot be found, it will be for one of two reasons.

Either it is missing from the root folder or more likely,

the many scenery library entries do not point to its present location.

You will need to check both of these before you go any further.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I messed around for a bit, and then found that the installer wasn't automatically pointed to my actual install folder. Hence the new prepar3d.exe was installed in default install location on my C drive, where P3D wasn't actually installed.

So I uninstalled the client-portion, and reinstalled with the installer redirected to my actual P3D install folder. Problems solved.

Just one of those Homer Simpson's "Dooohh", hit myself on the forehead, moments. *shame*

15 minutes ago, Micharrr said:

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I messed around for a bit, and then found that the installer wasn't automatically pointed to my actual install folder. Hence the new prepar3d.exe was installed in default install location on my C drive, where P3D wasn't actually installed.

So I uninstalled the client-portion, and reinstalled with the installer redirected to my actual P3D install folder. Problems solved.

Just one of those Homer Simpson's "Dooohh", hit myself on the forehead, moments. *shame*

happy for you !

Archived